Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Eppie
Eppie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Got 2nd Kindle, won't recognize Calibre books

I got a second Kindle3 (to replace a defective one). Both the old one and the new one are registered to the same Amazon account.

I attached the Kindle to the computer and loaded my Calibre books onto it. When I try to open/read one on the Kindle, the message says:

"This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user. Delete it and download it form your Archived Items."

Shouldn't I be able to load them from Calibre? That was certainly easier than having to go Amazon and put each one in separately.

Is this a problem that I need to call Amazon service about?

Thanks!
Eppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No you are going to have to redownload the books from Amazon. Each book is DRM locked to a specific Kindle.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Eppie

Oh my word. So...all the files I have in Calibre will now either be disconnected to my Kindle, or I will have to remake all of them?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Well you can download the books again and replace the copy stored in Calibre with the one you have just downloaded.

Of course an alternative is to remove the DRM protection, and although the tools for doing this are freely available on the Internet it is not legal in many countries.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
Eppie

Thanks for your help!

I went ahead and just downloaded them from Amazon into the Kindle. It didn't take too long--Calibre lets me know which ones I had already read, etc.

Since I had worked with and changed the metadata on a lot of the Calibre books, I wouldn't want to re-do that.