Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2023, 03:58 PM   #1
lee.hauser
lee.hauser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
eBook management between devices

I'm a recent (and happy) convert from Kindle to Kobo Libra 2. I came over to Kobo with a vast number of books from which I'd removed Kindle DRM. These work fine on my Kobo.

Though my Kobo is the center of my ereading universe, it's not the whole thing. I also read on my iPhone and iPad. These don't sync progress between devices like the Kindle did; only my few Kobo bookstore purchases do that. I also don't believe there's a way of importing random books into the Kobo Reader app, from which books sync progress just fine.

My question is, how do others manage this? If I read on my Kobo, is there a trick others here have developed to figure out where you left off so you can pick up the book in, say, Apple Books? Or do I just have to try to remember where I left off by memorizing the chapter number (something that seems harder to do as I age)?

As a bonus question, I also read library books via Overdrive, and don't seem to have consistent results syncing progress on these, either, even if I hit the sync button. Only once do I remember seeing a banner on my Kobo saying Overdrive was syncing my book, after reading it in Libby on my iPad for a while.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
lee.hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:02 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You can't sync progress between sideloaded books on a Kobo. As for me, yes, I usually remember where I left off (I switch between my two Kobos regularly). But then, I did the same when I used Kindles; I never used the whispersync. Finding my place manually was faster than switching wifi on and syncing. So it's always been habitual for me.

Some people just read different books on different devices.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2023, 05:05 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I'm not mistaken, KOReader offers the ability to sync progress, so you could switch to using that on all your devices. Beyond that, you either have to remember where you were or read different books on different devices, as Sirtel said.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:27 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If I'm not mistaken, KOReader offers the ability to sync progress, so you could switch to using that on all your devices. Beyond that, you either have to remember where you were or read different books on different devices, as Sirtel said.
Can KOReader even be installed on Apple devices?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 06:05 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess not.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5886

I tend to think of all mobile platforms as the same, since I don't generally use them.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert