Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #31
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I switched over to Win 7 too, and run the very old program I use for accounting in a virtual machine. But virtual machines are on the order of Linux in difficulty.

But if Gregg's machine is old enough, it may not be able to run Win7. My laptop won't because of the lack of a Win7 video driver.

Gregg, have you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, a free download from Microsoft? It would tell you if your machine could even use it in the first place and what problems you would encounter.

It would have to be a clean install which is both an opportunity and a pain in the %^*(. With the machine no longer weighed down by years of junk, it might go faster.

Windows7 can be made to mostly act like XP with a program called Classic Shell. It is on both my machines. No reason to change my workflow to please the techies who have to have a new OS every year or they get bored.

FWIW, I have a machine in shop that will continue to run XP, it doesn't need anything else. On it I do not do general web browsing or email. That eliminates about 95% of the opportunity to pick up viruses or malware.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #32
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I switched over to Win 7 too, and run the very old program I use for accounting in a virtual machine. But virtual machines are on the order of Linux in difficulty.
Virtual Machines are not that difficult. I have several, mainly development machines to keep development, testing and operational seperated (also to see dependencies between libraries better).
I personally use VirtualBox, which is free to use. You just say how big it must be (memory/diskspace) and usually what OS will be on there and you are good to go. Of course you need to install our OS, but Greg already has a licensekey. It is really not difficult.
Now, if you want to use VMware ESX, that is a different story but also aimed for another market (business). For 'normal' people Virtualbox will suffice.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #33
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use Virtualbox. But on some machines it can be quite slow, if the machine doesn't support the necessary extensions in the BIOS.

It took me some doing to install XP, too and the ancient program I use, a DOS based Alpha4 took me several days to settle down so it was usable. Printer support in the virtual machine has had some issues as well. Network drives are interesting too if he has another computer networked to this one.

Since Gregg has had troubles where a number of us would not think it to be much of a problem, I hesitate to tangle him up any further. For him, it is a tool to do his main job, unlike for others where it is a hobby in itself. For me it is both, since I also just want the &%&^ thing to work when I want to ship an item or look up information.

With Sigil it will no doubt be better, but it still can be slow depending on the machine.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
W7 puts lots more demands on/of hardware than XP.

RAM (sweet spot): ~3G old MoBo's may not support more (size/qty)

Processor may be missing features (my old AMD Athelon has no SSE2)

Only has PATA/SATA 1.5 (slow)

Drivers (as mentioned) and replacement Hardware to keep it going.
(AGP and PCI (not PCI-E) boards are getting hard to find. (I just sent my ISA collection to the recyclers).

FWIW I just did a fresh install of XP pro (I accidentally dropped a new menu tobe item onto the Start button. It was so bad, I could not even run regedit The bad part: OMG HOURS. Install XP from the Mfgrs disk, apply SP3, Apply updates. The start putting back programs (and using saved settings).
I did find overall visual differences (probably, minor errors crept in over 7 years of use) that are not user setting related. Oh, did I say it runs faster, too.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #35
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
7 is soooooo great. Truly fabulous. I promise you wouldn't regret 7, that I know I can say.
Somebody has 7 in the office. Yeah, it's fine.
Quote:
Which is WHY I don't know why you don't just install 7 and Office 2010 (or, hell, keep 2003 if you wish; I have 2003 and 2010 on my system, "just in case") and stick with what you know, and what works for you. Why all the resistance?

Hitch
The office has been bailing (me too) on XP. I have three Xubuntu 10.13 machines now and will have access to three more Dell XPs come April 8th. But I have done the compatibilty tests on the computers and they won't run Windows 7. So I'd have to buy a new computer. Not the end of the world. But I've got 6 computers now! And Linux is kind of fun. I just don't want to go crazy with it any more.

How about this theory? (And this is all on Linux now.) I've got Sigil. LO is decent (and I still have Word 2003 on a couple of laptops if I need them). So that takes care of the epubs. I'm still missing two things from my work process: Kindle Previewer and Sony Reader Library. Now (I've still got my original XP computer) can I download the updated .exe files for KP and SRL and update KP and SRL on my old computer? That way I could work on it off-line and not have to worry about viruses.

(But it is getting a little complicated because I could just update Sigil too and do everything (except uploading and downloading) off-line on my old computer. lol)

Quote:

Gregg, have you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, a free download from Microsoft? It would tell you if your machine could even use it in the first place and what problems you would encounter.
Yes, ran it. None of my computers will work with Windows 7.
Quote:
No reason to change my workflow to please the techies who have to have a new OS every year or they get bored.
See, that's the thing--I'm enjoying Linux, but like you said a while back it's a Formula One race car that needs a ride-along mechanic--and I'm not enjoying being that mechanic. I thought using Linux would settle down for me and in many ways it has, but it seems as well that there are always new challenges too. (It's sucking up my time.)
Quote:
FWIW, I have a machine in shop that will continue to run XP, it doesn't need anything else. On it I do not do general web browsing or email. That eliminates about 95% of the opportunity to pick up viruses or malware.
If you would, see what I asked Hitch about using XP off-line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Virtual Machines are not that difficult. I have several, mainly development machines to keep development, testing and operational seperated (also to see dependencies between libraries better).
I personally use VirtualBox, which is free to use. You just say how big it must be (memory/diskspace) and usually what OS will be on there and you are good to go. Of course you need to install our OS, but Greg already has a licensekey. It is really not difficult.
Now, if you want to use VMware ESX, that is a different story but also aimed for another market (business). For 'normal' people Virtualbox will suffice.
Thanks Toxaris. Virtual Box. I'll remember that.
Quote:
I use Virtualbox. But on some machines it can be quite slow, if the machine doesn't support the necessary extensions in the BIOS.

It took me some doing to install XP, too and the ancient program I use, a DOS based Alpha4 took me several days to settle down so it was usable. Printer support in the virtual machine has had some issues as well. Network drives are interesting too if he has another computer networked to this one.

Since Gregg has had troubles where a number of us would not think it to be much of a problem, I hesitate to tangle him up any further. For him, it is a tool to do his main job, unlike for others where it is a hobby in itself.
Yeah, that's perfect, mrmikel. I don't want to spend "days" figuring this stuff out anymore. Linux is fun. It's fast. It's a computer, whereas Windows is more a GUI. But I'm a writer, not a techie, formatter or Dalek. (I had to Google Dalek.)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #36
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I followed this thread with some interest, wondering how long you would follow this tricky path.

I have been a Linux user for some years now (2006) and I keep using it (I also use Virtualbox from my Linux to host an XP using FineReader11). I cannot imagine coming back to Windows as my main system. You have tried to learn Linux quickly with a professional pressure. I think this is the worst-case scenario. I would have hated -and feared- to do it this way.

I am quite satisfied with odt format, OpenOffice or LibreOffice, and now the calibre Editor (to replace Sigil) not to speak of many other tools you may find.

Don't throw it away now. Keep one Linux on the side, like a hobby, tweaking it gently, solving questions, one by one. Breathe. Take your time. Learn first how to save (or clone) a partition. Ultimately, because you are just asking for very simple tasks, I'm sure you'll be rewarded.

Last edited by roger64; 03-29-2014 at 09:04 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #37
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I followed this thread with some interest, wondering how long you would follow this tricky path.

I have been a Linux user for some years now (2006) and I keep using it (I also use Virtualbox from my Linux to host an XP using FineReader11). I cannot imagine coming back to Windows as my main system. You have tried to learn Linux quickly with a professional pressure. I think this is the worst-case scenario. I would have hated -and feared- to do it this way.

I am quite satisfied with odt format, OpenOffice or LibreOffice, and now the calibre Editor (to replace Sigil) not to speak of many other tools you may find.

Don't throw it away now. Keep one Linux on the side, like a hobby, tweaking it gently, solving questions, one by one. Breathe. Take your time. Learn first how to save (or clone) a partition. Ultimately, because you are just asking for very simple tasks, I'm sure you'll be rewarded.
Thanks, Roger. That's calming advice. I really like Linux it's just I want to be able to do there what I did in Windows without sacrificing quality. And I've enjoyed learning about Linux, but even just learning the things necessary to make an ebook sometimes seems like a never-ending proposition. I'll do my best to chill a little bit.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #38
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

It would have to be a clean install which is both an opportunity and a pain in the %^*(. With the machine no longer weighed down by years of junk, it might go faster.
A clean install can rejuvenate a computer. Or it can be disappointing, when the slowdown wasn't to be blamed on Windows crud, but on a gradually failing hard drive. This is very common with laptop computers in particular.

