Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #31
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
>>Black Rednecks and White Liberals<< by Thomas Sowell //2005//

challenges the long-prevailing assumptions about blacks, about Jews, about Germans, about slavery, and about education.

a powerful book. by the way, Sowell is black.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #32
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Throwing my hat in the ring, too, for the Feynman book(s). "Surely You're Joking" was just one of them. You should definitely read his biography, Genius, by James Gleick.
Oh I agree, The other Feynman books are great, but none of the others are so bone jarring hilarious. It is also quiet accessable, as it requies no prior knowledge or intrest in science or feynman.

Thats why I usually recommand statying with this, and then moving on to his other books.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #33
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I love Chasing the Mountain of Light: Across India on the Trail of the Koh-i-noor Diamond. Mystery and adventure and intrigue all rolled into one. I do read non-fiction, but I generally don't devour it the way I do fiction... however, this true story had me entranced. Sadly, I don't think it's available as an eBook in ANY format... I checked BooksOnBoard, Amazon, etc... I can only find the dead tree version. But it's definitely worth reading.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #34
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Alia, you'd like Diamond, by Matthew Hart, subtitled "The History of a Cold-Blooded Love Affair". ISBN 0-452-28370-1. Ebook status unknown.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #35
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
curse you, ralph sir edward ! and all the rest of ye ! my reading list was already probably too long to reasonably fit inside one lifetime, and now look what you've done.

i really think i will have to quit my job, and do nothing else, but read. (oh, the torture )

on that note, i'm going to bed (to read...) now.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #36
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Fear, destruction, and chaos. My job here is done......

Seriously, I'm glad to see the responses. They are mind and taste and world-view stretching suggestions. Like Zelda_Pinwheel, I don't when I'll get to them, but I'll give it a go. Keep them coming...(hello, ABE.COM)

This one is not too obscure, but it's a great "playing games in your head" fantasy book. Silverlock, by John Myers Myers. It's a fantasy about reading. Imagine this thread as a book (and a very entertaining one, at that).
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Fear, destruction, and chaos. My job here is done......

Seriously, I'm glad to see the responses. They are mind and taste and world-view stretching suggestions. Like Zelda_Pinwheel, I don't when I'll get to them, but I'll give it a go. Keep them coming...(hello, ABE.COM)

This one is not too obscure, but it's a great "playing games in your head" fantasy book. Silverlock, by John Myers Myers. It's a fantasy about reading. Imagine this thread as a book (and a very entertaining one, at that).
Yes, Silverlock is a wonderful book. I actually have the First Edition.

Silverlock has been compared to the witty fantasies of James Branch Cabell.

If you can find this book, I heartily recommend it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #38
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Silverlock is available at NESFA press (in hardcover) with a built-in 100+ page concordance....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #39
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
Dino Buzzati

Anything by Dino Buzzati. I recommend Restless Nights. Also, Siren collection is also good.

Borgesian fiction reminiscient of Calvino, with a little fantasy thrown in.
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Obscure book you should read:

_Developing Visual FoxPro Applications with Visual Fox Express_

Why you should read it...

Because I wrote it.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 04-28-2008 at 11:51 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #41
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Boscure book you should read:

_Developing Visual FoxPro Application with Visual Fox Express_

Why you should read it...

Because I wrote it.

BOb
So you are that BOb. I have one client that has it as they still use FoxPro. (The last serious development I did in Fox was in FoxBASE+) I remember reading part of that book about a year ago.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #42
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Alia, you'd like Diamond, by Matthew Hart, subtitled "The History of a Cold-Blooded Love Affair". ISBN 0-452-28370-1. Ebook status unknown.
Thanks for the recommendation, Taylor! I'll definitely check it out.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #43
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Is Will Cuppy obscure? His The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody should be read because it is so funny and it is claimed that the historical details are correct. It is very dry humour.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #44
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
So you are that BOb. I have one client that has it as they still use FoxPro. (The last serious development I did in Fox was in FoxBASE+) I remember reading part of that book about a year ago.
i never read that book, but i did have a temp job just after university filling information into a foxpro database. that was a reeeeeally boring job. but it might not have been foxpro's fault. and i won't hold you accountable, Bob, either.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #45
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is Will Cuppy obscure? His The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody should be read because it is so funny and it is claimed that the historical details are correct. It is very dry humour.
Well, his How to be a Hermit has already been posted in our Book Uploads section.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote