Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you want a personalized E-Book?
Yes - only if it was the same price as normal ebook 1 5.26%
Yes - would not mind paying extra 4 21.05%
No - not interested 13 68.42%
Decline to answer 0 0%
None of the above 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Personalized E-Book

I had the strangest idea today and was wondering what you guys think. What if there was a option to get a personalized ebook, would you be interested in it. First I thought, let the author write something in the beginning of the e-book similiar to a signed pbook. If that was only written in normal text it would not stand out as really personal. So maybe adding a white empty image in the beginning of the book would work. The normal not personalized version would just be blank, but for the personalized version the image gets replaced with a short dedication and signature of the author. Alternatively have him/her sign the cover image that is already in the book - so no design changes need to be made.

It might work with a small extra charge and an option to add a tip. As for formats that would work for it I was thinking maybe it would be easy to do in ePub as all that needs to be done is to replace the cover or the inside blank image with the new and improved personal version.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I know of one author (David H. Burton) who offers a personalized version of a couple of his ebooks. The personalization comes in the form of a signed dedication and he substitutes the person's name with that of one of the minor characters in the book.

It's a really neat idea, IMHO.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I know of one author (David H. Burton) who offers a personalized version of a couple of his ebooks. The personalization comes in the form of a signed dedication and he substitutes the person's name with that of one of the minor characters in the book.

It's a really neat idea, IMHO.
Thank you for the link. I will check that out. Have not myself come across anybody else. Changing a characters name is a nice touch - and that is not really possible with a pbook.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I wouldn't be at all interested in the original idea, but Mr. Burton's way of doing it is really rather clever and quite cool.

Come to think of it, perhaps I should fire up Sigil and just substitute myself for the hero all my unread books.... And Lord of the Rings too perhaps, although who should I be? Maybe Tom Bombadil? Or Goldberry? Or Gollum? My word, the possibilities are mind boggling! Hold up there my precioussss, I'm on my way!

Last edited by Belfaborac; 02-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote