Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
cob
cob began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is the Kindle Keyboard a good choice?

Hi,

I need help to choose an eReader.
Of all the options I prefer the Kindle Keyboard because the TTS function, I am not an English speaker and I will use the eReader to improve my vocabulary so the dictionary function and the TTS are very important to me.

I have read several threads and viewed some videos about the Kindle Keyboard but I still have some doubts:

1) I dont live in the US so I cant access to all the content in the kindle store.
Could I use books from another sources (gutenberg.org, local library) in Kindle?

2) As far as I understand the Kindle Keyboard is a 3rd generation Kindle.
Is there too much difference in the display quality and firmware of this device and the 4th and 5th generation?

3) Does the TTS worth it or should I go directly for a Kindle Paperwhite?
Can I use the TTS with mobi or txt books?
This is a dealbreaker for me because I will use it to improve my English vocabulary (pronunciation).

Thanks
cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
1) Yes. The Kindles read any non-DRM Mobipocket files, and calibre will convert almost anything into Mobipocket format.

2) No difference between KK3 and Kindle Touch. The Paperwhite's display is slightly higher resolution, as well as having the frontlight.

3) The TTS is better than nothing, but it isn't brilliant as a guide to English pronunciation, especially for unusual words.
It certainly works for Mobipocket books. I think it would work on plain text, but easy to convert to MObipocket if not.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
cob
cob began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
1) Yes. The Kindles read any non-DRM Mobipocket files, and calibre will convert almost anything into Mobipocket format.

2) No difference between KK3 and Kindle Touch. The Paperwhite's display is slightly higher resolution, as well as having the frontlight.

3) The TTS is better than nothing, but it isn't brilliant as a guide to English pronunciation, especially for unusual words.
It certainly works for Mobipocket books. I think it would work on plain text, but easy to convert to MObipocket if not.
Thanks, I will order one.

cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I like my trusty K3 very much, although the TTS capability leaves a lot to be desired. I rarely use it.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In addition to the book reader that you have contemplated I would like to make a few more recommendations. translate.google.com, can help by translating to English and from English and try openoffice.org, its a free suite of software that speaks over 105 different languages, its a pretty remote chance that openoffice does not speak your language like a native.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert