Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
cmavr8
Enthusiast
cmavr8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Question T68: Lynx vs ereader-store.de version

Hi all. I'm planning to buy the T68 soon, to replace my old Sony PRS-600 with the ridiculusly reflective screen.

I noticed Booxtor's super active thread with all the feature requests and bug reports that get fixed etc etc. I appreciate this level of support and would like to support it (sorry for pun) by choosing to buy from Booxtor's shop.

My question is, are there any advantages in buying the Lynx version instead of ereader-store.de's? I can't seem to find an equally active thread for that, so I believe that users of a Lynx device are stuck with bugs etc. Best case they can hope for OTA updates.

Also, did both versions start from the same firmware and then development branched off? I'm trying to estimate which version is more likely to be more stable... Are they at about the same level?

I realize that no one can definitively answer these questions, but whoever has an opinion please state it...

(I am aware that a Lynx device can be "switched" to accept Booxtor's updates, but as I said, I appreciate dev work and would like to support it financially)

Thanks!
Chris
cmavr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
Hi all. I'm planning to buy the T68 soon, to replace my old Sony PRS-600 with the ridiculusly reflective screen.

I noticed Booxtor's super active thread with all the feature requests and bug reports that get fixed etc etc. I appreciate this level of support and would like to support it (sorry for pun) by choosing to buy from Booxtor's shop.

My question is, are there any advantages in buying the Lynx version instead of ereader-store.de's? I can't seem to find an equally active thread for that, so I believe that users of a Lynx device are stuck with bugs etc. Best case they can hope for OTA updates.

Also, did both versions start from the same firmware and then development branched off? I'm trying to estimate which version is more likely to be more stable... Are they at about the same level?

I realize that no one can definitively answer these questions, but whoever has an opinion please state it...

(I am aware that a Lynx device can be "switched" to accept Booxtor's updates, but as I said, I appreciate dev work and would like to support it financially)

Thanks!
Chris
One advantage of the Lynx model is that you can buy from Amazon and get free returns for a defective device. If you get a good one it seems like it would be a great device, but there are quality control problems.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
cmavr8
Enthusiast

Thanks, good point. But I think I'm gonna order from a local (Dutch) shop, with 14-day return period.

Hm... I'm not convinced the reader is worth it yet
Old 09-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm very happy with my Lynx, but it has to be said that many people do seem to experience issues with them. What do you intend to use it for? Some apps (eg Calibre Companion, Moon+ Pro Reader) work very well on it. Others (eg Kindle App) much less well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
cmavr8
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm very happy with my Lynx, but it has to be said that many people do seem to experience issues with them. What do you intend to use it for? Some apps (eg Calibre Companion, Moon+ Pro Reader) work very well on it. Others (eg Kindle App) much less well.
Thanks for the reply. So, it looks like that if I get a Lynx from a shop with good return policy I may get a good deal.

I'm not planning on using Kindle/google books etc. I mainly want to read, highlight and scrible on home-made pdf books. Also some books I have in PDF fromat of course.

The main problems with my current ereader (sony prs-600) are that it's super reflective (we're talking mirror levels :P) and that it can't reflow some pages of even home-made pdfs (text, not images). The experience is ridiculus.

How is the T68's screen in regards to reflectiveness? I've used a kindle paperwhite (I think v1) and I found it excellent.

EDIT: Any ideas what the T68ML version is? Supposedly it is the Lynx, but I find no other reference on the forum.

Last edited by cmavr8; 09-22-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The screen has a matt finish. Almost completely non-reflective.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
cmavr8
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
EDIT: Any ideas what the T68ML version is? Supposedly it is the Lynx, but I find no other reference on the forum.
For the sake of completeness, I'll answer this question of mine. It's the international version, not Lynx.

Tags
buying options, comparison, ereader-store.de, lynx, t68