Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
It's interesting and irritating to guess. Oh, I wish to know the reality behind the veil.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I'm guessing the rumoured 9.7" screen device, plus exciting new software for the existing models. I can't afford the former, so I'm hoping for the latter.

Or it could be a *really* big iLiad, revealed in a crater on the moon to the tune of Also Spracht Zarathustra. Followed by an even bigger model, in orbit around Jupiter.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Hey iRex, it was time for something new. The i to i blog became a kindle/sony/plastic logic blog instead of an irex' one in the last months.

What ever it will be I don't wanna miss the news on Monday.

If irex wanna present a new the reader it will the best time right now to maintain the "best e-reader by miles" [imho] position in the market. The 9,7 e-readers of competitors are announced already.
The book edition is "out of stock" in the irex shop. Recently?

A somehow more "3.0" than 2.13 firmware would be cool. As said irex promised a new reader framework ages ago.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #19
DonRobodroid
Paper?! Who needs paper?
DonRobodroid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2, iPhone 3GS
Hey cool! 22nd Sep. happens to be my birthday, so maybe they'll send me one of those new devices as a present - yes, irex, pleeeeaaaazzze?

And btw the thing on the banner looks more like the good old Alien egg than an ereading device...

Huh, what a great, interesting time. First Canon and their mystery ("destined evolution") campaign and now irex...

Too bad all those shining new nifty little gadget thingies cost SO much money.

Cheers,
- Don [:-]
DonRobodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
Skyblue
Skyblue doesn't litterSkyblue doesn't litter

Device: Iliad
Check out the below article, it says the the new iliad is called The iRex Reader 1000 and offers a 10.2-inch diagonal E-Inkscreen.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/200..._0918irex.html
Skyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #21
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Hmm wild speculation....

A4 screen size.
Foldable to A6.
10ms reaction time.
No writting gap -- hand touchable also
Color
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #22
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblue View Post
Check out the below article, it says the the new iliad is called The iRex Reader 1000 and offers a 10.2-inch diagonal E-Inkscreen.

Great find, Skyblue. There's a lot of information (and speculation) in there.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #23
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblue View Post

I suspect iRex wanted to wait until monday for this announcement. Kinda crappy of Forbes to leak that information early...

But from the article:
  • Name: iRex Reader 1000
  • 10.2 Inch Screen
  • eBook (Mobipocket?), PDF, Word, and html support (probably others)
  • Stylus input (wacom?)
  • 60-70 hour battery life
  • 3 Versions
  • Base - $650
  • Touch Screen - $750
  • Touchscreen + Bluetooth, Wifi, and 3G, $850
  • 16 levels of greyscale
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #24
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
that is all well and good, but i want an UI that can display more than 6 items without having to buy a 2.1" larger screen :P that's just cheating
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:17 AM   #25
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
but i want an UI that can display more than 6 items without having to buy a 2.1" larger screen
Since the announcement includes "software", we can hope for a major upgrade for existing iLiads.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #26
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, we'll see what Monday will bring. I hope it will be more than a "paper-launch" with the actual product still half a year away from market-ready status.
The specs sound nice enough, especially for PDF and technical documents, the battery life also sounds promising although the 60-70 hour battery life is a bit of a mystery since it does not specify how you get 60-70 hours out of the device, reading or idling or standby...but let's hope they learned from the Iliad mistakes...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #27
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Well, we'll see what Monday will bring. I hope it will be more than a "paper-launch" with the actualy product still half a year away from market-ready status.
I hope we don't have to wait another 6 months. But I do agree that it's likely to just be an announcement, with the device coming at a later time.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #28
rachaelandrews
Enthusiast
rachaelandrews doesn't litterrachaelandrews doesn't litter

Device: iLiad Second Edition
From the limited knowledge I have, the basic one should be available this year, with the others around Q1 of next year. That could change obviously, even from when I was told it (which was a month or so ago).

When I bought my iLiad someone who knows these things (i.e. an inside source) told me that I might want to wait for this new device instead of buying the existing one at that time. I was asked not to impart that info to others, which was fair enough ... much as it pained me to see others buying iLiads when I knew a new one was coming out. I did drop a few hints on the forum though that it might be prudent to wait but I couldn't come out and say it as it would be betraying a confidence. I know that has been the case for a couple of other posters here too.

I decided to go with the original iLiad as I felt the 10" screen would be too big and unwieldy, though from what I was told the weight of the new one will only be slightly more than the current one, and the new one will be macbook air thin. However I can't see that the current iLiad is much thicker than a macbook air, if at all !

If a colour screen would have been in the mix I would have waited (and probably fell down in a dead faint at the price !), but I'm happy I made the right choice when I bought my iLiad. I too am hoping the new UI will transfer directly or indirectly to the existing iLiads.

Rachael
rachaelandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #29
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Let's hope they learned their lesson with the easily cracked/broken screens people had experienced. I don't know this from first-hand knowledge, but I remember when I first joined this forum that there were quite a few people upset about how fragile the screens were (though from what I gathered, I think the real issue was the size of the screen and the fact that it could flex too easily). A 10" screen would be phenomenal, but while $650 is a bargain compared to their original, it's out of my budget.

I, too, think they're getting this thing out ASAP to try and trump $ony's release and I don't doubt Plastic Logic has them more than a little nervous, especially if they can supply a system larger & cheaper than theirs (let's hope it's a lot cheaper!).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #30
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelandrews View Post
I did drop a few hints on the forum though that it might be prudent to wait but I couldn't come out and say it as it would be betraying a confidence.
This one is my favorite:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelandrews View Post
Anyone interested in reading pdfs on a larger screen than the current iLiad and who can wait a while might do well to wait a few weeks. You never know what September might bring.
Very subtile
But thanks for sharing the info!
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote