Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
AdrianC
AdrianC began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Some Calibre PDF>Mobi conversion advise please

Hi,

So I downloaded the free PDF version of Perdido Street Station, the only version I could get in Australia.

I attempted to convert the PDF to Mobi using Calibre but the output was pretty nasty. The headers/footers were converted and the page numbering too.

Can anyone suggest some settings to help me improve my PDF > Mobi conversions please?
AdrianC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
tootees
tootees began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & PocketPC
I'd like to know, too...

Currently my only reader is a pocket pc with mobipocket reader installed. My public library has many more books available in Adobe Digital Editions format (don't know it by any other name). Can I still use calibre to convert the Adobe DE to Mobipocket? How?

Also, I have been looking at the Sony PRS-505 (reasonably priced on eBay), but none of the specs says specifically if it has Adobe DE installed or on the software. Anybody know? Thanks for your time.
Cheers,
Terri T.
tootees is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I use Mobicreator to convert PDF to Mobi. It isn't perfect, but it looks better than the result I get from Calibre.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootees View Post
Currently my only reader is a pocket pc with mobipocket reader installed. My public library has many more books available in Adobe Digital Editions format (don't know it by any other name). Can I still use calibre to convert the Adobe DE to Mobipocket? How?
Calibre only converts DRM-free ebooks. See Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented for how to remove Adobe's DRM (encryption). Note that in the US, doing this on ebooks you own may be legal but doing it on lending library ebooks is not. The result is a standard PDF, which Calibre or Windows MobiPocket Reader can format shift to MOBI for you.

All PRS-505's can support ADE. However, if it one of the very first PRS-505s and still has the original firmware on it, you may need to upgrade to the latest firmware to get ADE.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote