Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-21-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Blue Thursday

I would like to propose a new sales holiday.

I propose "Blue Thursday." It would fall on the day _after_ Christmas, each year.

Why blue? Because that's how you feel each year the day after Christmas, when it hits you just how much you've spent--and overspent, how many days you're going to have to work to pay for it all, and the interest on credit cards that will accrue--before you pay it all off (whatever happened to "Christmas _savings_ accounts"?). _Et al._

Since this sales holiday will always fall on the day after Christmas, it will become easy to remember. The day of the week will change each year, however. I've checked the calendar, and next year it will be "Blue Saturday". You won't need to circle the date on your calendar--being the day after Christmas, you'll automatically know the day of the week every year!

Whaddya think? Will people go for it? Personally, I predict that it will be a big hit, once people get used to it.

Remember: you heard it on MobileRead first.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-21-2019 at 12:52 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:14 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I would like to propose a new sales holiday.

I propose "Blue Thursday." It would fall on the day _after_ Christmas, each year.

Whaddya think? Will people go for it? Personally, I predict that it will be a big hit, once people get used to it.

Remember: you heard it on MobileRead first.
I'm betting retailers will find a way to cash in on that, too.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
My mom always went shopping right after the Christmas holidays and picked up leftover, discounted items like wrapping paper, etc. She also picked up a few bigger ticket items that were cheap and hid them away until next Christmas. Mom died nearly three decades ago, so people have been doing that “Blue Days After” shopping for a long time, at least 4 or 5 decades that I can remember. Nothing new here. The generation that grew up during the Great Depression invented that long before we were even around!
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Outside of the USA its already been done, they're known as Boxing Day Sales - which run from Dec 26 through Jan 1 or thereabouts. AFAIK Boxing Day Sales predate the Black Friday Sales by decades.

I loathe that phrase. Until fairly recently "Black Friday" in Australia referred to Jan 23, that being the day in 1939 when 71 people were killed in bushfires - which is currently most apposite. Now it refers to the day people are encouraged to buy unnecessary ware, with money created from thin air, to impress people who don't really care.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Outside of the USA its already been done, they're known as Boxing Day Sales - which run from Dec 26 through Jan 1 or thereabouts. AFAIK Boxing Day Sales predate the Black Friday Sales by decades.

BR
Yes, many decades. AFAIK, "Boxing Day" is a Commonwealth thing, a relic of Empire. It's a little surprising that the OP has never heard of Boxing Day, since they're in the US and it is both a public holiday and a big shopping day just north of the border.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I know from past posts that Gtrsrgr8 lives in the southern US. As a fellow Southerner I can say that although I am aware of Boxing Day it is not a common term around here. The first time I heard of it I mistakenly thought it had something to do with the sport of boxing

In the US, the 26th is typically the day people go to stores to return all the stuff they got for Christmas but didn't want/wrong size/etc.

Last edited by 4691mls; 12-22-2019 at 07:09 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:01 AM   #7
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I mean, sometimes this sort of thing happens before Christmas, I work at a grocery store and a lot of stuff that doesn't really expire that soon had markdown coupons on it.

Like, I saw some christmas baked goods (cookies? cupcakes?) with an expiration date well into January marked down today.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)

Methinks that it already has a theme song too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Yes, many decades. AFAIK, "Boxing Day" is a Commonwealth thing, a relic of Empire. It's a little surprising that the OP has never heard of Boxing Day, since they're in the US and it is both a public holiday and a big shopping day just north of the border.
Isn't Boxing Day the day when traditionally servants and their master's would switch places for the day?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:51 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Isn't Boxing Day the day when traditionally servants and their master's would switch places for the day?
I was taught that Boxing day stems from the Middle Ages. Feudal lords would handout the leftovers of the lavish Christmas lunch/dinner/supper prepared by their villeins for the previous day. The leftovers were placed in raffia 'boxes' made by the lord's women-folk.

Switching places sounds like an aristocratic myth to me, unless it's a reference to the short lived Peasant's Revolt - when blood-letting would have preceded any swapping

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:02 AM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Snopes has a very good summary of the various origin theories, all disputed:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/boxing-day/
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote