Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #1996
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@linpinger: Unless you spend your time rebooting/restarting the framework, have a crapload of custom screensavers, or use non-standard format/sizes for them, no, it shouldn't significantly alter battery life.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #1997
eddie303
eddie303 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@eddie303: Make sure you're putting the file in the root of your Kindle, and not anywhere else (Check the Wiki).
Thanks for your patience, I have put the files in the right place, and nothing happened. However I found out that doing the same exact thing from under Linux actually worked (first I tried from Windows 7) and installed the 3.2.1 jailbreak and USBNetwork happily.

Problem solved.
eddie303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #1998
linpinger
linpinger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@linpinger: Unless you spend your time rebooting/restarting the framework, have a crapload of custom screensavers, or use non-standard format/sizes for them, no, it shouldn't significantly alter battery life.
Thank For the reply, i have some Pictures are not 600*800 size, I'll get a try, Thanks
linpinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #1999
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Hi everyone!

On the basis of your amazing work, I wrote a little user interface that helps non-experts install the jailbreak and the screensaver hack more easily. You can find it here:

http://www.kubizo.com/changing-kindle-screensaver.php

Any feedback about it would be most welcome. I used Yifan Lu's jailbreak.

On that page I put a link to this website to give credit to the authors of the hacks. If you have personal websites you prefer me to link to, just let me know!

Kubizo
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #2000
pdagenius
Enthusiast
pdagenius is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3g + wifi Firmware: 3.2.1
Amazon Updates

With the new Kindle coming out, I don't want to be caught out unawares with Amazon rolling out a software update which gets installed without my knowledge.

I have a Kindle 3 with 3.2.1 firmware, jailbreak and various hacks installed. Please can someone advise if I need to disable updates (or has this happened by virtue of the hacks I have installed anyway) and the correct way to do this.

pdagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #2001
greyTraveler
Enthusiast
greyTraveler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
@pdagenius:

Check this previous post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1984
greyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:40 AM   #2002
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubizo View Post
Hi everyone!

On the basis of your amazing work, I wrote a little user interface that helps non-experts install the jailbreak and the screensaver hack more easily. You can find it here:

http://www.kubizo.com/changing-kindle-screensaver.php

Any feedback about it would be most welcome. I used Yifan Lu's jailbreak.

On that page I put a link to this website to give credit to the authors of the hacks. If you have personal websites you prefer me to link to, just let me know!

Kubizo
sorry, does this software work on kindle 3 wifi with KSO??
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #2003
greyTraveler
Enthusiast
greyTraveler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderserdar View Post
sorry, does this software work on kindle 3 wifi with KSO??
The screen saver hack does not work on KSO. If custom screen savers are important to you, I understand that for $30 Amazon will remove special offers from your Kindle. That might help, but I don't know of anyone who has gone that route.
greyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #2004
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Heads up!

I just read on this very forum, FW 3.3 is out!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=171

Link from Amazon is http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

As far as I understood all hacks are safe and sound...
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #2005
jglerner
Connoisseur

More:

Kindle Keyboard Version 3.3 Overview

Some of the features included in this update are:

Download your archived Personal Documents on Kindle Keyboard: You can now view and download your archived personal documents to your Kindle Keyboard conveniently anywhere at any time. Your personal documents will be stored in your Kindle library until you delete them from Manage Your Kindle.

Whispersync for Personal Documents on Kindle Keyboard: Just as with Kindle books, Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for personal documents (with the exception of PDFs) across the Kindle devices. Learn more about Kindle Personal Document Service on www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments

AmazonLocal deals on Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers: Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers users in many regions can now view,purchase, and redeem AmazonLocal deals directly from Kindle Keyboard -- no computer, no printer, no hassle. AmazonLocal offers savings up to 75% off products and services from businesses in your city, national chains and online merchants. Learn more about AmazonLocal on www.amazonlocal.com.

Voice Guide Shortcut: Kindle Keyboard users can now quickly turn the Voice Guide feature on and off by holding the Shift key and pressing Spacebar. Voice Guide reads aloud menu options, content listings and item descriptions. To learn more about using Voice Guide on Kindle Keyboard, visit Customize Your Reading on Kindle.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #2006
jglerner
Connoisseur

More from Amazon site above:

"Determine your software version: From Home, select Menu, then Settings. On the Settings screen you will see the Kindle version at the bottom of the screen. If you see "Version Kindle 3.1" or earlier (3.1.2, 3.0.3, 3.0.2, 3.0.1, or 3.0), please proceed with the steps below to update your Kindle Keyboard to the latest software."

As per Polyphemus, post bellow, FW 3.2.1 is also upgradable.

Last edited by jglerner; 10-14-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Correcting my thoughts
Old 10-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #2007
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglerner View Post
More from Amazon site above:

"Determine your software version: From Home, select Menu, then Settings. On the Settings screen you will see the Kindle version at the bottom of the screen. If you see "Version Kindle 3.1" or earlier (3.1.2, 3.0.3, 3.0.2, 3.0.1, or 3.0), please proceed with the steps below to update your Kindle Keyboard to the latest software."

So, this version is not intended for people with firmware version 3.2.1, I think.
I just updated my Kindle Keyboard 3g SO from 3.2.1 to 3.3 earlier today. So far it is working fine.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #2008
SRVBluesman
SRVBluesman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (with screen saver hack)
First post. Can anyone confirm that this update works on jailbroken kindle with Screensaver hack?

This is the first time an update has come while my kindle is jailbroken.
SRVBluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #2009
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Short answer: everything's fine on 3.3.
Hint: The first post has been updated accordingly.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #2010
Millbrook
Reader
Millbrook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Just updated my Kindle Keyboard 3g from firmware 3.1 to 3.3. Install of the jailbreak for 3.2.1 fails. Maybe this is because I never had firmware 3.2.1 installed?
Millbrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet