Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #916
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Does anybody have know of any free/cheap kindle books that have HD images for testing purposes? I've not come across any yet through my normal reading/purchasing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #917
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Check out the HD Image test files tkeo posted here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=779

Also a few posts earlier than that there was a Doormouse test case that had them as well (when we were fixing the split bug that lost mobi 8 images)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=740

Not sure if the link in that post is still active or not.
KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 07-15-2014 at 04:41 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:14 AM   #918
AaronShep
Connoisseur
AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Does anybody have know of any free/cheap kindle books that have HD images for testing purposes? I've not come across any yet through my normal reading/purchasing.
I'm not sure what qualifies as an HD image, but my book "Baking with Cookie Molds" is 99 cents and has about 75 photos that are 864 x 1296, with a few smaller or larger.
AaronShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #919
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@DiapDealer: Alternatively, I've just randomly fed an ePub that happened to have large images to KG 2.9, and bam, HDContainer .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #920
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
FYI, I finished reversing the full CONT record yesterday (apart from a couple of fields that are always zero and one in all the files I have seen). Feel free to pinch my work.

I also dont know what the bytes 4-12 in the CRES records are as they seem to always be 0000 000C
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #921
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Kovid,

Wonderful! Thanks. I will grab and integrate what I can into the next stable release. Luckily we don't ever have to write Kf8 files like Calibre does!

Take care,
Kevin

Edit: I grabbed calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/mobi/debug/containers.py to look at and that will be a big help in decoding the CONT header values actually mean! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
FYI, I finished reversing the full CONT record yesterday (apart from a couple of fields that are always zero and one in all the files I have seen). Feel free to pinch my work.

I also dont know what the bytes 4-12 in the CRES records are as they seem to always be 0000 000C

Last edited by KevinH; 07-17-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #922
tkeo
Connoisseur
tkeo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite, Kobo Aura HD
Hi,

It seems kindlegen.exe cannot set EXTH 508,512 and 522.
I also find that Furigana input fields exist in "Enter Your Book Details" page of KDP in amazon.co.jp, but not in amazon.com.

Thanks,
tkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #923
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi tkeo,

There are lots of EXTH values that can never be set by kindlegen but still exist in commercial ebooks produced by Amazon. Most but not all of these relate to DRM, text to speech settings, text clipping, the "watermark", the "tamperproof" keys, etc. So I am okay with decoding what these mean and using what we can to recreate the original epub as closely as possible. It just means that passing it back through kindlegen will not recreate the original as it has no way to set these extra MetaData.

I am thinking of writing a full metadata editor in python to allow full editing of metadata items in the mobi 6, mobi 8 and now container headers. I will base it off an improved version of the dual meta editor code along with the new information on all of the possible exth values.

That way people can augment the output of kindlgen with all of the known metadata without having to pass it through KDP or whatever else Amazon is doing now.

Take care,

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeo View Post
Hi,

It seems kindlegen.exe cannot set EXTH 508,512 and 522.
I also find that Furigana input fields exist in "Enter Your Book Details" page of KDP in amazon.co.jp, but not in amazon.com.

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #924
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@DiapDealer: Alternatively, I've just randomly fed an ePub that happened to have large images to KG 2.9, and bam, HDContainer .
I fed Kindlegen Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson and because it has large high resolution images, the resulting combo file does have HD images.

I did find one bug. in 0.73 with HDImages. If HDImages exist and you do not check to use them, you get a directory called HDImages with the HDImages. But if you check to use HD images and they exist, you get the HDImages directory, but it is empty. Even when there are no HD images present, the HDImages directory is created and empty.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #925
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi,

Yes, that is as designed. There are directories in the output tree for all possibilities for mobi 8.

Why do you consider that a bug? If there are no HDImages you can see that as the directory is empty. If there are HDImages then they will be placed there unless you tell KindleUnpack to instead use them to replace their lower resolution versions.

I consider that a "feature!". ;-)

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I fed Kindlegen Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson and because it has large high resolution images, the resulting combo file does have HD images.

I did find one bug. in 0.73 with HDImages. If HDImages exist and you do not check to use them, you get a directory called HDImages with the HDImages. But if you check to use HD images and they exist, you get the HDImages directory, but it is empty. Even when there are no HD images present, the HDImages directory is created and empty.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #926
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Why do you consider that a bug? If there are no HDImages you can see that as the directory is empty. If there are HDImages then they will be placed there unless you tell KindleUnpack to instead use them to replace their lower resolution versions.
Jon sometimes confuses "bug" with "I don't want it to work that way."

J/K Jon.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #927
tkeo
Connoisseur
tkeo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite, Kobo Aura HD
Hi Kevin,
Quote:
I am thinking of writing a full metadata editor in python to allow full editing of metadata items in the mobi 6, mobi 8 and now container headers. I will base it off an improved version of the dual meta editor code along with the new information on all of the possible exth values.
It is good if the full metadata editor is available.

I am now updating (very slowly though) the processing of RESC to separate metadata into for epub2 and for epub3, and of EXTH 508,512 and 522.

As for adding refine attribute from EXTH 508,512 and 522.
It is difficult to find correspondence between Titles, Creators, Publishers and EXTH 508,512, 522 if they have more than two values since KDP seems not preserve the oders of EXTH 508,512 and 522. So editing manually is required as you mentioned before.

Take care,
tkeo

Last edited by tkeo; 07-22-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: fixed typo.
tkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #928
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi,

Yes, that is as designed. There are directories in the output tree for all possibilities for mobi 8.

I consider that a "feature!". ;-)

KevinH
One of those "its a bug, but since I don't want to fix it, it's now a feature".
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #929
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Nope, it is "as designed" so it is a feature, not a bug. Please reread my comments about how it is meant to be used and what information it carries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One of those "its a bug, but since I don't want to fix it, it's now a feature".
Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #930
davidnwelton
davidnwelton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am sorry to butt in, but I was just curious if you guys had considered putting the source code for mobiunpack up on github or something like that that makes it easier to collaborate on.

Thanks
davidnwelton is offline   Reply With Quote