Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Shopping again

As usual as older devices die or get shuffled around Im now looking for a new reader.
Currently have an Aura One and a Glo. Both are getting handed down to other readers in the family and I will be getting one for myself.
I notice there is both an Auora One Limited edition now as well as the Forma. My only concern is the larger screen size. When you are approaching the size of an Ipad then I end up lugging around more devices and cables that I care to. No not debating tablets vs readers. I much prefer to read on my kobo.
In the past Ive been content with the 6" screen and traveled with my glo more than my Aura One.
So I said all that to ask are you enjoying your Forma for those that upgrade or do you miss the smaller foot print of your previous reader?

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
rosalita
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I love the Forma's larger screen size and the physical page-turn buttons, and especially the Overdrive integration as the majority of my ebooks are library borrows. However, I have the luxury of still having a Glo HD in excellent condition, and I have continued to use that as my "travel" ereader, only using the Forma at home. The sync of reading position between the two is not perfect but works well enough.

Having said that, my impression of the Forma's size and footprint is that I would still find it portable enough to use as my only ereader should something happen to my Glo HD, as it would fit comfortably into the smallish purse I now use. I might feel differently if I had to carry it in a pocket, though.
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
maximus83
Addict
maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, PW4, Android
Similar to @rosalita, I have a Forma and a smaller reader (a PW4) that is more for carrying around. I prefer reading on the bigger, nicer Forma screen whenever I have the option. It's not just the size, the lighting is better too because Forma has the natural lighting feature.

The question is not whether you'd prefer the Forma screen over a 6", I bet you would. The question is more like, is it worth ~$280 to you for that modest upgrade in the reading experience? And that's just for the 8GB version, the 32GB is another $50. For me it was. A lot of people though have a limit of how much they're willing to spend on a dedicated e-ink device, when you can get Android tablets for less.
maximus83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Similar to @rosalita, I have a Forma and a smaller reader (a PW4) that is more for carrying around. I prefer reading on the bigger, nicer Forma screen whenever I have the option. It's not just the size, the lighting is better too because Forma has the natural lighting feature.

The question is not whether you'd prefer the Forma screen over a 6", I bet you would. The question is more like, is it worth ~$280 to you for that modest upgrade in the reading experience? And that's just for the 8GB version, the 32GB is another $50. For me it was. A lot of people though have a limit of how much they're willing to spend on a dedicated e-ink device, when you can get Android tablets for less.
Well I don’t know that I would need the extra space, that being said I’m assuming you can’t add an SD card to the Forma?

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I think you just need to ask yourself more about your particular situation and preference. It sounds like you take your reader with you quite often. In that case, will carrying the larger Forma be a hassle? Or at times even impossible?

I purposely avoid the larger screens. I do read at home a lot, but I take my reader with me every time I leave the house, even if just to the grocery store now. The time my car broke down and I had to wait 3 hours for the tow truck it saved my sanity. I would have been going out of my mind sitting and doing nothing for 3 hours, instead it was very enjoyable on a nice summer day. At least until the tow truck driver insisted on talking on the drive back!

So for me, the portability is much more important than a larger screen, and I don't care for physical page buttons. That's what you need to figure out for yourself, what's most important to your situation.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #6
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
I travel a lot with KA1 and see no difficulties/issues. it is heavier than forma a bit, yes, but smaller, and i don't care for physical buttons. it fits well into my handbag but i think forma won't. although i don't carry e-reader with me when i go shopping. so in this time i don't have need for the forma.
i have also Kobo aura HD as "smaller device". Imho 6" is a way too small, and i will never read on it again.

Last edited by forster01; 02-26-2019 at 05:50 PM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote