Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #31
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J Hunt View Post
Hello, Elfwreck,

I appreciate the tremendous trouble you have gone to in order to educate me. I still haven't decided whether I should invest in an e-reader, but I shall look at the choices available and re-visit your comments.
It's no trouble at all; I'm obsessed, and any excuse to throw info at a stranger is one less lecture my husband has to listen to. And replying helps me sort out the facts and my opinions; if you get anything out of it, that's a nice bonus.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I always thought I was the sort of person who "loves books". I could spend hours in second-hand bookshops, was always was thrilled when I got book tokens as gifts because I could indulge in buying a stack of books that I couldn't justify splurging cash on and just liked to have books around. A couple of months ago I got my first ebook reader and, whilst I still like second-hand bookshops I reckon there is as much pleasure to be gained from a well-formatted ebook as there is from most pbooks.

It makes me wonder how many book aficionados would really enjoy the transition to ebooks if they just tried it.
Books are about the writing. I, too, love book stores and my home library is filled with books. And I still buy hard books when I find one I'd like to keep around. That said, ebooks have enabled me to read much more often than I did before. I can carry a library of books when I travel and always have the next one ready to go. If I have 15 minutes here or there, I always have a book on my phone. I listen to audio books in my car and when working in the yard or around the house. It makes no difference to me if the words are printed on paper or a screen, great writing is great writing.
tamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #33
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I own a book that was published/printed in the 1850s and it smells like dust, basically.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #34
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
The pleasure of the smell or feel or whatever of a print book is associational. We love these things because they have a pleasant association in our minds with being swept away by books, with the joy of READING.

Ereaders can still give us this joy. It just takes a little time to rearrange our neural nets to appreciate them.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #35
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I can appreciate the textural and visual pleasure of books, but have never been drawn to the smell. Growing up in the tropics, I found the smell of old books actually turned me off (partly associated with damp and creepy crawlies).

Reading to me is mostly about the writing, the stories, though. I don't mind giving up the textural and visual enjoyment much, but there are practical uses for print books where I find e-books fall way short. Not being able to easily flip through books and compare two or more books is a big drawback, for instance. Even with a Kindle and an iPad, this isn't anywhere near as convenient. (I read a lot of nonfiction; this probably comes up less with fiction.)

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-02-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #36
TheOn3LeftBehind
Bitter Witch
TheOn3LeftBehind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I just like the feel of a physical library. Especially one like in Beauty and the Beast. I *will* have a huge library whence I'm out of college.
TheOn3LeftBehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #37
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Wait until you move a few times. Those physical books lose a lot of their appeal when you're shlepping boxes of them up three flights of stairs.

Some books need to be printed and are worth the investment, but most of what I read doesn't need the deluxe treatment. For these, an ereader is perfect.

Luckily, you don't have to choose one or the other...you can choose both!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #38
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Wait until you move a few times. Those physical books lose a lot of their appeal when you're shlepping boxes of them up three flights of stairs.
Oh, my achin' back!
I'm going through that drill right now and wondering how I ended up with 60 cu ft worth of dead tree pulp. (New place will have a library and I hope it'll look cool but for now...)

A lot of fun times in those boxes but none of them seems to smell particularly good.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #39
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Reading to me is mostly about the writing, the stories, though. I don't mind giving up the textural and visual enjoyment much, but there are practical uses for print books where I find e-books fall way short.
I have yet to use my ebook reader to kill a spider or cockroach, though I suspect that will be remedied in the future when more screens will have plastic backplanes...if I bother to buy one.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #40
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
It's a silly article.

People who love the smell of books might be confusing their sense memory with their love of books. But I don't REALLY think its all that common a position.

I mean how many people still buy hardcover books with leather bindings? THAT'S where the smell thing originated. People who think that some 20 year old ratty paperback smells like a vintage leather bound volume aren't operating with a full deck anyway.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #41
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I'm glad someone started this thread, because one of the things that bugs me about the whole 'smell of books' argument is that a lot of the time what people are really smelling - particularly in terms of old or second-hand books- is rotting paper. You're smelling the long, slow death of your book as it slowly turns yellow and crumbles - a fate which, assuming you're not allergic to occasional backups, your digital text (okay, assuming it's multiformat or has been de-drmed) will never suffer.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #42
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
The books that smell like old books are the ones I avoid buying.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #43
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
It's a silly article.

People who love the smell of books might be confusing their sense memory with their love of books. But I don't REALLY think its all that common a position.
I hear it all the time when I talk about my Kindle. "But I love the smell of REAL books!" etc.

There are more people in the book sniffing crowd than you'd think
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #44
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I remain baffled by this. Truly, truly baffled.

To me books are all about the content. I buy them, I open them to page 1 and start reading. When I get to the end I put it on a bookshelf or take it off to a second-hand bookstore.

The fate of the book after I'm finished totally depends on the content. Was it good? Was it part of a series? Can I see myself reading it again?

I'm fairly convinced that people that say they find ereading somehow lacking have not really tried it on a good, dedicated ereader.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #45
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I have yet to use my ebook reader to kill a spider or cockroach, though I suspect that will be remedied in the future when more screens will have plastic backplanes...if I bother to buy one.
Lol. I hope you're joking. I've killed plenty of bugs, but not with books.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote