Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
'Scanning' bookshelves yesterday w/a dust cloth and recalling Bob Russell 's informative thread of last October, I finally got around to ordering the Opticbook A4 from:
Provantage, which has both the 3600 A4 and the Plus ($223 y $263).
http://www.provantage.com/plustek-91...1~4PLUS003.htm
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #17
Camann
Camann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
'Scanning' bookshelves yesterday w/a dust cloth and recalling Bob Russell 's informative thread of last October, I finally got around to ordering the Opticbook A4 from:
Provantage, which has both the 3600 A4 and the Plus ($223 y $263).
http://www.provantage.com/plustek-91...1~4PLUS003.htm
I just bought the 3600 Plus from Newegg ($250 plus free shipping). I kept vacillating between the basic model and the Plus. I read many reviews about the iffy quality/functionality of the software on the Plus. I think most people advise obtaining additional software anyway. I'm fairly tech-challenged. So, since the price difference between the two models was low, I thought I'd take a chance that what's in the box will enable me to achieve my goal of scanning and converting books to pdf files for use on my reader.
Camann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I bought the OpticBook 3600 a few months ago and am really happy with it.

On average it takes me about 2 hours to scan an entire book.

The biggest problem then is correcting the mistakes... While there are few mistakes on the whole, ABBY Reader still like to highlight hundreds of things it believes might be errors (most of which aren't!!!) That part of the process takes several hours (which I do in batches when I ave the time).

Finally I edit the document in Word and convert to LRF.

In total it probably takes around 10 hours per book.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
On average it takes me about 2 hours to scan an entire book.
100 pages in 20 minutes is the average time I do.

Quote:
The biggest problem then is correcting the mistakes... While there are few mistakes on the whole, ABBY Reader still like to highlight hundreds of things it believes might be errors (most of which aren't!!!) That part of the process takes several hours (which I do in batches when I ave the time).
Personally, I just can't stand doing it in FineReader. Generally I just produce a HTML file, convert it to LRF and put it into my Reader. Then I read the book normally, bookmarking every page with errors. When I have some 20-30 pages marked, I go through the them again, correcting the HTML file.

While this approach does take its time, it seems a lot more efficient than correcting in FR - I would have wanted to read the book anyway, so that time would be spent in any case. Basically, it only costs me the time to go through the bookmarked pages and correcting their errors.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote