Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 01:05 AM   #1
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Thumbs up New Nook Firmware

Tonight I randomly checked to see if there was new firmware , for my NOOK 7.8 glowlight plus, and to my surprise there was. I downloaded it but it says it will not update until it goes to sleep. Hopefully, I will have more to say on this later to tell what new features and perhaps bugs fixes they are pushing. Maybe, bluetooth will work with their Author interviews now.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My new Nook updated yesterday, the moment I took it out of the box and connected to wifi. But I have nothing to compare it with, of course.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My new Nook updated yesterday, the moment I took it out of the box and connected to wifi. But I have nothing to compare it with, of course.
I got my Nook like a little less than a week and half ago if I remember correctly so there was definitely firmware update. The firmware version is your 'app version' and mine says 5.0.0.129/5.0.5.27' that is definitely an increment.

Seems like bug fixes, stability enhancing , and maybe speed fixes but I don't consider my Nook considerably slow, anyway, since in the developers' options I switched it from Dalvik to ART. ART is faster and I think all more modern versions of Android use it by default.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
The firmware version is your 'app version' and mine says 5.0.0.129/5.0.5.27' that is definitely an increment.

Seems like bug fixes, stability enhancing , and maybe speed fixes but I don't consider my Nook considerably slow, anyway, since in the developers' options I switched it from Dalvik to ART. ART is faster and I think all more modern versions of Android use it by default.
I have the same version.

I don't think the Nook is all that slow either, it's just slower than the Oasis or Voyage and I was used to their speed. But I'm not terribly bothered by my Nook's tardiness. After all, when I'm reading a novel, I'm generally in no hurry.

I may look into the developers' options later, thanks for the tip.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Paperwhite 4, Nook 7" Tablet
Has anyone else had their screensavers change or disappear after the update? I used to have the quotes screensavers but after the update it switched to something else. When I went to the screen settings, there was no longer an option to pick screensavers. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious.
Traciinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traciinaz View Post
Has anyone else had their screensavers change or disappear after the update? I used to have the quotes screensavers but after the update it switched to something else. When I went to the screen settings, there was no longer an option to pick screensavers. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious.
I don't see an option to pick screensavers anywhere. My screensavers are bookshelves, books and the like. As my Nook updated immediately after switching it on the first time, I've no idea what the screensavers were before.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't see an option to pick screensavers anywhere. My screensavers are bookshelves, books and the like. As my Nook updated immediately after switching it on the first time, I've no idea what the screensavers were before.
Yes those are the screensavers I have now too. They must have removed the option to choose which screensavers showed.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
A couple of questions, sorry if they are dumb:
  • Is the new firmware only for the new Glowlight Plus? Anyone have it show up on the Plus (2015) or Glowlight 3?
  • If it's available on those earlier models, any noticeable improvement? Is the 3 more stable? Any new or returning features (aside from screensavers disappearing)?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Traciinaz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
A couple of questions, sorry if they are dumb:
  • Is the new firmware only for the new Glowlight Plus? Anyone have it show up on the Plus (2015) or Glowlight 3?
  • If it's available on those earlier models, any noticeable improvement? Is the 3 more stable? Any new or returning features (aside from screensavers disappearing)?
I have the Glowlight 3 and had the update show up yesterday. I noticed there's now a status bar next to the book showing how far along you are in it. I haven't noticed any stability changes, however I also haven't had any stability issues with the GL3.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traciinaz View Post
I have the Glowlight 3 and had the update show up yesterday. I noticed there's now a status bar next to the book showing how far along you are in it. I haven't noticed any stability changes, however I also haven't had any stability issues with the GL3.
Yep, they took that screensaver, away. It does not bother me anyway since Linux has one named fortune that has WAY more quotes than that screensaver. That wallpaper just recycled the same few quotes over and over again so that they became tiresome to me.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:18 PM   #11
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Since the new firmware, my GL3 is back to forgetting all my sideloaded books for many hours after I've used Calibre to delete books I no longer want and sideload new boks.
It seems to have to be left 'sleeping' overnight to recreate its library database.

That was an early problem, gone for a while, now back.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
nellie27
Enthusiast
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Since the new firmware, my GL3 is back to forgetting all my sideloaded books for many hours after I've used Calibre to delete books I no longer want and sideload new boks.
It seems to have to be left 'sleeping' overnight to recreate its library database.

That was an early problem, gone for a while, now back.
Your books do show up after some amount of time, though?
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
hank
Dinosaur

Yes, as before it takes several hours.

Also I'm noticing that in the evening, after 8 or 9pm Pacific, there's a stretch of time when the Nook is we-used-to-say-glacially slow. Usually I reboot it and that fixes that problem. It seems to be doing something on WiFi when it slows dows (at least turning off home wifi also interrupts whatever it's doing).

Is the Nook now synchronizing some database with Barnes and Noble?
Old 08-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #14
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Yes, as before it takes several hours.

Also I'm noticing that in the evening, after 8 or 9pm Pacific, there's a stretch of time when the Nook is we-used-to-say-glacially slow. Usually I reboot it and that fixes that problem. It seems to be doing something on WiFi when it slows dows (at least turning off home wifi also interrupts whatever it's doing).

Is the Nook now synchronizing some database with Barnes and Noble?
I routinely sync for any updates then promptly turn wifi off because it drains the battery faster to have wifi always on. I never use the post quotes to facebook function or whatever social media function it has (not sure as I don't use it) so there is no reason for me to have it turned on.

It probably does sync to a database so B&N can push out info on other books you might like on the homescreen and doing cloud syncing etc... you can turn that cloud stuff off in the Downlaods and Storage section of settings on the eReader.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any slow down as I usually have WIFI turned off.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 08-02-2019 at 04:44 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-04-2019, 12:36 AM   #15
hank
Dinosaur

I see they added a "hint" which says if you don't see all your books click the "refresh" 2-circling-arrows icon.

I guess it was easier to add a line of text than fix the disappearing books bug.

Three hours and counting since I last sideloade and deleted some books with Calibre and, as usual, all the books that should have been untouched disappeared from the Nook library. They're still visible in Calibre and via Mac desktop folder contents, so I continue to sigh and trust the Nook will eventually get itself updated.

Why, oh, why can't the Nook keep from losing track of its own files?

Tags
bugs, features, firmware, nook