Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
ADE problems

So this problem started back in November and I've pulled whats left of my hair out trying to solve this. Everytime I try to start ADE, and I have version 4.5.7 installed currently, I get the "Adobe digital editions 4.5.7 has stopped working" error. I've tried various ways to start it, clicking on the shortcut, clicking directly on the program exe., trying to open an ACSM file and no luck. I've tried things I've found while searching the web such as deleting or renaming folders. I've tried various compatability modes, running as admin, I've uninstalled version 4 and tried versions 2 and 3 and neither of them even get that far. I click the exe, the screen blinks for a second and then nothing. I am completely out of clues and further searching on google and adobe's website has simply had me redoing the things I've already tried.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there another way to open the acsm files I get from overdrive? I have a Kobo and I use Calibre, do I need to unistall one or both of those programs to get it to work? I have windows 10 and no, I do not try to run ADE while my Kobo is connected or while the Kobo software or Calibre are running. I am at my wits end and have no idea what else to even try. I miss my library books and am going crazy not being able to download and read them as it appears ADE is the only way to get the acsm files to open and download the EPUB files.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire HD7 & 8, Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Could be that the program's corruption is preventing you from doing a complete uninstall and also messing up other installations. Suggest you try REVOUNINSTALLER (free version works very well) to remove all associated files with the uninstall process. Restart your computer after uninstalling, then download the latest ADE from the website and try again.

Revo is available here. I use Windows 10 Professional, by the way. Hope this helps!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
What you want to do is uninstall ADE 4.5.7. You don't want that version. What you want is ADE 2.0.1. ADE 4.5.7 might download ePub that has a new version DRM. You cannot remove the DRM or use the ePub on your Reader. Here is the link to ADE 2.0.1 from Adobe.

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/..._Installer.exe
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ADE 2.0.1 won't even start. As soon as I click on it a window appears and then just as quickly disappears.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:24 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Disable your anti-virus and try again. If that doesn't work, reboot into safe mode and see if that works. If safe mode works, then you'll have to disable everything you run on boot one-by-one and keep rebooting until you find what program is causing the problem.

I've never had ADE 2.0.1 fail to run. So my guess is it is something you run on your system.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie

Well, no luck, I've done what's been suggested here and no go. Don't know what my options are at this point. I take it there's no substitute for ADE?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
Well, no luck, I've done what's been suggested here and no go. Don't know what my options are at this point. I take it there's no substitute for ADE?
Have you tried safe mode with networking?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I believe I have a possible solution.

C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Adobe_Systems_Incorpo rate

Replace the XXXXX with your user directory.

Delete the file in that directory and try ADE 2.0.1 again. It should work.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie

Sorry, got to spend some quality time in the hospital so I haven't been around lately. Anyway, during recovery at home I reinstalled windows 10 on my machine as it's been having other issues as well and now ADE seems to be working. Thanks for the help there JSWolf and others.