Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Sigil 7

I had an usual thing happen to me today.

I was working on a document which I had previously sent out as a LRF and I had done it originally all by hand and put it into calibre to convert.

I brought the epub which has been created into Sigil 7 and neatened it up and so on. I ran Flight Crew and it found many ids that were just numbers.

I deleted all of the ids and inserted new anchors and links myself, using the Sigil menus.

Then I generated a TOC to clean things up and use the new ids. I saved.

When I ran Flight Crew, it reported all the old ids in content.opf.

Even though I eliminated them, they were still there, probably because they weren't supposed to make it there in the first place. I added a p in front of each number in the manifest, then the same in the spine, then it reported no more errors.

I was under the impression that I shouldn't need to meddle like this unless I chose to....which I generally do not. It is enough to pound these old books into shape without having to do skeletal surgery!

Or did I miss something somewhere?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I too have noticed that the opf does not get cleaned up appropriately some times. If I have deleted a file (image or style) it will sometimes still show in the opf. FC flags it and I manually remove them.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
These sound like 2 separate issues.

@mrmikel - so what you are saying is that the file had id's in the content.opf file when you started. And after you did your editing/toc creation in Sigil, those id's were still in the content.opf - not put there by Sigil, but also no removed by Sigil. Like if you were to add extra meta tags to the content.opf outside of Sigil - it will leave them there. This sounds like expected behaviour - it doesn't delete your extra data in content.opf. Could you post a code fragment of content.opf that shows these id numbers?

@Turtle91 - I've never seen it do this (at least as of 0.6). Do you remember if you did anything special - edited the file externally, updated it, then deleted it; just deleted it, etc. Was the image used/not used in the book, etc.

Has anyone else seen the opf not get updated when something is deleted?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll see if I can reproduce - and pay attention to what I was doing when it happened...I'll report back...
Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will dig out that file. Calibre created it...it should have not left the error in it. The original source was html which I was doing by hand then since Sigil was either not around or unbearably slow, unlike the powerhouse rocket of today!
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
These sound like 2 separate issues.

@mrmikel - so what you are saying is that the file had id's in the content.opf file when you started. And after you did your editing/toc creation in Sigil, those id's were still in the content.opf - not put there by Sigil, but also no removed by Sigil. Like if you were to add extra meta tags to the content.opf outside of Sigil - it will leave them there. This sounds like expected behaviour - it doesn't delete your extra data in content.opf. Could you post a code fragment of content.opf that shows these id numbers?

@Turtle91 - I've never seen it do this (at least as of 0.6). Do you remember if you did anything special - edited the file externally, updated it, then deleted it; just deleted it, etc. Was the image used/not used in the book, etc.

Has anyone else seen the opf not get updated when something is deleted?
I see this occasionally (this, and the one below, is not new. Been around many versions).

I also see this occasionally after a (bulk) rename:
in the spine section i will find both the old and the new: itemref idref=
Then in the manifest, I find both usages against the same filename (2 entries) Flightcrew complains: 'in use'

I suspect it is tied to prior actions (Split, merge, delete), all which I have done, that gets the OPF out of sync. Is it possible, this is linked to a old HTML TOC that had not been updated at the time of the action.

Sometimes simply reordering the names in the book browser, will correct the first problem. Good ol' OPF surgery is all I find that works on the second.

This happens so little, I have not been able to glean a trigger pattern.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I'll see if I can reproduce - and pay attention to what I was doing when it happened...I'll report back...
OK...I was definitely tired when I wrote this....let me rephrase so people don't get the wrong impression of my ability to focus on important tasks....

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem - and pay attention to remember what I was doing when it happened the problem occurred ...I'll report back post when I find something...
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Correction to my previous post...it was the toc.ncx, not the .opf, that didn't clean automatically when I deleted a file.

When I "generated the TOC" it would update the toc.ncx and clear the FC error....so....user error.

Cheers,

Last edited by Turtle91; 02-25-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Correction to my previous post...it was the toc.ncx, not the .opf, that didn't clean automatically when I deleted a file.
This is the correct behavior. Making changes (such as modifying ids and deleting files) will not update the ncx. This has to be done manually.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone

content.opf per your request

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="uuid_id" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:calibre="http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/2009/metadata" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<dc:identifier id="uuid_id" opf:scheme="uuid">f33b87b9-83e6-44dd-a9ed-be7c56c62649</dc:identifier>
<dc:creator opf:file-as="Truscott, Lucian" opf:role="aut">Truscott, Lucian</dc:creator>
<dc:description>&lt;p class="description"&gt;Unknown&lt;/p&gt;</dc:description>
<dc:title>Command Missions</dc:title>
<dc:contributor opf:role="bkp">calibre (0.8.52) [http://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>
<dc:subject>Unknown</dc:subject>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
<dc:date opf:event="modification">2013-02-22</dc:date>
<meta content="Command Missions" name="calibre:title_sort"/>
<meta content="2012-06-15T12:46:45+00:00" name="calibre:timestamp"/>
<meta content="titlepage.jpg" name="cover"/>
<meta content="{}" name="calibre:user_categories"/>
<meta content="{&quot;Truscott, Lucian&quot;: &quot;&quot;}" name="calibre:author_link_map"/>
<meta content="0.7.0" name="Sigil version"/>
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item href="Images/cover.jpeg" id="cover" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Text/103.xhtml" id="103" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/122.xhtml" id="122" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/125.xhtml" id="125" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/145.xhtml" id="145" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/225.xhtml" id="225" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/24.xhtml" id="24" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/268.xhtml" id="268" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/27.xhtml" id="27" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/271.xhtml" id="271" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/274.xhtml" id="274" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/30.xhtml" id="30" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Images/346.jpeg" id="346" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/348.jpeg" id="348" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/349.jpeg" id="349" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/350.jpeg" id="350" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/351.jpeg" id="351" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/353.jpeg" id="353" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/354.jpeg" id="354" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/355.jpeg" id="355" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/356.jpeg" id="356" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/357.jpeg" id="357" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/358.jpeg" id="358" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/359.jpeg" id="359" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/360.jpeg" id="360" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/361.jpeg" id="361" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/362.jpeg" id="362" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/363.jpeg" id="363" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/364.jpeg" id="364" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/365.jpeg" id="365" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/366.jpeg" id="366" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/367.jpeg" id="367" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/368.jpeg" id="368" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/369.jpeg" id="369" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/370.jpeg" id="370" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/371.jpeg" id="371" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/372.jpeg" id="372" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/373.jpeg" id="373" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/374.jpeg" id="374" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/375.jpeg" id="375" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Text/54.xhtml" id="54" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/60.xhtml" id="60" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/8.xhtml" id="8" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="Text/titlepage.xhtml" id="titlepage" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>
<item href="Images/stats-cap.jpg" id="stats-cap.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Images/titlepage.jpg" id="titlepage.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item href="Styles/style2.css" id="style2.css" media-type="text/css"/>
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="titlepage"/>
<itemref idref="8"/>
<itemref idref="24"/>
<itemref idref="27"/>
<itemref idref="30"/>
<itemref idref="54"/>
<itemref idref="60"/>
<itemref idref="103"/>
<itemref idref="122"/>
<itemref idref="125"/>
<itemref idref="145"/>
<itemref idref="225"/>
<itemref idref="268"/>
<itemref idref="271"/>
<itemref idref="274"/>
</spine>
<guide>
<reference href="Text/titlepage.xhtml" title="Cover" type="cover"/>
</guide>
</package>
Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I brought the epub which has been created into Sigil 7 and neatened it up and so on. I ran Flight Crew and it found many ids that were just numbers.

I deleted all of the ids and inserted new anchors and links myself, using the Sigil menus.

Then I generated a TOC to clean things up and use the new ids. I saved.

When I ran Flight Crew, it reported all the old ids in content.opf.

Even though I eliminated them, they were still there, probably because they weren't supposed to make it there in the first place. I added a p in front of each number in the manifest, then the same in the spine, then it reported no more errors.

I was under the impression that I shouldn't need to meddle like this unless I chose to....which I generally do not. It is enough to pound these old books into shape without having to do skeletal surgery!

Or did I miss something somewhere?
I'm not sure where the id's in the content.opf came from, but they are completely different from any id's you use for headings and the TOC. So generating the toc updates toc.ncx but doesn't touch content.opf.

You can put [ code ] and [ / code ] around your file to make it more readable in your post.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote