Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #1
RhD97
Connoisseur
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Battery draining quicker than usual - new kindle

So, my kindle 8th generation is less than a year old, and it's battery used to take a long time before dropping down to 20% (which is when I charge it). However, after my last charge, it has dropped quicker than usual. I'm reading for about an hour nonstop and I find it going down about 5%. I don't know if it's normal. I hadnt used my kindle for a while (however I never forgot to charge it when it reached 20%, because I was always taking care of it) and I can't remember if that was normal to happen. The device is updated, so much so that when I try to manually update it, it says there's no new updates. I have performed a soft reset but it keeps the same way. Oh, but now I'm highlighting lots of parts of the book, and I wonder if this might have an effect in the battery, whether for storage-related reasons or whatever might be the case. I wonder if it's normal for the battery to drop 5% in about an hour read. My kindle 8th generation is only 8 or 9 months old. PS: it's always on Air-Plane mode. Thank you in advance

Last edited by RhD97; 10-26-2019 at 10:21 PM.
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:57 PM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Have you recently uploaded a new book? Probably it has indexing issues, or indexing hasn’t finished yet.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
RhD97
Connoisseur

I have. But it has started acting like that after charging it, a few days after downloading the book. And I have synchronized the book sometimes because of my highlights so I suppose if that was the case it would have already been finished. But I'm not sure
Old 10-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #4
RhD97
Connoisseur

It's all perfectly synchronized
Old 10-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If a soft reboot isn't fixing it, you can try resetting the device altogether - maybe something got messed up when the last update installed... this will mean you have to re-download everything onto your kindle, so back everything up so that you can put it back on the device. (it could be that highlighting a lot of stuff page after page runs the battery down - changing what's displayed on the screen is probably the highest drain for the device during normal use - but if that hasn't changed a ton, then as annoying as it is, a reset might be worth trying)
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
RhD97
Connoisseur

Well I do change screens a lot. But I've been thinking. Amazon says the 8th Generation provides 15h of reading if you spend 30min a day. Thats about 3.3% of discharge a day. If I spend an hour, it's twice as much, which would be around 6%. Isnt that so?
Old 10-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhD97 View Post
Well I do change screens a lot. But I've been thinking. Amazon says the 8th Generation provides 15h of reading if you spend 30min a day. Thats about 3.3% of discharge a day. If I spend an hour, it's twice as much, which would be around 6%. Isnt that so?
My Kindle 8th Generation seems to have the least battery life than any other Kindle I've used. But I think it's been pretty much that way from the beginning.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:07 PM   #8
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
My Kindle 8th Generation seems to have the least battery life than any other Kindle I've used. But I think it's been pretty much that way from the beginning.
Yh, like if I keep it untouched it might last up to 5 weeks. But if I constantly use it for like 30min (like in the past), it lasts about a month. Now that I'm being sucked in by a book, I'm reading up to 60min a day, which is why I'm wondering about the baterry dropping.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@RhD97 do you have the latest firmware installed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@RhD97 do you have the latest firmware installed?
You mean the latest update? Apparently, yes.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mean the latest update? Apparently, yes.
Check to see if you have 5.12.2. If not, then you can do a manual install.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
Its 5.12.1.. how can I update it?
Old 10-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #13
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
I found the tutorial online. Im trying it
Old 10-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I found the tutorial online. Im trying it
I hope this solves your battery issue.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #15
studynet
Enthusiast
studynet began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 10th
Something similar happened to me. In my case my kindle is the paperwhite 2019 10th and I bought it in January.
I advise you to connect the kindle online and try calling the technical service they can access your kindle and see the status.
Something similar has happened to me, in my case without using just suspend and turn on a bit without reading just letting it be suspended already consumed 1%.
I called amazon and apparently they can access the kindle and review it internally and they replied that it was defective and they have sent me a new one, this week it comes to me.
Anyway I am very angry that I am reading and the kindle is suspended all the time in my case there is no way to make it not be suspended. I have already called amazon asking that I can choose and time when it has to be suspended but I don't know why they did it that way.
studynet is offline   Reply With Quote