Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think an iPad Mini will ship this year?
I believe it is for real, and I want one 32 35.16%
I believe it is for real, not interested in one 45 49.45%
I don't think it is coming soon, but I'm interested 6 6.59%
I don't think it is coming soon, not interested 6 6.59%
I will only get one if it blends 2 2.20%
Other (explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #31
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
I would have voted yes to the question:

Do I believe it is coming and would I be interested if it has a 3G option and is substantially cheaper than the current iPad?
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #32
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
No Thanks!

I think they better make one - otherwise continue to lose out on a growing market for 7-inchers.
I won't be getting one though; we're really happy with our current non-Apple 7-inchers and have an aversion to Apple's walled-garden approach in general. (Their new connectors for the iPhone 5, obsoleting existing ones, didn't gain them any credibility in this regard!)
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #33
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Today's news:

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-reported...141535445.html
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #34
Marc_liest
Early Adopter
Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marc_liest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: einige
Apple announces special event for Oct. 23
Marc_liest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
(Their new connectors for the iPhone 5, obsoleting existing ones, didn't gain them any credibility in this regard!)
Apple should include a free adapter with each device that uses this new port.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Even with an adapter many of the existing docks won't work well as the adapter will make the iDevice ride up higher than designed. Most electronics companies have finally gone over to using the micro-USB, I wish Apple would do the same.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #37
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
The new connector also has an embedded chip which, apparently, will make it hard to create knock-offs. It's for security though, it's no money grabbing scheme.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #38
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The new connector also has an embedded chip which, apparently, will make it hard to create knock-offs. It's for security though, it's no money grabbing scheme.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #39
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
last I heard it has been cracked?
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #40
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
i am so sick of apple rumors. They are nothing but ploys to drive up the stock market and to keep everyone interested in apple computers. THats it in a nutshell folks
Of course, and it works, so why shouldn't they do it? But if you are tired of reading about it, just stop?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #41
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Oh, I doubt Apple will be giving away anything free anytime soon; especially as it relates to keeping it Proprietary. (I get "digital claustrophobia" just thinking about Apple!)

First they dumped Google Maps - with the ensuing fowl-up, and now this, sheesh! Will their millions of customers stick with them, or will some say "enough" already!

What's that story about killing the Goose that laid the Golden Egg!
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
Oh, I doubt Apple will be giving away anything free anytime soon; especially as it relates to keeping it Proprietary. (I get "digital claustrophobia" just thinking about Apple!)

First they dumped Google Maps - with the ensuing fowl-up, and now this, sheesh! Will their millions of customers stick with them, or will some say "enough" already!

What's that story about killing the Goose that laid the Golden Egg!
I've never understood brand/company loyalty, especially with Apple and Sony since they charge a really high premium price for their products. It kind of reminds me of that scene in Animal House where the frat pledge is stripped to his underwear and bent over being whacked with a paddle, and after each degrading whack he yells out, "Please sir can I have another." I sort of envision a lot of the Apple fans in that state of mentality--they will take whatever Apple dishes out and be happy with it and remain loyal.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #43
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Yes, I do believe there is one coming. Apple has officially announced an event for next week with the tag line "We've got a little more to show you" and I'd say that is a clear indicator for an iPad Mini.

They also see that there is a market for a 7" (ok, it'll be nearly 8") iPad. They see eReaders from B&N, Amazon, Kobo, Google and others are doing well, or will have better products in that range shortly.

They want a slice, a very big slice of that pie, and being brutal, I think they'll get it and dominate the 7" market in the same way they do the current tablet market.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #44
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've never understood brand/company loyalty, especially with Apple and Sony since they charge a really high premium price for their products....
Cost isn't as important to some as it is to others.

Familiarity and the fact you can't get get other brands of machines to even run Apple OSs (without a bit tomfoolery) is another. Though, personally, I like the hardware, too.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #45
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've never understood brand/company loyalty, especially with Apple and Sony since they charge a really high premium price for their products. It kind of reminds me of that scene in Animal House where the frat pledge is stripped to his underwear and bent over being whacked with a paddle, and after each degrading whack he yells out, "Please sir can I have another." I sort of envision a lot of the Apple fans in that state of mentality--they will take whatever Apple dishes out and be happy with it and remain loyal.
well I sort of agree but you omit one important thing. Apple products (in general) work so well and user satisfaction is higher than other brands. Look at the ipod, it has a 70% market share!
And not only that Apple have been at the forefront (arguably until recently?) of innovation (iphone, ipads etc)

but I agree, they are not cheap
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote