Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
realized how vital B & N is.

i have come to discover that a. a lot of books arent on kindle.

i have come to discover that a good b & n has a phenomenally vast inventory.

in fact most books i need that are sort of niche are in the b & n in albany ny.

they have more than the so-called independent bookstores. i am now a fan.

i've noticed this with more than one title.

of course the commercialization is off-putting. it's a tad deflating to see american writers on their shelves. it almost devalues the tome.

i guess moving past that it's nice for there to be book stores that have everything.

of course the gas expended to get to one outbalances the shipping cost from amazon (if not on kindle), but it does fulfill the "right now" need/factor well.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

eh nevermind. not only is the title 8 bucks cheaper on amazon. the shipping is free. so you're spending a considerable amount more just to own the book from b&n. plus gas. there is no hope for them. amazon is so much cheaper.
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I might be more of a fan if they had one closer to me than 45 minutes away :/
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
i have come to discover that a. a lot of books arent on kindle.

of course the commercialization is off-putting. it's a tad deflating to see american writers on their shelves. it almost devalues the tome.
I really haven't found many books that aren't on Kindle that are available for Nook, or any ePub readers.

As far as the second statement, that it is "deflating to see american writers on their shelves", that just seems very rude and ignorant. Why the hate for american writers? I mean, hasn't the US turned out some of the best writers of the past few centuries?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The price between a book at Amazon and B&N are usually only a few pennies. The reason I purchase at B&N is that I can pay with Paypal. Since I carry a balance at PP, I like to pay that way.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
eh nevermind. not only is the title 8 bucks cheaper on amazon. the shipping is free. so you're spending a considerable amount more just to own the book from b&n. plus gas. there is no hope for them. amazon is so much cheaper.
B&N went from vital to obsolete in 4 minutes?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Most books are not $8 cheaper at Amazon than at B&N. Just because one book might be cheaper doesn't mean anything. I don't see the gas used to go to the store to be a big problem, I like getting out of the house and I like going to bookstores. I'd be going out anyway, why not spend some time in a bookstore? In the town where I grew up, the nearest bookstore was 60 miles away, it was a treat to get to go to a bookstore. E-books would have been a godsend back then. So, I'm not saying there's no advantage to e-books by any means. Just that for a lot of people, going out to a bookstore isn't an ordeal.

I have a Kindle, so I would have to say that one of the best things about B&N is that it creates competition. Without competition, little good happens for consumers.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
B&N went from vital to obsolete in 4 minutes?
Not impossible.
Just ask AOL.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Most books are not $8 cheaper at Amazon than at B&N. Just because one book might be cheaper doesn't mean anything.
And you have to be careful, anyways, when looking at Amazon's prices - pain in the ass sometimes to figure out if it's new, used, or actually coming from Amazon itself rather than some other store that sells through them... (at least at a glance, which is what most people tend to do when comparing prices)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That's a very odd thing to say about an American bookstore .
Do you also think that British bookstores are devalued by stocking British authors? Ban Shakespeare and Dickens - they devalue the store!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I don't actually buy books from B&N since I'm a library user but I'd be bummed out without my neighborhood store. It's a good place for me to run to when I need to pick up gifts and cards--usually as I'm on my way to the party. It's also the local place to drop by for a bit to check out books, mags, grab a cup of tea/coffee and loiter. Like someone already posted, it's good to have an alternative to Amazon (I love it but I don't want it to be an Amazon-only world).
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I really haven't found many books that aren't on Kindle that are available for Nook, or any ePub readers.

As far as the second statement, that it is "deflating to see american writers on their shelves", that just seems very rude and ignorant. Why the hate for american writers? I mean, hasn't the US turned out some of the best writers of the past few centuries?
i only read american writers with the exception of rimbaud and william blake.

i did my masters thesis on 20th century american lit

i have a profound love of american lit.

that's why i don't like seeing greatness displayed cheaply.

well i'm off to b & n i'm in need of john berryman and the new nicki minaj album. swerve.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic

nm i'm not in the right mental state to drive a vehicle. going to have to wait a few days for my library to get my books in.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Not impossible.
Just ask AOL.
Didn't they used to be the world's largest coaster manufacturer?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Didn't they used to be the world's largest coaster manufacturer?
Mini frisbees, too.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote