Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
hooeylewis
hooeylewis began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Frustrated Kobo user

Hello this is my first post here. I am fed up with my Kobo e reader. I have the basic non wifi version. Ever since i updated my firmware to 1.8.2 I have had nothing but problems. The device constantly resets on me and many books take much longer time to load. Some books also have a issue with repeating chapters. I submitted a ticket 351309 ten days ago. It has yet to be assigned to anyone. i am beginning to think that Kobo simply does not care. I am not sure what to do at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions?
hooeylewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should be getting a 1.8.3 update. This came out a day or two after 1.8.2 and solves the repeating chapter issue if memory serves and may help some of your other issues. Plug into your desktop and update then sync to your reader and hopefully it'll get the right one for you.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well... first of all Kobo Support...

By Email
Email us anytime, 24-hours a day at: help@kobobooks.com

By Phone
Kobo Help Line, United States and Canada:
1-866-204-4714
(8am - 12am EST)

or

http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo
Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
hooeylewis

My mistake I do have 1.8.3. It does not help at all. I will give email support a try again though my previous email has yet to be replied to.

Last edited by hooeylewis; 07-16-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
When new devices are release, it seems like help gets slower than usual. If you have a ticket number, and post on getsatisfaction.com/kobo with a description of your problem AND the number, you may get expedited assistance.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Also, you might try backing up a bit. Using the 1.8.3 firmware, see what the experience is like with a half dozen books.

The Original Kobo works well with native Kobo books and reasonably well with epubs. Bear in mind, this is a very simple ereader -- no bells and whistles, just a plain reading experience (and the ability to borrow library books with ADE DRM). Once you become familiar with what the Original Kobo is good at, then you can try adding more books to it.

I presume you are generally trying to open epub and not pdf files?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
hooeylewis

this happens with any book. wether its purchased from kobo or otherwise.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
Not sure if I'm out of the loop here???? I got my Kobo over a month ago - is there already new software for it (I have the touch Kobo)?
If so, I am really not ready to touch anything as I am so satisfied with it.
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes; Kobo is aggressively releasing new versions of the firmware for the Touch (currently at 1.9.6) and also updated versions of Kobo Desktop (currently 2.03).

It is worth your while to occasionally load Kobo Desktop and ensure it is up to date, and then to attach your Kobo Touch to your computer, and again, have Kobo Desktop check the Touch's firmware.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Might be a basic question, but no one has suggested it yet, so have you tried a factory reset?
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
hooeylewis

yes i tried that a few times.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Its been a bit since I used the original, but I'm not sure if the factory reset also cleaned out the database fully.

Have you looked at the Database replacement posts; see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94789 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...82#post1274682
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooeylewis View Post
many books take much longer time to load.
By Load do you mean when you open a book to read, OR when you initially do a transfer to the device and it does the initial scan?

Can you point us to some of the books that you are having problems with?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
hooeylewis

It happens when I try to open a book to read. It seems to happen to most books.