Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Towerblock
Semi-Noob
Towerblock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 3, Nook Color
Is 650 faster than 350?

I've got the 350 and page turns are quick enough, but typing on the letters pad and other features are a little less responsive. My question is, has anyone compared the speed between the 350 and 650?

If the 650 is faster in all operations I may try it...
Towerblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I would be curious to know this too. I have a 350, which I am very satisfied with, although I originally planned to get a 650. Playing with the two of them at the store, I could not see any difference in the speed of page turns, but that does not necessarily man anything. For some reason, this time around, Sony has not made public the processor speeds, as they have for previous models. This makes me suspect that they are using the same processor in both readers. Perhaps those who own both models would care to comment if they notice any difference in performance.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
350 and 650 have 90% the same hardware (650 adds card slots and audio), so I don't expect to see any noticeable difference in speed.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
exodont
exodont doesn't litterexodont doesn't litterexodont doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony, BeBook, Kindle
I have both and I can confirm igorsk's opinion - there is no difference in speed between them. What does make a difference is the number of books installed. I currently have 2300 epubs on the 650 and 1830 epubs on the 350. The latter is marginally faster. On reducing the 350 to just 100 epubs it was much quicker. If you want to keep your ereader operating at maximum speed, keep the number of books installed as low as possible.
exodont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
"...much faster..." Could you expand... is this page turns, notes, browsing books or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodont View Post
I have both and I can confirm igorsk's opinion - there is no difference in speed between them. What does make a difference is the number of books installed. I currently have 2300 epubs on the 650 and 1830 epubs on the 350. The latter is marginally faster. On reducing the 350 to just 100 epubs it was much quicker. If you want to keep your ereader operating at maximum speed, keep the number of books installed as low as possible.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
zcqsimon
zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Quote:
that means the speed is significantly influenced by the stored books, then what's the point of prs-650 which can extend the storage, I now regret I bought 650, should buy 350
zcqsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Jason Green
Jason Green began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Yes I can confirm that the speed depends on the number of books stored.

More than 1000 will cause a significant delay, so I try to keep mine below 500 books in memory.
Jason Green is offline   Reply With Quote