Notices

Old 10-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Malder1
Connoisseur
Malder1 began at the beginning.

Solving problem with noise

Probably you seen topic "ILiad is making noise!" on iRex forum:
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=481

I also found this problem and I took old sound cable and did stub. I has sawed metallic jackplug and filled *external* side with white varnish and it looks very well. Jackplug should be metallic inside, but external side which you see on the photo should be electrically isolated (e.g. white varnish).

Please look on attached photos.

No noise any more.

And probably it will increase time of batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AntiSpeakerNoise_iLiad.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1822  
Attached Images

Last edited by Malder1; 10-15-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Malder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nice.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
My old Sony notebook had the same issue. Any idea what is causing the static noises even when no program is using audio? Bad system programming or faulty hardware?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:37 AM   #4
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Could you measure the increase in battery life? Test with and without the plug?

Otherwise, I mean I am not very familiar with electronics, but maybe still some circuitry related to audio is under power that could be turned off completely via software. So I am waiting for the solution from IRex.

The hissing noise is definitely a weakness of the hardware - probably cheap audio chip, should not be found in a device that claims ability to play mp3. But this is not something that you would not found on other devices as well (like laptops). It also can be a result of that the volume is on maximum (there is no possibility yet to turn up or down the volume on the Iliad). If I assume that the volume is on the maximum then the noise is though higher than I would be happy with - is at a bareable level.

On the other hand, the question if you can turn the audio off completely - can be a programming issue or hardware design issue. We will find out if they can not solve with future updates.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote