Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Patti Smith - Just Kids wins National Book Award for Nonfiction

Rock musician Patti Smith is now a literary star. Her memoir about life in New York City in the 1960s, Just Kids, won the National Book Award for nonfiction. The literary awards were handed out Wednesday night in New York City.

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/18/131406...nfiction-award

at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Just-Kids-Patt...0537268&sr=1-1

A bit more here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...ti-smith-weeps
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I'm a Patti fan from way back so I am deeply biased.

I loved the book, though it wasn't perfect. It's written in her simple, poetic style but I have to say I think it was frustratingly superficial. Topics she could have gone into in more depth, are just mentioned in passing. Someone not already familiar with her life and music would miss a lot of the references and be confused.

Warning to ebook purchasers: One of the reviews on Amazon complains that the photos are missing from the Kindle edition.

I had to buy the Borders-Australia ebook because of geo-restrictions. That too, had no photos. Also, there were minor format and typo problems. When I complained to Borders, they refunded my money.

I would recommend people stick to the real book.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I'm a Patti fan from way back so I am deeply biased.

I loved the book, though it wasn't perfect. It's written in her simple, poetic style but I have to say I think it was frustratingly superficial. Topics she could have gone into in more depth, are just mentioned in passing. Someone not already familiar with her life and music would miss a lot of the references and be confused.

Warning to ebook purchasers: One of the reviews on Amazon complains that the photos are missing from the Kindle edition.

I had to buy the Borders-Australia ebook because of geo-restrictions. That too, had no photos. Also, there were minor format and typo problems. When I complained to Borders, they refunded my money.

I would recommend people stick to the real book.
I ordered the p-book.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote