Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Tablets?

I'm thinking of buying myself a tablet, to celebrate my new job. I'd been leaning toward the Nexus, but it doesn't have any way to get stuff on to it other than the Cloud or via usb-connection to your computer. I'd like a tablet that I can hook up a memory stick to, or something like that.

Are there any tablets with usb ports?

Mind you, I'm not sure what I'd use one for, since I don't play games or watch videos... mostly I just think that they're ooohhh, shiny.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've never heard of a tablet that can host a USB device. They mostly act as USB devices themselves.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Yes, Nexus 7 can do host via USB otg cable. The 16 gb is enough, plus if you have a portable hdd or a flash drive you can always connect them with the otg cable. You might also consider Samsung Tab and note, Motorola xoom, and the new Ipad mini(when will be released). There are also rumours that new Nexus devices will be added.
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Acer iconia A200 has a USB host port. I assume some other iconia models do too, if not all of them. I've used mine with USB sticks and an external hard drive. No extra cable or adapter needed. Also has a microsd slot that takes at least up to 32gb card. (That's what I've got in it. It might take larger but I don't know.)

That host port was one of the main reasons I bought it, and I've discovered it's even more useful than I anticipated. I can hook my DSLR camera right to the tablet and process RAW files on the go.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashan View Post
Yes, Nexus 7 can do host via USB otg cable.
Not "out of the box", it can't. Many other tablets can (the Galaxy Tab range, for example), but not the Nexus.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
daveps
daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
You can also transfer stuff over Wifi to the Nexus from your PC if you cannot be bothered to connect up via USB. Technically speaking HarryT is correct however it is possible to use an OTG cable and USB stick and an app from the Play Store to copy over files WITHOUT rooting it.
daveps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Tablets are great for fast reference. Watching a documentary want to look something up? Grab you tablet and and start surfing.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Many of the larger tablets (9" and up) have full size usb ports that act as hosts and a mini or micro usb that's slave only. If you see a full size usb port listed, you are pretty much safe to assume it's a host port (please check though!). If it's mini only, you'll need to check the specs for On the Go capabilty, and get an adapter.

Ooohhh shiney! is a good enough reason.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote