Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-28-2006, 05:20 AM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Chinese iLiad with content source

Found this link on iRex forum: http://www.jcnip.com/Filux_iRex.asp
My Chinese wife has been busy surfing it for us.

Seems you get 2 day delivery of iLiad's in China, from eBay no less.

You get 10 CD's of ebooks with the unit.

You can download/purchase content for your Chinese iLiad. (wife is busy grabbing ebooks right now)

The EBA ebook viewer is faster than the PDF viewer and with more features.

iRex also offered that if you send them an email they can hook you up with the Chinese software via iDS, or you can wait and MyIrex will allow you to choose in the future.

In the meantime, they have downloadable content and we've got... Crime and Punishment wasn't it?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
Janus
Janus began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
If I am correct:
This is actually a chinese content provider that also resells the iLiad. I think the EBA viewer has been developed by them for their content on the iLiad. Also notice that the price at which they sell is higher (probably due to the "free ebooks" )

I think we can expect similar stuff in the west once content providers will jump on the iRex train.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
scotty, how much does it cost to purchase the iLiad from China?

And also, do you have any screenshots of the EBA ebook viewer? ;-)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
donkaarlos
Junior Iliad User
donkaarlos began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad GONE - kindle & Kyobo
Thanks Scotty, this is interesting. In China there seems to be some activity on the ebook front. With my 100.- EUR Easyread device I was able to download a free copy of a Chinese newspaper for some time "The daily news (EBK format) can be downloaded from http://cdaily.com.hk". That was two years ago. The file download seems to have disappeared. At that time there were many similar devices on the chinese market (minibu, jinke and later in Taiwan kolin). Now "Iliad" and Jinke V2&V8 push for a next try with e-ink devices.
donkaarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
scotty, how much does it cost to purchase the iLiad from China?

And also, do you have any screenshots of the EBA ebook viewer? ;-)
iLiad is sold for about ¥9,000 in China, that's around USD1,100

I just got the email from iRex that confirmed my iLiad (MAC address) has been switched to Chinese iDS database. Then I connected my iLiad (European version) to iDS, it download some additional softwares including Chinese fonts and EBA viewer.

I have tested the EBA format, it looks pretty good, I think it is even better than XEB, with faster paging speed and 3 font size setting in the viewer.

Last edited by each; 08-28-2006 at 02:26 PM.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
each
Connoisseur

Here are the pictures of EBA viewer:

EBA Viewer with small font size

EBA Viewer with medium font size

EBA Viewer with large font size
Old 08-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by each
I just got the email from iRex that confirmed my iLiad (MAC address) has been switched to Chinese iDS database. Then I connected my iLiad (European version) to iDS, it download some additional softwares including Chinese fonts and EBA viewer.
So all you did was to tell them your MAC address and they did the rest for you? That means they must keep a database of each iLiad associated to a MAC address and handle downloads etc. via iDS accordingly.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
each
Connoisseur

I think so, I posted my question about the difference between Chinese and European versions in iRex's forum. They told me the basic softwares are the same for European and Chinese iLiads. However the Chinese iLiads receive different additional softwares such as EBA viewer and additional Chinese fonts.
I sent an email with the MAC address and telling them that I would like to use those Chinese softwares, got the reply as below:

Quote:
info@irextechnologies.com +Add contact
To: lunarwater@msn.com
Subject: FW: switch to Chinese iDS
Dear Mr Wu,

Herewith I would like to confirm that you have been switch to the Chinese iDS database.

Kind Regards,
The iRex Team,
www.iRexTechnologies.com
Old 08-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by each
I sent an email with the MAC address and telling them that I would like to use those Chinese softwares, got the reply as below:
Interesting. Thanks for letting us know!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:07 AM   #10
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
The Chinese fonts are beautiful!
I am a tranditional Chinese user.
I wish the iLiad can support tranditional Chinese and Japanese, too.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Interesting. Thanks for letting us know!
They also said they'd be making setting English/Chinese a "MyIrex feature" in the future ie someday it will be self-serve to flip back and forth.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:48 AM   #12
Enigma
Enigma began at the beginning.

Could you advise how to get MAC? thx
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:57 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
Could you advise how to get MAC? thx
You can figure it out through your device's serial number. More here.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:00 AM   #14
Enigma
Enigma began at the beginning.

Got it, thanks.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
This thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18161 suggests that getting access to the IDS server somehow makes it such that you lose functionality? Can anyone clarify that?

I'm not sure I understand the differences between the Chinese and other versions .... I'm in China though and starting to consider an iliad. I'd like having the Chinese fonts and all, but if I'm going to buy one of these I want full use of the wifi access, whatever that access is.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote