Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-06-2004, 08:03 AM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Vade Mecum is (more or less) dead

As I'm still looking hard at a switch to PPC in the next couple of months, I sent an email to Jamis Buck, the point man for the Vade Mecum project, whose goal was to bring Plucker to the PPC. There have been no updates on the website for more than a year, so I asked him what was going on. This is what I got back:

Quote:
Ignatz Sol wrote:
> I am about to switch from Palm to Pocket PC and I'm going to miss
> Plucker. Is the Vade Mecum project dead? I notice that the last
> update was more than a year ago? What can you tell me?
>
> Yours,
> Iggy

Well.. dead is such a relative term when it comes to software. I'm
actually going to try and release another update in the next week or so,
but it is mostly just patches submitted by other people. I do not plan
to do any more active development on Vade Mecum, so in that sense, yes,
it is dead.

However, look for the next release, coming soon.

- Jamis
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:07 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I hope the upcoming release will support continuous pages and multi-images. This way you can use it with Sunrise and/or JPluck, which rely on those features.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2004, 07:13 PM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Vade Mecum is ok, and it's a real shame that development has effectiely stopped, as it could only benefit the PPC and plucker community. Thank god I still have isilo!

Maybe the developer could post on the plucker or some PPC forums and see if someone would like to take over development....

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:32 PM   #4
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Craig, do you ever use Vade Mecum in place of iSilo? Or have you just experimented with it? What parser do you use with it?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:40 PM   #5
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I had a fairly big play with it (and still have it installed on my ppc). I went through an extended plucker phase about 12 months ago and had a lot of stuff I'd already done with Jpluck, so I just installed that and used it (nothing that used the new features like larger files and image support).

I haven't really looked at Plucker much since then, preferring isilo for the Clie and Ipaq. If Vade Mercum were developed to the level of the palm os version of Plucker, though, I would be seriously tempted.

It's a shame the Plucker development team couldn't do a PPC version of the Plucker reader itself.... <sigh>

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2004, 10:32 PM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic

Hey Hacker, do you know anything about other attempts to bring Plucker to PPC? I'm really going to miss it! I've started using iSilo again on my Palm to prepare for the transition and I really don't like it as much. I hadn't realized how much I've come to love my Plucker.