Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry Boot loop on Kobo Glo Hd? Sickel ??

Hi to one and all!

After recharging and restarting my Kobo Glo HD, it has gone into a kind of boot loop.

It starts up and then freezes, then after a minute or so it starts up again and freezes. I have tried a soft reboot with a paper-clip in the little hole at the bottom but this simply sets off the loop again. I have managed to turn the Kobo off but the loop starts again as soon as I turn it on again. I can't see any way to stop this loop so I can intervene on the Kobo in the hope of repairing the problem.

I cannot connect to my computer as the Kobo freezes before the connect command can be executed.

I have searched this forum and the internet and I read that there was, a couple of years ago, an issue called "sickel" which seems to ressemble my problem, but I can't find a way of solving this.

I am wondering if the source of this problem may not be an epub which I obtained by converting a Pdf document. My epub may be corrupt in some way.

I would much appreciate any help, including pointers to solutions which have already been found but which I cannot trace on this forum.

Thanks in advance,
Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
Rojofo
Zealot

So, at last, I found this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghlight=sickel

Can anyone confirm that a factory reset (erasing all the content on the Kobo! sniff!) is the only solution?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Likely a full factory reset is your best option at this point. Not a lot you can do if you can't even connect to your computer.
I would NOT add any content (other than whatever downloads automatically when you sync/update from the Kobo server) until you make sure it's working properly. That way if there happened to be some content that caused the problem it'll be easier to identify it.
There is always the possibility that the memory is failing on the device and it's losing parts of the firmware causing it to fail, but that's a rare problem.

Last edited by robko; 02-18-2018 at 10:17 AM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you do a factory reset and it is still not working, you can request the microSD card image in the appropriate thread and Davidfor will PM you a link. There are directions on how to install it on a microSD card. Also, when doing that, you could upgrade the size of the microSD card for even more storage. 8GB or 16GB would do fine. Then you can also have a second microSD card in case you might need it. Opening the Glo HD is said to be very easy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
Rojofo
Zealot

Smile update! and a part solution!

Thank you to Robko and JSWolf for their replies.

I spent a good many hours trying to find a work-around on this and have found a part solution which, I hope, may help other users with similar problems.

I discovered that if I press the menu icon (in the upper left hand corner of the start-up page) then the menu will open up and allow the user to choose "my articles". This has to be done very, very fast (in less than 2 seconds!!). If it is not done very fast, the boot loop will begin again.

Once the "my articles" menu opens, the Kobo works normally. The Pocket articles can be read and the Kobo can be connected to a computer. However, if I go back to the "book" menu, it will freeze again and go into loop mode!

After activating the "my articles" menu and by working around through other menus I was able to open other books (not the one I think is "corrupt") without any problem, even though I cannot open the whole of the "my books" menu as this will start up the loop mode again.

So I have managed to get the Kobo Glo HD working again but I cannot continue reading the corrupt book, of which I have already read about a hundred pages without problems.

So now I would like to learn how to make a non-corrupt version of this epub.

I will start another topic on that.

I hope this will help anyone who has this type of problem.

Best wishes to all,
Rojofo.

Tags
boot loop sickel glo hd