Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #31
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The Cornwalls Are Gone by James Patterson. I was hoping to like the book but I did not. I rushed myself threw it
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #32
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Classics or well-known I hated and don't get the hype about -

Where the Red Fern Grows
The Sun Also Rises
Girl, Interrupted
The Orphan's Tale
The Thorn Birds

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 11-21-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #33
lazyreadr
lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo Libra
Despite his success definitively

A Song of Ice and Fire from George R. R. Martin

I bought the first 3 books as a combination deal and never read the 3rd book. And the first 2 books were just tediously carrying on, way too long. That is one book series where the movie version is certainly much better than the books.

The story telling style is already pretty simple and bland, way to complicated turns in the books, a conglomerate of characters heavily slanted for drama, very shallow descriptions and just no drive in the whole story at all.
lazyreadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #34
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
The Sword of Shannara Trilogy! Why, oh why didn’t I just say uncle? I guess I kept reading in the hope that the time I’d already invested wasn’t a complete loss... It was. After that 1200 page slog, I learned the valuable lesson that it’s ok to bail out.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #35
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Midnight's Children - ugh! Rushdie writes well, but the way the book revels in pain and filth made finishing it a painful slog. I'd hoped to enjoy it because of very literally owing my existence to Partition, but it was one of the most profoundly unpleasant reading experiences of my life. Give me A Suitable Boy any day.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 01-03-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #36
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
The Sword of Shannara Trilogy! Why, oh why didn’t I just say uncle? I guess I kept reading in the hope that the time I’d already invested wasn’t a complete loss... It was. After that 1200 page slog, I learned the valuable lesson that it’s ok to bail out.
I have very fond memories of this trilogy.

I should have let them remain fond memories. I think the second and third have held up better than the first but the first is ... not as good as I remember. I'm not going to try the others and ruin my nostalgia.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #37
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Hmm... I tried this many years ago. I do not recall if I finished it, but I presume I did because I almost always did back then. I do know the result was that I never touched another book by this author.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have to disagree. I've read some of the series and I do like it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Satanic Verses. I abandoned it about 1/3 of the way in. I don't remember enjoying any of it at all.

I also gave up on The Name of the Rose. I just couldn't get interested in it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #40
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I have very fond memories of this trilogy.

I should have let them remain fond memories. I think the second and third have held up better than the first but the first is ... not as good as I remember. I'm not going to try the others and ruin my nostalgia.
As they say, ‘been there, and done that’.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:45 AM   #41
lazyreadr
lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Interstingly the movie is quite decent. Seems to be a similar case to Song of Ice and Fire, where the book wins from beeing put into TV. For the majority of the books it is luckily the other way around.
lazyreadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:47 AM   #42
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Satanic Verses. I abandoned it about 1/3 of the way in. I don't remember enjoying any of it at all.

I gave The Name of the Rose 2 stars, and I'm kinda proud of the review I wrote about it. These days my writing ability is so meagre. I'm thinking to write some fanfic and see what happens.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #43
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Ah... The Name of the Rose... I had given up on that one, too. But then I got measles... It was in my student days and I had several exams coming, but I couldn't concentrate on any study material without developing a terrible headache... And there, in the bookshelf, The Name of the Rose... Oddly enough, I could read it without getting the headache... In the end I loved that book.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #44
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
One of my favorite authors, but I accept that any author and any book is not for everybody. In science fiction, I prefer action/adventure and my sister prefers hard science, so we rarely have books in common in that genre (how can she hate Heinlein?).

For me, Gone Girl was a complete slog of depression. Same thing with Girl with Dragon Tattoo. I even tried reading the second book but gave up after a few chapters. I'm not going to say the story sucked, but it certainly did not draw me in and I skip on the remainder from those authors. John Scalzi - Red Shirts is so popular. I only keep it in my Audible library because my sister likes it. Yep, the one that prefers hard science.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
One of my favorite authors, but I accept that any author and any book is not for everybody. In science fiction, I prefer action/adventure and my sister prefers hard science, so we rarely have books in common in that genre (how can she hate Heinlein?).

For me, Gone Girl was a complete slog of depression. Same thing with Girl with Dragon Tattoo. I even tried reading the second book but gave up after a few chapters. I'm not going to say the story sucked, but it certainly did not draw me in and I skip on the remainder from those authors. John Scalzi - Red Shirts is so popular. I only keep it in my Audible library because my sister likes it. Yep, the one that prefers hard science.
I liked Red Shirt, if only for the concept. Scalzi is one of those authors where I usually like the ideas more than the actual writing. I enjoy the books, but they are mostly a one shot deal for me. Still, like they say, different strokes for different folks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote