Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
capslock
capslock began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Calibre 'Sync' Questions

I use Calibre to manage my PDF library for my Sony PRS-650.

1) Does the location of my PDFs matter? If I move some PDFs from one directory to another on my computer, will it affect their connection to the Calibre library? Relatedly, if I rename PDFs on my computer, is it necessary to re-add them to the Calibre library?

2) If I want to add a lot of PDFs to my device, but I do not want to edit the metadata for all of them immediately: can I add these files to my library, send them to my device, edit their metadata at a later time, and have these changes register on my device (without having to remove the copies on the device and replacing them with the edited versions)? I understand Calibre has no Sync function, so I would like to know if I can do something like this without removing and replacing the relevant files.

3) Is there a feature that would allow me to rename a PDF (and edit metadata) in Calibre and have it apply the changes to the source PDF? In other words, if I changed the title of the PDF and edited stuff like author information in Calibre, can I save myself the trouble of doing it over on my computer separately? This would save a lot of time if I found myself having to re-add files to my Calibre library: editing unappealing data, like files with author 'rANDOM aUTHOR' (I'm sure I can reverse such issues, but the solution is still desirable as some PDFs might misspell the author's name, for instance).

4) Can I configure Calibre to use as 'title' the name of the source PDF, rather than using the metadata?

EDIT: I have edited my initial post to organize my questions.

Last edited by capslock; 11-19-2010 at 08:31 PM.
capslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock View Post
1) Does the location of my PDFs matter? If I move some PDFs from one directory to another on my computer, will it affect their connection to the Calibre library? Relatedly, if I rename PDFs on my computer, is it necessary to re-add them to the Calibre library?
You can do whatever you want with your original source files but do not directly mess with the files inside calibre's library/database.

Quote:
I would like to know if I can do something like this without removing and replacing the relevant files.
As I read it for any Sony ereader if, under Preferences - Sending books to devices, you have Metadata Management set to Automatic Management then the metadata between calibre and your device should be sync'd every time you connect your device to calibre.

Quote:
3) Is there a feature that would allow me to rename a PDF (and edit metadata) in Calibre and have it apply the changes to the source PDF? In other words, if I changed the title of the PDF and edited stuff like author information in Calibre, can I save myself the trouble of doing it over on my computer separately?
You can use the save to disk feature and save any file from calibre to disk. Also using the save template under Saving books to disk you can control the structure of the file name as it is saved. Of course other than for use as a backup I'm not sure why you would want to do this.

Quote:
4) Can I configure Calibre to use as 'title' the name of the source PDF, rather than using the metadata?
Yes, go to Preference - Adding books and uncheck Read metadata from file contents rather than filename. Then setup the regex on the same preference page to parse your existing filenames.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert