Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
GVC2031
Enthusiast
GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina
Dictionary Issue

My wife and I have recently started using the kobo ios app instead of our ereaders. She uses the ipad mini retina (ios 7.1.1) with kobo version 7.2.1. I use the ipad air (ios 7.1.1 and kobo 7.2.1).

I have no trouble at all accessing the dictionary for definitions. I long tap a word and the definition pops up, along with the option to access additional information from Wikipedia and Google as well as a fuller view of the definition.

When she looks for a definition, she must press the 'define' button before anything happens. Invariably, no definition is found but some scant information is provided from Wikipedia and Google.

I can find no settings or option relating to dictionary searches in either ios or the kobo app.

Am I overlooking something here??

Puzzled...
GVC2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
I have a feeling I know what this might be, have a read through the following and let me know if it helps at all:

I have upgraded to iOS 7 and the Dictionary does not function in the Kobo application. Why is this?
There are two main reasons for this:
1. You are running a version of the Kobo application earlier than v6.0. Prior versions of the application are not fully compatible with iOS 7. The solution is to upgrade to v6.0 or later of the Kobo application

2. There currently appears to be a bug in iOS 7 whereby if you have upgraded using the Over The Air method (Go into Settings app, select General, then Software Update and download and install the update), that iOS 7 will lose the previously installed / selected dictionary.

If you happen to find yourself in this situation, there is a workaround:

a) Launch the Notes application on the iOS device

b) Type in a new word, select it, and select the Define option from the small menu that appears

c) You will usually see "Definition Not Found". There may be an option to download the dictionary, if so, select that option and skip to step f

d) Tap the Manage button. This will present a list of dictionaries that can be installed. Tap the icon on the far right of the item to initiate the download.

e) Once downloaded, tap the Define button in the top left of the dialog to return to the define screen. It should now display the definition of the word

f) Switch to the Kobo application and select a word, the dictionary dialog should appear and the definition of the word, if one is correctly found, should be displayed.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
GVC2031
Enthusiast
GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina
Thank you, Sharkus. Your solution worked perfectly. I downloaded the appropriate dictionary and now all is well in the household.
GVC2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVC2031 View Post
Thank you, Sharkus. Your solution worked perfectly. I downloaded the appropriate dictionary and now all is well in the household.
Thanks for reporting back that it worked
Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2; Kobo Aura One; iPad Pro 9.7
Thank you, Sharkus! This fixed the problem for me. I downloaded the dictionary by selecting a word on a webpage in Safari. Yet another bug caused by an an OTA update. Annoying!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thank you, Sharkus! This fixed the problem for me. I downloaded the dictionary by selecting a word on a webpage in Safari. Yet another bug caused by an an OTA update. Annoying!
You're welcome
Old 07-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
bringer666
bringer666 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Thank you Sharkus! I just loaded my new iPhone 6 and I have the Kobo app and it did not have any dictionary. I followed your instructions and now it works perfectly.
Fabulous!!
bringer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:32 AM   #8
Barefooted
Barefooted began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura
Talking Wow! Thanks!

That was such an easy, quick fix. My daughter, a reluctant reader, will read in the kobo app on her ipad. She often needs to find definitions within a book for school work. It will make her day to know her kobo app dictionary is fixed. What's more she'll be very impressed that her mum did it Thanks so much Sharkus! You have improved our extra tutoring sessions so much I am very grateful.
Barefooted is offline   Reply With Quote