Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Book Uploads

Why not start uploading books for Sony in epub format?

I realize that leaves the PRS500 users a bit in the lurch, but they do have a tool to convert epub to lrf while we 505 owners have nothing to convert lrf to epub.

All of my library is now epub. I bet that's going to be increasingly true for others as well. I no longer have an interest in downloading lrf format books.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post

I realize that leaves the PRS500 users a bit in the lurch, but they do have a tool to convert epub to lrf while we 505 owners have nothing to convert lrf to epub.

All of my library is now epub. I bet that's going to be increasingly true for others as well. I no longer have an interest in downloading lrf format books.
For me there are two main reasons:
1. I have a Sony PRS500, and want things that I can read too.
2. There needs to be a straightforward conversion tool; one that even I can get my head round.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Oh, and there's no reason why people can't upload in Epub, if they want to: just upload into the 'other books' section. If enough people do so, then Epub may yet get a section of its own.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For now, Calibre does a good job converting MOBI to ePub. See that attached screenshots from Dickens, Charles: A Tale of Two Cities using MobiPocket Reader on the original MOBI and Adobe Digital Editions on the ePub. The only issue I see is that the TOC does not have the "books" labeled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T2C_WMR.gif
Views:	495
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	16711   Click image for larger version

Name:	T2C_ADE.gif
Views:	511
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	16712   Click image for larger version

Name:	T2C_WMR_toc.gif
Views:	499
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	16713  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I'm in the same boat as Patricia, I have a Sony PRS-500 and I also like to red what I convert.

As Patricia said, if enough people start posting ePub books in the "Other" section it may well get its own section. That happened with the IMP ebooks for the eBookwise.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 02:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

What tools are you using to create your ePub books, Jeff?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:58 AM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
For now, Calibre does a good job converting MOBI to ePub. See that attached screenshots from Dickens, Charles: A Tale of Two Cities using MobiPocket Reader on the original MOBI and Adobe Digital Editions on the ePub. The only issue I see is that the TOC does not have the "books" labeled.
Actually the TOC should be a multi-level one in this case, with each book and then inside each book the chapters.

I've been working on the user interface of Feedbooks a lot lately and I'll create a help page and a video tutorial as soon as I can. It's pretty easy to use: you just create the structure of your book first and then fill in the name of the chapters, the text etc... I've started the work on the footnote support for it too: for an optimal result, you can't treat footnotes like normal links, you have to create a separate non-linear flow for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	editor_buttons.png
Views:	394
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	16715   Click image for larger version

Name:	dickens-epub.png
Views:	426
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	16716  
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Good morning Hadrien,

I have downloaded a number of books from www.feedbooks.com which is a fine site.

There appears to be a problem with Ulysses by James Joyce, as I get "Page Error" when I try to open this on my 505. I have read, if I remember correctly, elsewhere on these forums that the problem is to do with the file size of books.

I have tried exporting the book to the 505 via ADE and via Sony eBook Library. I can not open the book on the 505 after either operation.

I have also done a format transfer from .epub to .lrf of the Feedbooks.com "Ulysses" with Calibre and then transferred this file to the 505. This reads on the 505.

What is your recommended practice in such a case?

Many thanks,

kesey
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #9
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What tools are you using to create your ePub books, Jeff?
I'm using mobi2html, calibre, open-office and a text editor. Most my work has been straight conversion.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
Good morning Hadrien,

I have downloaded a number of books from www.feedbooks.com which is a fine site.

There appears to be a problem with Ulysses by James Joyce, as I get "Page Error" when I try to open this on my 505. I have read, if I remember correctly, elsewhere on these forums that the problem is to do with the file size of books.

I have tried exporting the book to the 505 via ADE and via Sony eBook Library. I can not open the book on the 505 after either operation.

I have also done a format transfer from .epub to .lrf of the Feedbooks.com "Ulysses" with Calibre and then transferred this file to the 505. This reads on the 505.

What is your recommended practice in such a case?

Many thanks,

kesey
There's actually two things that I'll do to fix this problem with the limit:
1) mark the files that have this problem and display a message in the editor: this way a human can divide the file where it won't be too much of a problem
2) detect those flows and auto-divide them as a fallback solution

We always divide the flows properly on Feedbooks and on most books, you'll never get this problem. Books like Ulysses are a real problem because there's no proper division in the text itself. I really don't like the fact that you have to modify the display of these books and add page breaks where there should be none but I'd rather make sure that the page breaks are not added in the middle of a dialog for example. I'll work on this once I've finished the proper footnotes support, in the meantime you can convert these files or use our custom PDF version.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Hadrien, thank you for the detailed reply. These forums are excellent.

regards,

kesey
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Well.. if you do it the Book Designer for LRF > Mobi (using Harry's Tutorial) then you can go Mobi > IMP and Mobi > ePub and have all formats supported except eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
1) mark the files that have this problem and display a message in the editor: this way a human can divide the file where it won't be too much of a problem
2) detect those flows and auto-divide them as a fallback solution
Calibre's any2epub will auto-divide an existing epub so that it works on the PRS-505, and the process can be "human assisted" by a simple edit of the original text if the automatic breaks are not to your liking. So it may be enough to mark the files and reference Calibre as one way to get them to work on the PRS-505. The alternative would be to have two ePub versions, original and split, which is a bit clumsy but allows for desktop and handheld use.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Calibre's any2epub will auto-divide an existing epub so that it works on the PRS-505, and the process can be "human assisted" by a simple edit of the original text if the automatic breaks are not to your liking. So it may be enough to mark the files and reference Calibre as one way to get them to work on the PRS-505. The alternative would be to have two ePub versions, original and split, which is a bit clumsy but allows for desktop and handheld use.
Since it represent a very small % of our text it can be easily human assisted. Converting the files or editing them is for geeks/power-users, the average user shouldn't have to do any thing like this.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
We need a dedicated ebook editor that produces EPUB (like an extension to Book Designer that allows it to export EPUB). And no, I don't mean Adobe's InDesign. I have it, but I sure as hell am not going to use something so obviously overkill.

We need an editor. I'm sorry, but editing in one format and then non-natively converting to EPUB is not the answer. Too much could go wrong during conversion, and I just don't trust the process. If I edit my book by hand, my hand edited version should end up on the Reader, not the converted version with possible bugs or whatever.

Until that happens, I'm sticking with LRF.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote