Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Seaborn, by Chris Howard -- free download

Chris Howard has just released his novel Seaborn (Juno Books, 2008) for free download.

No connection between Seaborn and Sunborn.

But Chris attended a writing workshop I ran with fantasy author Craig Shaw Gardner, and clearly stood out as a guy with talent. He was the first from the group to get himself an agent and sell a novel. We like to bask in his success.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Chris Howard has just released his novel Seaborn (Juno Books, 2008) for free download.

But Chris attended a writing workshop I ran with fantasy author Craig Shaw Gardner, and clearly stood out as a guy with talent. He was the first from the group to get himself an agent and sell a novel. We like to bask in his success.

I read it when it came out, and it's a fantastic read. What's happening at Juno, are they not releasing this as an ebook for sale? Seems odd.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just downloaded the HTML and once I convert it shall put it in my to be read pile.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I read it when it came out, and it's a fantastic read. What's happening at Juno, are they not releasing this as an ebook for sale? Seems odd.
Chris said it was up in the Kindle store, then came down for some reason, but should go up again. Other formats, I don't know. But from what he's told me, Juno has gone through some major changes, which has left his book as something of an orphan. Maybe he'll come and provide further details. (Or correct me if I got it wrong.)
Old 03-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Chris said it was up in the Kindle store, then came down for some reason, but should go up again. Other formats, I don't know. But from what he's told me, Juno has gone through some major changes, which has left his book as something of an orphan. Maybe he'll come and provide further details. (Or correct me if I got it wrong.)
Thanks for the reply. I noticed their shift away from what you might call 'romantic-fantasy' towards, what I think they're calling 'kick-assitude', its even in their submission guidelines. A lot of the books that had a prominent place on the site, seem to be back-burnered (for want of a better word). Love to hear from Chris about his experiences with them as I'm submitting a series proposal to them in the coming weeks.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Juno is one of the good guys. They release their books, this one included, through Fictionwise in Multi-Format with no DRM.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just downloaded the HTML and once I convert it shall put it in my to be read pile.
I just converted it to lrf myself, w/o problem. But Calibre seems to be struggling on the epub conversion. Whoops, it just finished. Almost 9 minutes of hard running.

Hm, looks like it has some display problems in both. He may have set the html with big margins, so it would look better in a browser window.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
ChrisHoward
ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: iPad, Kindle 2, Sony Reader
Quote:

Thanks , Jeff! I have to scrape up some time, probably tonight, to work on converting Seaborn into other formats.

Chris
Old 03-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
ChrisHoward
ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.ChrisHoward can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I noticed their shift away from what you might call 'romantic-fantasy' towards, what I think they're calling 'kick-assitude', its even in their submission guidelines. A lot of the books that had a prominent place on the site, seem to be back-burnered (for want of a better word). Love to hear from Chris about his experiences with them as I'm submitting a series proposal to them in the coming weeks.
Paula Guran's my favorite editor! Juno Books hooked up with Simon & Schuster's Pocket Books division late last year, and, although they brought a couple books forward, let nearly all of the backlist go, including Seaborn. They're still looking for a strong female protag, but my impression is that they're focusing exclusively on urban and contemporary fantasy. I'd definitely sub to Juno. Paula's great to work with. She's an ebook fan--she pushed to have Seaborn released in ebook a month earlier than the print edition. I think almost everything Juno's published over the last few years is up on Fictionwise.

Chris
Old 03-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHoward View Post
Paula Guran's my favorite editor! Juno Books hooked up with Simon & Schuster's Pocket Books division late last year, and, although they brought a couple books forward, let nearly all of the backlist go, including Seaborn. They're still looking for a strong female protag, but my impression is that they're focusing exclusively on urban and contemporary fantasy. I'd definitely sub to Juno. Paula's great to work with. She's an ebook fan--she pushed to have Seaborn released in ebook a month earlier than the print edition. I think almost everything Juno's published over the last few years is up on Fictionwise.

Chris
Thanks for the scoop on Juno, Chris and it's a shame they dropped the backlist. Looks like I'll be subbing them some stuff in the next couple of weeks now, as the one I've written fits quite neatly into that category (oh for such fortune all the time)
Old 03-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
sethuramang
sethuramang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks Chris! I look forward to Seaborn showing up on the Kindle store.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks so much for making this available! Someone recommended it to me through my blog, but I've mostly stopped buying paper books and my county's library doesn't have it.

I'm going to start it right after I finish what I'm reading now. Yay!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:06 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If Juno have let Seaborn go, do they still have the right to sell it through Fictionwise? Because it's still up there.

http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook69015.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHoward View Post

Chris
Old 03-16-2009, 05:24 AM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If Juno have let Seaborn go, do they still have the right to sell it through Fictionwise? Because it's still up there.

Uh-oh!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
ChrisHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

I think it just takes a while. I have just re-submitted Seaborn to the Kindle Store and it looks like it went up yesterday or the day before. I set it to $2 and it looks like the minimum is $.99. I'm still playing with the format and pricing--I'm not satisfied with how I formatted it for the Kindle.
Closed Thread