Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #76
Transonic
Enthusiast
Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle 4 NT, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, that is the case. Some devices sold here last year have a problem in the base firmware. This is the firmware you see when you do a factory reset. Something in this prevents the devices from being updated past the 2.0.x firmware. What Kobo is doing is to install an intermediate firmware that will allow the later firmware to be installed. I suspect that they have decided to handle anyone on an Australian ip by this method. I think NZ may have gotten the same devices so our NZ friend has probably been hit by this as well.

I would suggest that you try another sync and see if it updates again.
Thanks for your help I will try another update in a day or two and see what happens.
Transonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #77
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Well, after a factory reset and desktop app update to 2.1.4 (not a manual update) I still get an unresponsive screen after awakening from sleep mode after anywhere from 6 - 12 taps on the screen it just reboots and is then fine for reading... downgrading back to 1.9.17 maybe the next version will work for me whenever it comes out.
Truly alarming that they can still have this type of problem with the latest and greatest firmware. I hope it's not too widespread - although, sadly, that doesn't help you
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #78
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
tried to update my Touch yesterday and it's still sticked to 2.0.0, so I'll wait, as I have the brand new Glo to play with
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #79
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I had upgraded to 2.1.1 manually and got the 2.1.4 update automatically via the desktop app. Firmware has been stable and the UI is faster than 2.1.1. Just don't understand why e.g. some fonts are still broken (missing italics, diacritics).

The PDF rendering seems to be straitened out tho' which is nice.

Last edited by stewacide; 10-05-2012 at 01:56 AM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #80
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Well, after a factory reset and desktop app update to 2.1.4 (not a manual update) I still get an unresponsive screen after awakening from sleep mode after anywhere from 6 - 12 taps on the screen it just reboots and is then fine for reading... downgrading back to 1.9.17 maybe the next version will work for me whenever it comes out.

And is it me or does the battery seem to drain faster on the new firmware? Yes I use an SD card but on 1.9.17 the battery charge seems to last a long time. Yet today after the new firmware I have seen a noticable drop in the battery indicator from this morning till this evening.
Yep I spoke too soon.

After sleep, if I start up within a couple of minutes all is OK, after a bit of a wait, (don't know the exact parameters here), screen taps do not work, and on pressing the home button it reboots and screen taps work again.

I had manually updated to 2.1.1 and manually updated to 2.1.4, (shouldn't be so impatient).

I'd like to go back to 2.1.1 and I assume I have to factory reset to manually load 2.1.1 again?

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
I'd like to go back to 2.1.1 and I assume I have to factory reset to manually load 2.1.1 again?
Strictly, yes. But, I would probably try the direct method and see what happened. If it worked, good, if not I would only loose a little time.

One thing, if you do the factory reset, when you connect to the desktop application, it will probably download 2.1.4 again. When that happens, you need to replace the files on the device with the 2.1.1 files before disconnecting.

And before anyone comments, I know I am making suggestions that might seem to be against other comments I have made today. I have no hassle with someone trying all this. My problem is with complaints when things don't work when someone is trying to short circuit the system. And I won't deny I am curious to see if what Chocky wants to do works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #82
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hopefully after reloading 2.1.1 it will upgrade to 2.1.4 using the desktop.

I may be getting the problem because I was impatient and manually upgraded to 2.1.4

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #83
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Yes, that is the case. Some devices sold here last year have a problem in the base firmware. This is the firmware you see when you do a factory reset. Something in this prevents the devices from being updated past the 2.0.x firmware.

I'm beginning to wonder whether our devices should be recalled.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #84
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
So far I haven't been able to tell because upon my upgrade from 1.9.17 to 2.1.4, my KT crashes every time I try to open a sideloaded epub. Looks like another failure from Kobo so far.
Not sure if this is the same issue but my sister updated her KT from 2.1.1 to 2.1.4 using the automatic upgrade. What she noticed was that when she woke up the KT from the sleep screen, the KT would restart after 0 to 5 page turns. We tried the sign out but didn't help -- possibly since we re-setup her account using the WiFi connection. After a factory reset and watching her "Processing Content" for a few minutes, seems to be okay now.

My KT did not show this problem but I did a factory reset before updating to 2.1.4. I thought that since I have had issues with corrupted books, it was worth the extra time for the factory reset to ensure I started with a clean database and without the manually installed 2.1.1 firmware possibly causing issues.

Both our KT's got the 43710 update revision and side-loaded content is living on an SD card.

This message is subject to change after using the KT/2.1.4 for a couple of days to see if the restart after sleep has really gone away.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-05-2012 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Corrected a couple of typos.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #85
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
SD Card still flaky, but otherwise great

Alas, my KT is now useless for reading from the SD Card. Waking from sleep while reading an SD loaded book crashes the Kobo every time. But besides that, I think this update is great. Kobo has finally untethered from the cursed PC desktop app... I can even delete the database entirely and the Kobo will gleefully create a new one on boot. Still requires Kobo account (or the fake database entry,), but at least now, in theory, the Kobo can create it's own account with a Wifi network, a large improvement.

Text rendering with the built in fonts is astoudingly improved, and page turns nice and fast. It took a few years, but I think the Kobo is finally living up to it's potential. I might just have to buy a Glow to play with at this rate.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #86
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
I'm in Australia and just upgraded by the desktop application. Upgraded from 2.0 to 2.0.4 and not 2.1.4. I then disconnected, restarted the Kobo computer application, restarted the touch and reconnected to the computer with the USB cable. It will not update any further to 2.1.4. Also crashed 3 times in 5 minutes of trying it out. What it happening Kobo? Not happy.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #87
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidoid View Post
I'm in Australia and just upgraded by the desktop application. Upgraded from 2.0 to 2.0.4 and not 2.1.4. I then disconnected, restarted the Kobo computer application, restarted the touch and reconnected to the computer with the USB cable. It will not update any further to 2.1.4. Also crashed 3 times in 5 minutes of trying it out. What it happening Kobo? Not happy.
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=74 for some of what is happening. I'm hoping for a response from Kobo about what will happen next.

As it is crashing, you could try the manual method to go to 2.1.4. The whole point of the 2.0.4 firmware revision is to prepare certain devices for upgrading beyond 2.0.x. The manual installation of 2.1.4 should be fine once 2.0.4 is installed. It definitely is for me.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #88
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
As it is crashing, you could try the manual method to go to 2.1.4..
Thanks for helping davidfor. How do you update manually to 2.1.4? I did go to the Kobo site and couldn't find any manual update files or info.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #89
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidoid View Post
Thanks for helping davidfor. How do you update manually to 2.1.4? I did go to the Kobo site and couldn't find any manual update files or info.
They don't publish the info as it isn't strictly supported. But, have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660. The link is in the last post and the instructions are near the top.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #90
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
After having the problem sideloading epubs onto my Touch with 2.0.0 I did the factory reset and stayed with 1.9.17. Last night I tried updating my Touch from using Sync over Wifi. It sat slowly downloading software for about 40 minutes then hung with 100% completed showing. I left it for half an hour in this state then switched off and on again. It still behaves as and shows it's firmware as 1.9.17. I will have another try again tonight and hopefully I will have a better download.

I don't think I have missed any comments in this thread but I have seen no reference to the problem of sideloading epubs which occured with 2.0.0 having been fixed on 2.1.14. Can one of you successful 2.1.14 updaters out there tell me if this is now okay.

Thanks.

Brian
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote