Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Nokia 770 Linux-based web device

Nokia unveils Linux-based web device without phone (PalmAddict)

This looks sweet!

Quote:
The new device, dubbed Nokia 770, has a four inch horizontal touch screen that can display normal Internet pages. It will sell for $350 excluding VAT or 350 euros including VAT..."We're launching a completely new product category," said Janne Jormalainen, Nokia's vice president for convergence products at its multimedia devices division.
Update:
Product page: Nokia 770 internet tablet - be sure to check out the specs. (800x480 display!)
Developer site: maemo.org

Update 2:
Hands-on preview: MobileBurn
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
First PalmOne, and now Nokia introducing a "new" product category. I wonder how those analyst geniuses from Gartner are going to deal with this.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Be sure to check out more details at Yahoo News:

Quote:
The product will run entirely on open source software, including a standard Linux operating system also used in desktop computers, marking more unchartered waters for Nokia. "Using standard desktop Linux means innovation is happening faster (than in Linux versions for small devices). We will be very fast in implementing this innovation," Jormalainen said.
Nokia will also launch and support an open source community Web Site, encouraging software developers to hack into the device and improve the product.
I'm really excited about this development, actually more than I was when i first heard about the LifeDrive. The fact that Nokia is using Linux (not Symbian) is especially noteworthy. They do have the clout and capital to make this device a success.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #4
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Wonderful news! Embedded Linux means that a healthy collaborative community can participate in making the operation system of the Nokia device more advanced, faster, and more stable. With the complete project source code being available, the lifecycle stability of the entire project is enhanced. Have you ever seen what Linux gurus make of previously closed-source systems? Look at Microsoft's X-box. Unmodded all you have is a gaming console. But modded, you can run applications from the Linux community, such as Media Player Center, which make the device 10x more valuable.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Product page: Nokia 770 internet tablet

Be sure to check out the specs. (800x480 display!)
Advert
Old 05-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

WLAN: 802.11b/g *grin*
Old 05-25-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed

The developer's site is here: maemo.org
Old 05-25-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
Now if PalmSource could get Palm OS on that Linux, wouldn't that be great. Heck, if it had a harddrive, it might have put PalmOne's Lifedrive back to the drawing board...

It's just a matter of time when Nokia add PIM application to that unit and turn that into a true PDA. So now we had Palm, Windows CE-Mobile, and Embedded Linux-Nokia Edition...

Wonder if that embedded Linux will be Opensourced... Linux is, but whatever Nokia tacked on to that which isn't part of the OS?

Nokia just might have stolen alot of Lifedrive's thunder...

Last edited by gadgetguru; 05-25-2005 at 12:54 PM. Reason: merged two posts
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5

Last edited by gadgetguru; 05-25-2005 at 12:57 PM. Reason: wanted to delete this double post but don't know how.
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
This thing looks very cool! I agree about the hard drive for more internal storage and maybe a normal sized SD slot, but overall it's the perfect wireless PDA that everyone's been asking for.

I, too, believe that Nokia is a big enough vendor that this flavor of Linux will attract enough evelopers to come up with the absolute best app's. It'd be great if I could sync it with my Mac, but I'm sure that there are developers that will make the connectivity real (hacker.)

I especially like the news about next year's model with the VOIP and the IM. It doesn't look too gamer friendly, so maybe it doesn't replace my Z2, and as much as I'd loathe to carry another device, this one would be it if I were to.

Get off your duffs, Palm companies. The competition is heating up.
POL9A

P.S. I wonder how long they've been working on this device. It does seem that it's been announced at this time to take away from the LifeDrive, but it's time that Palm Co.'s see that other companies are in the game as well.
POL9A

Last edited by Pride Of Lions; 05-25-2005 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed

It does have a relatively short battery life, only 3 hours. This makes it less than ideal for e-book reading.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #12
Traecer Prime
Connoisseur
Traecer Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
I have to tell you, this looks sw33t. I'm not sure it could replace my Tungsten T3's PIMs (which isn't the 770's focus anyway), but if I was in the market for a media player/LifeDrive-class device, I'd have to seriously consider it. (It handily beats the LifeDrive on specs; question is, will it live up to the specs?)

There's been rumors that Nokia has been funding the Mozilla Foundations's Minimo project; could the 770 be the reason why?
Traecer Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:57 PM   #13
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traecer Prime
There's been rumors that Nokia has been funding the Mozilla Foundations's Minimo project; could the 770 be the reason why?
Absolutely! It is not the first time that Nokia has been funding open-source projects. I remember when Nokia worked hand in hand with the open source community on developing a DVB API (LinuxTV), a subsystem for digital television (DVB, DTV) receivers, Linux DVD players, and tools to stream audio and video to the net.

Who would have thought that Nokia could become PalmSource's most ferocious competitor
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
The developer's site is here: maemo.org
Thanks I was looking for this link. Did you have a look at the screenshots? Looks tasty.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #15
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Funny other companies let leak out so much information before the official product announcement (like PalmOne and its LifeDrive), while Nokia silently released this killer device!!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote