Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 07-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #31
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakovl View Post
Keep waiting for the t63...own a t61 and wanted to upgrade to the t62+ but with the t63 on the "way"...

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Could be a very long wait. It was supposed to be on the way last September when I posted that I was going to wait. I got a T62+ from Ebay
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #32
iakovl
Connoisseur
iakovl began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Could be a very long wait. It was supposed to be on the way last September when I posted that I was going to wait. I got a T62+ from Ebay
... well. ordered 62+ for 108$ worst case can always re-sell
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #33
plus
plus began at the beginning.

Device: k4nt, T63HD-JD
T63 is available, but only as a branded version. The T63HD-JD comes with a Chinese-only JD launcher app. No app-store, no adb, no language or timezone setting, no remount.
"Westerners" need to customize system.img to make it usable.
Spoiler:

* Backup NAND and single parts using RkAndroidTool
Code:
count@address
0x00002000@0x00002000(misc)
0x00004000@0x00004000(kernel)
0x00008000@0x00008000(boot)
0x00010000@0x00010000(recovery)
0x00020000@0x00020000(backup)
0x00040000@0x00040000(cache)
0x00200000@0x00080000(userdata)
0x00002000@0x00280000(kpanic)
0x00100000@0x00282000(system)
* Install TWRP using RkAndroid Tool
* Install SuperSu using TWRP
* Alter build.prop:
Code:
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=GB
persist.sys.language=en
persist.sys.country=GB
persist.sys.timezone=Europe/Paris
persist.service.adb.enable=1
persist.service.debuggable=1
persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage,adb
* Copy Settings*.apk, Settings*.odex, SystemUI.*, *IME*, HTML* from an Energy Sistem Pro HD Image's /system/app/ to yours
* Delete all fonts in /system/fonts/ and copy contents from Pro HD (Hyphenations)
* Same with dictionaries
* Install favourite launcher, RkApkinstaller and Button Savior, optional market, browser
* Factory reset
* Install reader app, filemanager, feedreader,... of choice

more or less...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160710_204415.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	150123
Mine's in German language now.

I bought it for the hardware specs, 146 €. It feels solid, have no long-time experience yet.

Last edited by plus; 07-10-2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added screenshot
plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #34
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus View Post
T63 is available, but only as a branded version. The T63HD-JD comes with a Chinese-only JD launcher app. No app-store, no adb, no language or timezone setting, no remount.
"Westerners" need to customize system.img to make it usable.
As someone who bought his last eReader through China's domestic TMall web-commerce portal four years ago (the same place the T63 is available now), I find this to be a very retrograde situation. It seems daft that somebody would go to the expense of going through vanilla Android and cutting out the multilingual aspects of it.

This is particularly strange, given that they had to have done the same unnecessary mutilation to produce a Korean-only version with the Ridibooks Paper. Talk about Balkanisation.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #35
mavek
mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
As someone who bought his last eReader through China's domestic TMall web-commerce portal four years ago (the same place the T63 is available now), I find this to be a very retrograde situation. It seems daft that somebody would go to the expense of going through vanilla Android and cutting out the multilingual aspects of it.

This is particularly strange, given that they had to have done the same unnecessary mutilation to produce a Korean-only version with the Ridibooks Paper. Talk about Balkanisation.

Launcher is only in chinese? Really?
Before launching an international version (aka the UK one) for Nook Touch was the same, only available in english, seems strange for me too but they want to keep them as close as they can.

3 years ago I got through all the hassle of importing because i wanted an android reader for mangas and rss, i can't do the same for a chinese launcher that needs to be replace with a generic one, I want a tidy and useful bookshelf this time.

Let's hope Energy realizes that for calling HD a reader must be at least 300ppi those days

PS. Would be possible copy the energy hd launcher to Jdread too? I think should be signed and so on, i'm not an android expert btw

Last edited by mavek; 07-10-2016 at 03:14 PM.
mavek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #36
plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavek View Post
PS. Would be possible copy the energy hd launcher to Jdread too? I think should be signed and so on, i'm not an android expert btw
I've tried CM9 Trebuchet, Nova and ADW. Most Android 4.2 launcher apps would probably run. As far as I remember, Pro HD's image contained a Launcher2.apk. Didn't test it.

Most launchers were not able to set a wallpaper, ADW's drawer can be configured to high contrast:

Name:	IMG_20160710_204415.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	150124

Last edited by plus; 07-10-2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo / android sdk version is the most common limit
Old 07-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #37
mavek
mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mavek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've tried CM9 Trebuchet, Nova and ADW. Most Android 4.2 launcher apps would probably run. As far as I remember, Pro HD's image contained a Launcher2.apk. Didn't test it.

Most launchers were not able to set a wallpaper, ADW's drawer can be configured to high contrast:
Attachment 150124
Thanks Plus, I don't mean to offend anyone but having a generic launcher on ereader it's demeaning to me, I've been already going through the nook touch, when you have hundreds of books it becomes pure crazyness.
Energy's launcher compatibility could be a possibility since both are boyue based on android 4.2
Old 07-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #38
plus

You can flash a T62D system.img, factory reset and get this:

Name:	IMG_20160711_030041.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	150140
Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #39
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavek View Post
Launcher is only in chinese? Really?
Before launching an international version (aka the UK one) for Nook Touch was the same, only available in english, seems strange for me too but they want to keep them as close as they can.
My understanding of the Nook was that the customisation of Android for it went beyond simply making monolingual. Is it reasonable to infer that the latter was a consequence of the former (easier to customise it in just one language, and lock out the others), rather than an end in itself?
Old 07-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #40
mavek

Quote:
Is it reasonable to infer that the latter was a consequence of the former (easier to customise it in just one language, and lock out the others), rather than an end in itself?
Dunno actually when they came out with the UK version, basically the same of US the localize it in four languages: french, spanish, german, and italian, could be a marketing issue also.

Anyway thanks to
Quote:
You can flash a T62D system.img, factory reset and get this:
Attachment 150140
Changing image in a much more understandable language is nothing but a good news
Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #41
5y2SB
5y2SB began at the beginning.

The Boyue T63 seems to have gone on sale for $180 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/JDRea...674343086.html, yet to me it is unclear whether the T63 has an audio jack or not. Some sites seem to suggest that it does while others contradict that statement.

Has anyone held the actual device in his hands? Is there also any news on that English UI?
5y2SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:23 AM   #42
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5y2SB View Post
The Boyue T63 seems to have gone on sale for $180 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/JDRea...674343086.html
This is US$50 more than Boyue's TMall shop is selling it for.

Quote:
Has anyone held the actual device in his hands? Is there also any news on that English UI?
I've written to the seller to ask them if this is a Chinese or Multilingual/International version.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #43
plus

I own one, built for the Chinese market. Mine has no audio jack, supports 128 GB cards and 802.11bgn channel 12+13.

My system was customized to include jingdong's username at the upper left. There were no language or timezone settings. I've tested stock JD-40, JD-44 and JD-48 so far.

TWRP recovery can be found here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275863

Starting from there, you can install SuperSU and replace system apps for i18n. Carta2 apps look better, but display brightness cannot be changed. It can be enabled in hwinfo, but has no effect anyway. I copied mine from an Ereader Pro HD image and got full hardware support, adb and otg (positively tested keyboard and mouse on a powered cable).
Old 07-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #44
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
I've written to the seller to ask them if this is a Chinese or Multilingual/International version.
I've gotten a reply back: "Support multiple languages"

Given all the evidence to the contrary however, I am taking this with a grain of salt.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:09 AM   #45
5y2SB
5y2SB began at the beginning.

I received a reply saying the JDRead does not have a headphone jack. When trying to build their first upmarket e-reader, why would they want to cut corners by not including an audio jack? Disappointing..

The T62+ is said to have an OK glowlight and an audio jack, however its screen is said to be extremely susceptible to scratching. The old version Energy Sistem ereader pro is said to be identical to the T62+, yet its screen is said to have performed poorly when compared against the T62 (plus?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4DdxlzobtQ. I believe the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2 is the only other 6" Android e-reader that comes with an audio jack and that has had good reviews.

Assuming I want an e-reader that comes with an audio jack, what should be my first preference?

Last edited by 5y2SB; 07-21-2016 at 03:12 AM.
5y2SB is offline   Reply With Quote