Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
My Nook updateded itself

When I went to use my Nook tonight I found it was updated to firmware 1.3. I didn't do anything on my own to update it. It was just done. That didn't happen with firmware 1.2. I had softrooted my Nook and it appears the update didn't affect the softroot. I guess now if I flash to the newer softroot I'll have to first go back to firmware 1.1. It seems like I should of had a choice to update or not.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
notice anything different with 1.3 ?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
While I can understand the need for the less tech-savvy, I really despise having wireless devices call the mothership without my permission. I usually keep mine in airplane mode, but I turned on wifi the other day and it immediately connected and started the download.

As stated here in other posts, the update doesn't address some of the nook's most sought after concerns (like eBook organization, goto page, etc.). It added chess and sudoku, a web browser for connecting to wifi spots that require http authentication, and moved the wifi settings to its own icon, rather than burying it in "settings" (though it's still there is as well.)

As far as performance, I really can't tell a difference. I never complained about the speed of page turns since I've used eInk screens for years and know to hit the next-page button slightly ahead of time.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
When I went to use my Nook tonight I found it was updated to firmware 1.3. I didn't do anything on my own to update it. It was just done. That didn't happen with firmware 1.2. I had softrooted my Nook and it appears the update didn't affect the softroot. I guess now if I flash to the newer softroot I'll have to first go back to firmware 1.1. It seems like I should of had a choice to update or not.

~eddie
Yes you will have to downgrade and then reroot. You can make an alteration to prevent unwanted downloads. Enter this thru Adb mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
notice anything different with 1.3 ?
Page turns do seem a little faster not that it was too slow for me before. My wife has a Kindle 2 and her pages changed about a second faster. They are probably equal now. I don't know if it is me but the touch screen seems to respond a little faster and smoother. Then there are the new features I guess you already know about.

~eddie
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
While I can understand the need for the less tech-savvy, I really despise having wireless devices call the mothership without my permission. I usually keep mine in airplane mode, but I turned on wifi the other day and it immediately connected and started the download.
I wouldn't have mined it as much except I wanted to flash the new softroot version without having to downgrade first. But still it should be an option for those who are satisfied with what they had.

~eddie
Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Yes you will have to downgrade and then reroot. You can make an alteration to prevent unwanted downloads. Enter this thru Adb mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak
Thanks for that tip.

~eddie
Old 04-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks also
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote