Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kindle Paperwhite 4 vs Voyage

Hi all
I recently got a Voyage, but my GF really needs an update also and my question is..
The sales right now have triggered the upgrade talk for us

How similar to the Voyage is the latest Paperwhite in terms of screen quality?

It seems like, specs wise, other than the PagePress sensors (she doesn't care about that either way), it's basically an updated Voyage.

But - curious what you all here think?

Anyone have both side by side?
Is the screen basically the same?

Any/all commentary is most helpful and very much appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by bookyboy; 11-22-2019 at 11:11 AM.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I couldn’t tell the difference in screen quality :/
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
I couldn’t tell the difference in screen quality :/
Interesting - did you happen to have them side by side?

I'm combing through PW4 reviews that mention the Voyage and it's very much a mixed bag on the screen comparison discussion...I don't know what to make of it.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
There have been several PW4 vs Voyage comparison threads. This is one of them.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314810
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There have been several PW4 vs Voyage comparison threads. This is one of them.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314810
Thank you
Old 11-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Interesting - did you happen to have them side by side?

I'm combing through PW4 reviews that mention the Voyage and it's very much a mixed bag on the screen comparison discussion...I don't know what to make of it.
People see the same thing differently.

There are screen differences within the same model. Sometimes the differences within a model are larger than the differences between models.

I suspect that if you are struck by the Voyage screen compared to other e-ink readers, the PW4 won't look as good.

Your girlfriend should try to see a PW4 and decide whether it is good enough.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
People see the same thing differently.

There are screen differences within the same model. Sometimes the differences within a model are larger than the differences between models.

I suspect that if you are struck by the Voyage screen compared to other e-ink readers, the PW4 won't look as good.

Your girlfriend should try to see a PW4 and decide whether it is good enough.
I'm trying to surprise her with it ultimately, but thank you - you're likely right on the "demo" being needed.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have both; the Voyage display looks significantly better, and front light adjusts to ambient lighting, which is also a plus. The page turn buttons are nice to have, as it is easier to keep fingerprints off the reading area.

That said, the Paperwhite has more storage (more than 2x as much) and is waterproof, and you can get one for under $100 during sales. It also has Bluetooth which is nice if you want to use VoiceView or listen to audiobooks. I rarely use either of those features and suspect that’s the case for most Paperwhite owners. It also has ‘Invert Black and White’, which I like to use for some reason (but probably most people would not).

Overall, I’d just go with PW4, just because it is newer and more likely to last longer (battery etc), and the things that are better about the Voyage are probably not going to be important to most people.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #9
bookyboy
Addict

@tomsem

Thank you for that - very helpful for sure..
Old 11-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My sister bought the paperwhite and we compared the two with my Voyages. Voyage has better contrast and sharper image. However, Voyage is now 'old' and you would be happy with either one.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #11
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Although I'm one who prefers the Voyage for its clarity and contrast, it would be hard to find a new Voyage to buy at this point. The PW4 has a better price point and most people are very happy with it.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolja View Post
Although I'm one who prefers the Voyage for its clarity and contrast, it would be hard to find a new Voyage to buy at this point. The PW4 has a better price point and most people are very happy with it.
The price point is very good — at least in the United States — right now ($85 on sale).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Voyage and I have 2 of the new Paperwhites. When I put them all side by side they all look different. Even the 2 Paperwhites look different than each other. But it's hard to say any looks better. When I read on them they all look perfect.

I wasn't really very happy with the Voyage because for some reason I was always touching the screen by mistake and turning the page when I didn't mean to. It happened a lot. I bought the first new Paperwhite before I realized it also had a flush screen. I'm not sure I'd have gotten one if I knew. But that doesn't happen on the Paperwhite for some reason. I guess I hold them differently.

It's not really true that the new Paperwhite is just an updated Voyage because it's bigger and the thing I liked best about the Voyage was that it was smaller in my hand. It was a bit more comfortable to hold. All in all though, I prefer the new Paperwhite.

I never used the extra features in the Voyage, the page press and self-adjusting light. I kept those both turned off.

I think, though, that if I was buying one I'd much rather have the newer unit because it's battery is newer. A voyage will have a battery at least 2 years old already and the typical battery life is 5 or 6 years. After that you just don't know when it'll get weak.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

I have 2 new paper whites and a recently purchased refurbished Voyage. I dont notice any difference between screens when I switch between them. The PW sale price is a good deal. So is a refurbished Voyage at $99. If woot ever has them for $69 again don't hesitate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #15
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I wasn't really very happy with the Voyage because for some reason I was always touching the screen by mistake and turning the page when I didn't mean to. It happened a lot.

Barry
Barry, I have to say that I completely agree with this after a few days of using the Voyage for the first time ever.

It is totally maddening that there is no software option to disable page turns from touching the screen.