But have you seen the price of a new computer these days? A workhorse Windows 8 machine costs about the same as half-a-dozen tankfulls of petrol here in the UK. It really isn't worth keeping old equipment limping along.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #39
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post

I second that. Depending on how much pressure you have time-wise it can be frustrating or rewarding to tinker with a Linux system.
Because there are loads of improvements you will find compared to a windows box. Frustration arises only if you need a very specific feat you had on your windows PC and you need it now or yesterday - because that makes you highspeed STFW and RTFM.
So much of NOT fun.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #40
mrmikel
Color me gone

(I had to Google Dalek.)

Dr. Whom????? (grin)

There are an awful lot of people who run Linux here, Gregg. If you run into a problem, help is not far away. Once you get it going right, it should just continue to work, since you are not trying to stretch your boundaries but just get the job done.

Viruses don't come out of the blue. They travel on on a web page you browse or on email, so so long as you have a good firewall and antivirus installed on the xp computer and only go to a computer of yours just to get a file and to the antivirus/firewall company to get updates, I don't see how you get infected. This is especially true since the rest of the world will continue to keep up their software. Just Microsoft is ending support.

But you have to treat this computer differently than any other, if you are like most people. No cute cat videos, no getting a cute screensaver, no fetching email just once. I would disable all the accounts on email and get rid of your favorites on the browser.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #41
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
t really isn't worth keeping old equipment limping along.
Thanks wombat, And I agree with you but only up to a point. The thing is these Linux boxes I've got aren't limping along--they're humming. And I have three now and I'll soon have three more. Not using them would make me feel like the conspicuous consumption Ugly American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I second that. Depending on how much pressure you have time-wise it can be frustrating or rewarding to tinker with a Linux system.
Because there are loads of improvements you will find compared to a windows box. Frustration arises only if you need a very specific feat you had on your windows PC and you need it now or yesterday - because that makes you highspeed STFW and RTFM.
So much of NOT fun.
Thanks Free. And I'm chilling a bit. Appreciate the good words of common sense.

Quote:
(I had to Google Dalek.)

Dr. Whom????? (grin)

There are an awful lot of people who run Linux here, Gregg. If you run into a problem, help is not far away.
Thanks.

Quote:

But you have to treat this computer differently than any other, if you are like most people. No cute cat videos, no getting a cute screensaver, no fetching email just once. I would disable all the accounts on email and get rid of your favorites on the browser.
Thanks for the great advice. Thing is my sister and another in the office still have XPs too, so they really should bail and get new computers, right? They do A LOT of emailing.

And I'm calming down on the Linux issue. Right now I'm a little concerned about LO having more cruft in it than MS Office Word 2003, but I can live with that. If I can get Kindlegen to work on the command line I won't need Kindle Previewer, but the one thing I feel I would still "need" is something you turned me onto a long time ago--editing in Sony Reader Library. It's just perfect. And it's just Windows and Mac! LOL A very knowledgeable friend said my computer barely was able to run XP it's not going to be able to run XP in a virtual box. Any ideas? It's kinda your fault!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #42
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
A very knowledgeable friend said my computer barely was able to run XP it's not going to be able to run XP in a virtual box. Any ideas? It's kinda your fault!
At a certain point in time you should give an old friend it rest. Enough is enough...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #43
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Anyone seriously interested in converting, creating and manipulating eBooks will need Word, Calibre, Acrobat, Sigil, MobiPocket Creator, Adobe Digital Editions, Abbyy FineReader, Kindle Previewer....(what have I missed out?) or functional equivalents.

Pick a platform that does the job.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #44
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
...not until I can snag the Surface Pro 2 that I've been waiting (and waiting and waiting) for. (The wait for which getteth on my nerveth).

Hitch

Sorry to get off-topic, but do you mind sharing what's causing you to wait on the Surface Pro 2? I just started to look at that as a possible platform to use for Windows 8 development.

Thanks!
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post

Sorry to get off-topic, but do you mind sharing what's causing you to wait on the Surface Pro 2? I just started to look at that as a possible platform to use for Windows 8 development.

Thanks!
Waiting on the vaporware version that I can't seem to find. I want the 256gig box, and it's been "out of stock due to demand" for...hell, nearly 5 months now, everywhere I look. That's the only reason. I do a ton of work on my devices, and I suck up tons of SS drive space.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote