Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
FW 2.5.2 Features, bugs, fixes

Could someone who installed FW 2.5.2 please tell me about the new features (yes, I've read about the book title), new bugs and bugfixes, if any?
Thanks!
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urdu View Post
Could someone who installed FW 2.5.2 please tell me about the new features (yes, I've read about the book title), new bugs and bugfixes, if any?
Thanks!
2 dictionary fixes were mentioned already
1) japanese dictionary now uses a reasonable font size again (it was incredibly small for 1 or 2 firmware versions)
2) when looking up a word, you can now press the back arrow to edit what you are looking up (this was only broken for 1 or 2 firmware versions, worked fine before that)

I have a feeling someone else mentioned another fix, but it doesn't come to mind at the moment.

No new features. There's no release notes which is pretty much a sure sign of that.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In Bookstore search, the BUY button now shows the price on the button. (Bookstore browse always showed the price, but it had been missing from Bookstore search since 2.1.5 or earlier)

The blank icon on the justification button in font settings is fixed. (Was OK in 2.4.0, blank in 2.5.0 or 2.5.1)

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-12-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: clarify age of bugs
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
I'm adding also solved bugs to the Bugs thread, so inform me if there are other ones
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
By the way, also the "cut dictionary" bug was fixed:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...21#post2495832
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks!
Bugs? Sideloaded books on a uSD card do not get covers. 2.5.1 generated poor quality covers, 2.5.2 skips generating them. Sleep or power off gets you a text screen.

Features? Those I am not sure about. When I first purchased my Aura, it updated to 2.5.1 and very shortly to 2.5.2 so I never had the time to get familiar with any feature changes.

If you use Calibre to manage your sideloaded books, you can have Calibre generate the covers in a decent resolution and avoid the issue altogether.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
2.5.2 takes away screen space by having a title bar at the top of your ePub and nothing you can do to fix that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
2.5.2 takes away screen space by having a title bar at the top of your ePub and nothing you can do to fix that.
Please do not stir the pot by getting more pointless discussions going on this one.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I'm glad to find this thread. This is precisely what I wanted to know but couldn't find on the other thread. I'll now update my aura and glo.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Please do not stir the pot by getting more pointless discussions going on this one.
It's not pointless. It's the reason I'm not buying an Aura.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
But the added title was mentioned by the OP, so your post did not add any information to the thread.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But the added title was mentioned by the OP, so your post did not add any information to the thread.
I added that for some, it's a deal-breaker.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
Thank you all for the info on this update!
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #14
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
y
Quote:
Title bar on every page is great feature for me. When someone asks what book I'm reading it is always at top of screen prevents needles straining my memory. Fewer lines of text on each page increases chance I will finish page before dozing off. Quit trying to eliminate this great feature. Option to turn title bar off is acceptable that way I don't have to remember how to enable this fantastic feature.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Quote:
I added that for some, it's a deal-breaker.
Perhaps I am having reading comprehension issues. However, as I read Urdu's original message, he had read about the boot title kerfluffle. You simply regurgitated the "it takes away screen space" mantra.

In a reply, it was suggested that since the title item had already been mentioned, repeating it was pointless. You then claimed that was your reason for not buying an Aura. Is it correct that you believe that a later post changes your original post? Just where in that original message of yours was there even a hint that "for some, it's a deal-breaker". Or are we to believe that it was "implicit" in your original post?

“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” Charles Dodgson

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote