Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Afraima
Afraima began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Question Page numbers on right hand side

Hello,
I have a good time with cleaning up ePubs with Sigil, but I've noticed a something and I can't find the solution anywhere.

When an ePub is cleaned up in Sigil, when opening it in the Adobe Digital Editions, it opens fine, no problems there. It's just that I get page numbers on the right hand side of the screen. I've looked everywhere to see where I have to change a setting, but can't find the solution. I just want them gone.

Anyone who can give me the golden tip ?
Thanks in advance.
Afraima
Afraima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
shall1028
Nameless Being

The page numbers are placed there by ADE and, at least in version 1.7 that I run, can't be removed.

"I just want them gone". This is a common theme in many posts here whether it is the number displayed by ADE or by particular e-reading device or by some other program.

My observation is that those little tiny numbers invoke in people such vehemence and I haven't got a clue as to why. I quite happily ignore them both in ADE and on my Kobo reader.

Those numbers can sit there and plot their schemes for world domination but as long as I ignore them they can never hurt me.
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraima View Post
Hello,
I have a good time with cleaning up ePubs with Sigil, but I've noticed a something and I can't find the solution anywhere.

When an ePub is cleaned up in Sigil, when opening it in the Adobe Digital Editions, it opens fine, no problems there. It's just that I get page numbers on the right hand side of the screen. I've looked everywhere to see where I have to change a setting, but can't find the solution. I just want them gone.

Anyone who can give me the golden tip ?
Thanks in advance.
Afraima
ADE puts them there.

What I do is make them appear smaller:

body {
margin-left: 2pt;
margin-right: 16pt;
font-size: 1.2em;
}

I use zoom level 3 in ADE and a 3 digit page number fits in the margin
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is an even better solution that nobody else has yet mentioned. Download and install the ADE 1.8 preview. Then you can do away with the page numbers in the margin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The iRiver Story HD also displays those numbers. Usually not a problem but some books are huge and the numbers grow into the text. Which unfortunately causes the overlapped letter to be greyed out, making it harder to read.

It's only a minor nuisance though; thankfully most books are short enough to stay well below 1000 pages. Still, poor design choice to display page numbers this way, esp. considering that those numbers are mostly useless for an ereader anyway...

Margins is one way to deal with it, although I'd prefer not to waste screen space for margins. If the numbers can be affected with CSS, maybe one could make them invisible altogether? Somehow I can't believe there's no option for this, but there is none to be found at least on the iriver...

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-08-2011 at 05:23 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is an even better solution that nobody else has yet mentioned. Download and install the ADE 1.8 preview. Then you can do away with the page numbers in the margin.
Yes, but not on my reader! Unfortunately there is no reader yet where we upgrade the ADE ourselves...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I did some testing. Adding a page map https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Adob...tions#Page-map to my epubs gets rid of the numbers all right. I added an empty page map - to express the exact changes I made manually to a lorem ipsum epub test file:

Code:
diff -ruN lorem/content.opf lorem2/content.opf
--- lorem/content.opf	2011-10-09 20:50:54.000000000 +0200
+++ lorem2/content.opf	2011-10-09 20:56:35.407772183 +0200
@@ -16,8 +16,9 @@
     <item href="index.html" id="html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
     <item href="stylesheet.css" id="css" media-type="text/css"/>
     <item href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" id="ncx"/>
+    <item href="page-map.xml" id="map" media-type="application-oebps-page-map+xml" />
   </manifest>
-  <spine toc="ncx">
+  <spine page-map="map" toc="ncx">
     <itemref idref="html"/>
   </spine>
   <guide/>
diff -ruN lorem/page-map.xml lorem2/page-map.xml
--- lorem/page-map.xml	1970-01-01 01:00:00.000000000 +0100
+++ lorem2/page-map.xml	2011-10-09 20:57:11.407772567 +0200
@@ -0,0 +1,3 @@
+<page-map xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
+ <page name="" href="index.html" />
+</page-map>
The downside is that the reader sees the entire book as a single page. So the "Go To Page" becomes useless. I'd have to write a script that somehow maps one page per chapter or puts page breaks wherever the number isn't in the way.

Keeping the page numbers as they were and just styling them invisible somehow would be the way to go, but I haven't found a way to do that.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote