Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
brian sanderson

Going to try Brian sanderson's writing. What's his best book? I was thing of Way of
Kings.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The Way of Kings is the first of a 10 book series.....you will still be waiting on books 3-10.

I would recommend starting with the first Mistborn trilogy. It starts with Mistborn: The Final Empire.

If you want a stand-alone, Elantris or Warbreaker.

Not sure if it was a typo, but its Brandon Sanderson.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Depends on what you want, for epic fantasy, I would start with Mistborn: The Final Empire like mewmartigan said. The Way of Kings is very good but only 2 are complete and they are VERY long. I personally didn't enjoy Warbreaker as much as the others but it is free on his website.

If you like YA books the Steelheart/Firefight/Calamity (Reckoners series) books are good.

He has a science fiction short story on Tor's website as well, Firstborn, unfortunately he doesn't have any other space opera / far future science fiction out yet.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there any time frame for The third of Way of Kings? Haas Sanderson said what he is working on?
Old 03-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Brandon Sanderson is very good at saying what he is working on -- see this year's State of the Sanderson address: http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of...anderson-2015/

Quote:
The Stormlight Archive

Stormlight is going very well. I’m working on Book Three, which I’m calling Oathbringer. (That is likely at this point to be the final title.) This is my main project, and I won’t be writing any new prose on other stories until it is done. You can follow the progress bars!

Release dates for this book are still in flux. Even if I finish it early next year, it could be a year or more until you see the book. The amount of editing, continuity, and art that these books require creates a need for a long lead time. I’ve told people that Fall 2016 is the earliest they’d see it, but my team has been warning me that’s not realistic. We’ll see, but for now you should assume on a 2017 release.

What does this mean for my once optimistic “one Stormlight book every eighteen months” goal? The more I work on these books, the more uncertain I am about that. The outline for Oathbringer, for example, took about a year for me to nail down. Considering how many moving pieces there are in these books, it’s tough to judge how long they will take to write. And while there are books I can force through if some things aren’t right, I can’t afford to do that on this series.

I’ll continue to write Stormlight books at as quick a pace as is reasonable. I consider this my main project for the next decade or two, and am dedicated to it. But each book, as I’ve said before, is plotted as four books in one. So even if I release them once every three years, you’re getting four “books” in three years.

We’ll see. I’ll try to pick up the pace. In the meantime, I’ll try to get some short stories in the world out for you. (More on this later.)

As per the status bars, the first draft is currently 44% done.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-27-2016 at 02:00 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard

So mistborn and stormlight are Briaan Sanderson's best book series. That would explain why Way of Kings has a waiting list of 10 people at the Washington DC library when I lastt looked.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Brandon Sanderson by the way.

And I don't know about best, just most popular/well known. I enjoyed the Reckoners series as much as the first Mistborn series it is just a different genre.

Last edited by Dazrin; 03-27-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I enjoyed all of his books just as much, you cannot make me choose between them.

Anyway, most of them are part of the same meta-series.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard

I googled metaseries and I understand now however I have another question whaich series are part of the metaseries and in what order?

Last edited by jbcohen; 03-28-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
Dazrin
Wizard

Rule of thumb would be that anything set in our world or similar is not in his "Cosmere" meta-series and anything in a world/setting he created is probably a part of the Cosmere.

Here is the decription from The Coppermind wiki - I have edited out part of this that might be a small spoiler.
Spoiler:
Quote:
The cosmere[1] is a fictional universe where Brandon Sanderson's adult epic fantasies (including Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, and the The Stormlight Archive) are all set.[2] It does not contain Earth.[3]

Brandon has said that you do not need any Cosmere knowledge to understand the books, and that they can be enjoyed separately, but it will be necessary eventually to have a certain understanding of Realmatic Theory.[4][5] Elements of the cosmere are slowly being added into the books....

The Reckoners, Legion, and Alcatraz are not in the Cosmere. I doubt the Rithmatist is either.

The Stormlight Archive (Way of Kings), Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker are all part of the Cosmere. I think at this point you can read them in any order as long as you read the individual series in order. That might change later on as he gets deeper into the Stormlight Archive.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard

Since Way of Kings is so popular I take it to mean it's a really great book. Or am I wrong?

Last edited by jbcohen; 03-29-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I didn't like Mistborn.

Branderson did do a fair job with the last of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It wasn't on a par with Jordan's best work, but it did line up with some of Jordan's not so great work which is quite good relative to most authors.

Last edited by frahse; 03-31-2016 at 09:34 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I didn't like Mistborn.

Branderson did do a fair job with the last of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It wasn't on a par with Jordan's best work, but it did line up with some of Jordan's not so great work which is quite good relative to most authors.
I absolutely loved the Mistborn trilogy. Just shows that different books appeal to different people.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #14
Chaiwala
Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
His best written story is Emperor's Soul and his best big epic novel is The Way of Kings imho.
Chaiwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 AM   #15
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
I really wanted to dislike Mistborn, but I really really like it, especially his magic system

Stormlight archive is fantastic
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote