Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xgody tablet, LG G3 (Android), moon+reader
delete from device

Simple question (I tried using the search facility but it came up with nothing).

When using Calibre to delete a book from my (android tablet) device, and it is the last book from a particular author, do I have the option of choosing to keep the empty folder to use later?

I ask because I regularly delete read books from the tablet, but then a week or three later want to download another by the same author to the tablet - it's very annoying finding the folder gone and having to recreate it.

I've trawled the options in calibre itself but if there is this option I must have missed it - help anyone??
rbruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Calibre will create a needed folder.
No Folder. No Books (by author)

Needed: is all about the Template you use

{author_sort}/{title} (I want my folders t o Alpha sort Ln,Fn )

Cherryh, C_J_/Visitor

If you download directly to your device, download to an 'Unsorted' folder, then have Calibre move them

D2D is not always a good idea. Some devices lock those away in storage that Calibre can't touch . Others us a differing format than the PC download would get YMMV
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2016, 03:08 AM   #3
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks theducks but that's not the question I was trying to ask!!

Most of my transfers to the tablet are direct and NOT via calibre - that comes later on my system (by upload from tablet once plugged in).

It seems calibre thinks an emptied folder on my device is an unwanted folder and gets rid of it: can I use a setting to prevent it??

And I've not got the hang of templates - when I DO use calibre to download it always puts the books in the base folder even if there is an author folder of the same name......
Old 05-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruce1314 View Post
Thanks theducks but that's not the question I was trying to ask!!

Most of my transfers to the tablet are direct and NOT via calibre - that comes later on my system (by upload from tablet once plugged in).

It seems calibre thinks an emptied folder on my device is an unwanted folder and gets rid of it: can I use a setting to prevent it??

And I've not got the hang of templates - when I DO use calibre to download it always puts the books in the base folder even if there is an author folder of the same name......
An empty folder on most Reader devices was waste file and Screen space. They were housecleaned when empty

Templates (the basic ones) are easy. What you see is what you get. Field names are listed on the device Configuration form.

There are Filesystem (safe) rules that Calibre follows. Punctuation gets transliterated. Those names may vary (invisibly) the most common is %20 for a space. They MUST be identical.

The 'Base folder' issue, might be rights to the existing (user manually created) folder. Run Calibre in Debug mode for transfers, you might see an error message near the problem author
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there is no such option, short of running from source and deleting the offending line of code
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
AFAIK calibre will automatically clean up the folders it empties, and you cannot tell it to stop doing so.

It usually isn't a problem, because if you can tether your device to delete the book using calibre, then you can likely tether your device to upload the new books as well.

On the topic of templates, you say you have a Send-to-Device template but calibre does not use that template when building the filename of a book you send to the tablet?
Can you double-check that the template is set in the device driver for your tablet -- I believe tablets always require the device-specific override.
See the attached screenshot for configuring the device driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-configure-device.png
Views:	100
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	148424  
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:51 AM   #7
rbruce1314
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, there is no such option, short of running from source and deleting the offending line of code
Thanks Kovid, short and unambiguous.