Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #16
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
goodreads has recommendations? LOL. I use adblock plus so don't see any adds on my main feed page.
I think the recommendations are only on certain pages. You see them when you click on a book to get more detail or something. I've seen them and I have adblock so I know they aren't all blocked. To get into the "recommendation" bucket though, a book has to have over 100 reviews.

I'm not so thrilled with this news. GR was a nice neutral site to talk books. And in the past Amazon has bought sites and let them completely languish.

Of course, I'm really most...distraught because it's one of the few places where my books can be recommended for nook readers, kobo readers and so on. Since so many authors went exclusive those few of us who didn't had kind of an edge/place where there were clans of non-kindle users on GR looking for bargain reads. Selfish of me, I know.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Goodreads recommendations are based on what must be one of the worst-written algorithms of all time. I swear it just recommends the top books in each category (mystery, biography etc.) that figures prominently on your bookshelf. Amazon's "other people who viewed this page bought these products", on the other hand, is a marvel, probably because it doesn't try to do anything fancy. It just shows you the purchases of people with similar tastes to your own.

Hard to know how to react to this news. The language of the press releases makes it sound like a straight-up acquisition rather than an acqui-hire, but Amazon is known for buying and then extinguishing promising startups that build on the land bordering its turf.

There was a lot said about The Kindle, but nothing about Kindle apps for 3rd party platforms. I'd be pretty happy if Goodreads integration was built into the iOS Kindle app. I hope that this will, alongside other potential improvements, solve the rather annoying problem of being unable to post status updates (which are based on physical page numbers) when reading an electronic book.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I found the recommendations section. Nice to look at the large covers, but unlikely that I would read anything based on those selections. I do rely heavily on goodreads reviews to make reading selections. It is the primary place I look for reviews. I hope they don't make any changes to the things I like about the site. I am a very heavy goodreads user, in that I mark all books I have read (or tried to). If I lost that data, I would be very upset. I also keep records in google doc spread sheets, but google could theoretically cut those off.

If goodreads changes I will go ballistic!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
You can export your GR-shelves, as a csv-file. A few things don't export, like reading progress, but most things do.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
You’ll be glad to know that this announcement is great news for our catalog. Amazon metadata will be returning to the site,...
Why did it leave?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
goodreads has recommendations? LOL. I use adblock plus so don't see any adds on my main feed page.
At the top of all the pages in GR I remember, there's a link at the top that says "Recommendations". It's not an add, it's a whole page of recommendations based on what you've read, rated, and what's in your TBR pile listed by Genre. You're supposed to be able to tweak it by marking stuff you're not interested in, like Amazons.

I've not been a fan of their recommendations, though. Lots of misses. Way too many. I get better suggestions from browsing the Listopia pages.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Why did it leave?
Because at the time Goodreads didn't agree with the new terms Amazon had for use of their API.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Because at the time Goodreads didn't agree with the new terms Amazon had for use of their API.
Thanks for the info. I don't use Goodreads (or anything similar), so I have no idea what goes on there.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #24
narflet
narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I hope that this will, alongside other potential improvements, solve the rather annoying problem of being unable to post status updates (which are based on physical page numbers) when reading an electronic book.
You do know you can update you status by % read as well as page number? If you've selected an edition listed as a kindle or ebook edition then it'll automatically be set to %. If not, then when you're viewing the full version of the site to update your status just click on the word 'page' in the status update section (i.e. where it says 'I'm on page x of x' and it'll switch to % instead.

As for the amazon/gr news, I honestly don't know whether this is a good or bad thing yet. Will have to wait and see where it goes.
narflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
it's a huge move. Goodreads was second in recommending books only to Amazon. Amazon is now past behemoth status.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #26
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
After this acquisition the best thing that could happen to Goodreads would be nothing at all.

The worst thing that could happen could be very bad.

I haven't been on there very long, but I try to put some thought into my reviews there. On the other hand, I don't review books at Amazon at all. For some reason Amazon thinks they should own my reviews over there.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #27
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Didnt goodreads take amazon off their book list at one point due to amazon stopping them from using reviews or something like that?
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #28
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I wonder if Kobo will still show Goodreads reviews on their site.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #29
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I am perfectly fine with this, as long as the pre-existing Amazon reviews for books don't get merged with the current Goodreads database.

Too many stupid people on Amazon rating a book 1star, or 5, because it was shipped really slow, or fast, ie, rating the book instead of the seller.

Other than that, I would love to see some Amazon money poured into GR to get some things updated [re-reads is TOP on my wishlist]
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Didnt goodreads take amazon off their book list at one point due to amazon stopping them from using reviews or something like that?
They were using the metadata APIs in a non-approved manner.
http://www.teleread.com/chris-meadow...-terms-of-use/

Quote:

Amazon will not allow sites using the API to link to the book on any other on-line retailer except Amazon, but Goodreader provides links to titles on multiple retailers. Also, Amazon will not allow content from its API to be used in mobile sites or applications. Goodreads will switch to paying to license data from Ingram, and will also use information from the Library of Congress and other sources.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote