Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
Mex5150
Banned
Mex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the rough

Location: To the left of your body, to the right of your mind, lost in a riddle.
Device: Android phone, Nook Touch Simple Glowlight
Reader app recommendations please.

Hi Guys,

I was using PageTurner Pro, but as it seems that is now a dead project, I'm looking for something to replace it, I've searched both here, and on the play store, but can't find a good replacement.

What I Need:
The ability to load files (mainly ePub files) from one of a few different OPDS servers.
The ability to synchronise reading progress between devices (all android).

What I'd like:
A nice night mode.
Normal stuff like change font style, size, etc.

Anybody know of anything suitable? It seem the sync side is what is causing the problems.

~Mex
Mex5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
You could try Moon+ Reader. I think it has both features.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Mex5150
Banned
Mex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the roughMex5150 is a jewel in the rough

Location: To the left of your body, to the right of your mind, lost in a riddle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
You could try Moon+ Reader. I think it has both features.
Ahh! I knew there was something I forgot to mention. It also needs to run on my old rooted NST Glowlight too, although Moon+ is a really nice app (I had already paid for the full version BTW), but sadly it isn't comparable with this older device.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=271692
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is an Android version of KOReader, although there are some Android devices that it is not yet working properly on. It has OPDS support, a progress sync and the other things you mentioned. Android is still a little "Beta" for KOReader, although it has worked great, almost from its first release, on my Asus EEE Transformer TF-101 tablet. There is still a very active development team at the project on Gethub.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-06-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
I would think it would be tough to find a modern book reader that has all functions and supports android 2.1.....
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
Bernice_Richards
Bernice_Richards began at the beginning.

Device: LG
There is an Android version of KOReader, although there are some Android devices that it is not yet working properly on. It has OPDS support, a progress sync and the other things you mentioned. Android is still a little "Beta" for KOReader, although it has worked great, almost from its first release, on my Asus EEE Transformer TF-101 tablet. There is still a very active development team at the project on Github.
Bernice_Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 AM   #8
julieelangwey
Banned
julieelangwey began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina Android E-reader 8gb Black Icarus Illumina Android E-r
Feedly (free)
considering Google Reader went into retirement, Feedly has grow to be the RSS reader of preference for plenty information junkies. It’s stunning to examine and fantastically responsive, with a fleet of powerful apps on iOS, Android and the internet.

At its center is a plethora of different viewing alternatives, so one can appeal to exceptional users primarily based on their mood and intake behavior. The title best view is best for power users, packing in as a great deal statistics as feasible, while the magazine view caters to a slower, extra laid-back analyzing enjoy.

The navigation menu, swipeable from the left-hand edge of the display, suggests all of your lists and the feeds that are contained inside them. It’s speedy and nicely-designed, with a simple manner for including new feeds and an interesting discover section for locating new content from retailers outdoor of your lists.
julieelangwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #9
Mex5150
Banned

Hi All,

It seems PageTurner is not actually dead, I still need to get to the bottom of the syncing issue, but that's something I can play about with when I get time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
I would think it would be tough to find a modern book reader that has all functions and supports android 2.1.....
I know the problem is support for the Nook, but when you think all the reader app needs to do is display text on screen, it really shouldn't need bleeding edge hardware or the latest and greatest OS to run on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julieelangwey View Post
Feedly (free)...
I think you may have answered a question from a different thread by mistake here.

~Mex
Old 04-09-2016, 02:35 AM   #10
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex5150 View Post
I know the problem is support for the Nook, but when you think all the reader app needs to do is display text on screen, it really shouldn't need bleeding edge hardware or the latest and greatest OS to run on
Oh I don't disagree, except that when stuff gets updated to run on modern gear, it sometimes just breaks its compatibility with older gear

another option might be to track down an older version of Aldiko, and aldiko sync

that was my book reader of choice for a LONG time
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:44 AM   #11
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Alreader is supposed to meet all your demands (even the Nook ST part).
Its my favourite one but I didn't try out sync, OPDS.
It takes some time to adjust it to your needs but its worth fiddling with it.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
Mex5150
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Alreader is supposed to meet all your demands (even the Nook ST part).
Its my favourite one but I didn't try out sync, OPDS.
It takes some time to adjust it to your needs but its worth fiddling with it.
Cool, I'll have a look (even though the need is not quite so pressing now I know PageTurner is still a live project).

Tags
android, pageturner, recommendation, synchronise