Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
droopy
Enthusiast
droopy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma (on its way to me)
Smile What cover do you recommend for my new Forma?

My dear mom just gifted me with a Forma. (It's still not in my hands.) This will be my first ereader ever.

What cover/case do you recommend?

I see some cases with origami folding, which, I believe, lets you put it on a table in either portrait or landscape orientation, hands-free.

What I want in a case, firstly, is that it protects the screen when it's in my backpack/bag.

I don't know how important the awake/sleep mode of the original Kobo-branded cover is for me, as I've never had one. Would love to hear your thoughts the benefits or uselessness of this.

I'd be open to any opinions or advice or suggestions about covers or a specific cover or whatever.

Thanks.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Evangelist
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Aura, Mini; Kindle PaperWhite
The sleep-cover function is very useful.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
sekazi
Enthusiast
sekazi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017
I would say having the sleep/wake function is a must and it usually is a feature of all unofficial cases too since it is controlled by a magnet.

I own the official case as I just ordered it along with the Forma instead of looking online. I am usually not a huge fan of PU leather but the Kobo case PU leather is quite nice. The case allows it to sit in any orientation easily when it is folded. It will magnetically attach the cover to the back so it does not flop around and also will magnetically attach to the back when folded.

Looking at 3rd party cases like the MOSISO I am not sure how well I would like it. The two major differences I see in the photos are a much shinier PU leather and the edge with the buttons is not flush like the Official case. I would assume it has the same magnets as the official case so the front can attach to the back and when folded it will stay attached to the back too.

For me I am more in the lookout for a fabric case like I have for my Kindle Oasis and Fire but have not found any yet.

I tried a screen protector because as far as I can tell the screen is made of plastic but I removed it in less than a day because of light bleed along the edges of the screen protector was annoying and having a case should be enough for me.
sekazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
droopy
Enthusiast

Thanks Robert and sekazi for your comments.

So I'll make sure I get a case with magnets. Glad to hear that it is a usual feature of all cases, even unofficial ones.

How big is the risk of the case opening up when it's jumbling around my bag/backpack. Is the magnet strong enough to keep the case from flapping open? I don't want to get a scratch on the screen. Are some cases' magnets stronger than others? Are some cases more secure (less prone to accidentally opening) than others?
Old 03-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
droopy
Enthusiast

If anyone here has bought an unofficial case for their Forma, I'd love to hear your verdict!
Advert
Old 03-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Please don't mass PM users who happen to have a Forma listed in their device info, that comes off as a bit rude .

That said, I'm using, as usual, a $5 neoprene sleeve. Absolutely not adapted to the Forma's form factor, but, eh, that was an early purchase, and it was cheap. Does what I need it to (which is essentially ensuring the case gets a fine printing of dust instead of the device, and being able to throw it in a bag without a second thought), though, so I'm happy.

I've never cared for the sleepcover feature, and I'm a "naked device" kind of guy. The only devices which have a cover with a specific feature builtin is because that feature had a significant appeal to me (i.e., a light, as my K2, K3 & Kindle Touch covers do).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-20-2019 at 01:54 PM.
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I bought the official cover because it was cheaper as a bundle from WalMart and the 'ship to store' discount meant the cover was essentially free.

It's light, it's slim, the magnet is strong enough to keep it closed in my purse - it works well and I feel the Forma is well protected.

I'm not sure I'd pay $50 for it, though, if there were anything else comparable available.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
gldnbrwncouches
gldnbrwncouches doesn't littergldnbrwncouches doesn't litter

Device: Nook ST, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kobo Forma
Quote:
If anyone here has bought an unofficial case for their Forma, I'd love to hear your verdict!
I purchased a third-party case from Amazon for my wife's Forma and it serves its purpose well enough.

I actually got the MOSISO case that @sekazi linked to:

Quote:
Looking at 3rd party cases like the MOSISO I am not sure how well I would like it. The two major differences I see in the photos are a much shinier PU leather and the edge with the buttons is not flush like the Official case.
In my wife's case, we got the rose gold color case, so the "shinier PU leather" wasn't too much of a factor, but I get the feeling I would like a more matte like appearance on mine.

Quote:
I would assume it has the same magnets as the official case so the front can attach to the back and when folded it will stay attached to the back too.
The three magnets in part of the cover that rests on the front when the device is closed works for sleep/wake purposes fine, and they are plenty strong for us, but it hasn't been tossed into a bag with other items yet. It should be noted that there doesn't seem to be any magnets in the back of the case to hold the cover flap out of the way like it was mentioned the official one might, just the ones in the front flap to hold it closed or in origami mode.

No verdict from me on durability since we've only had it a month, but overall, a solid 4 out of 5 for the case/cover. Maybe even a 4.5 out of 5 since I didn't originally know that the official case had the magnets on the back and is apparently a "missing feature" on mine. Plus, it's significantly cheaper than the official one.
gldnbrwncouches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #9
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I bought this one from AmazonUK. It seems to do a very good job. I bought the Rose Gold but there are plenty of other colour options.
  • The Sleep/Wake magnet works perfectly. Unlike many ereader cases over the years, it does not have the problem of the sleep magnet switching the reader off when the front cover is folded to the back.
  • The clip-in shell case is flexible TPU rather than hard plastic so it's quick & easy to remove the cover if/when you want. Also it's unlikely that the corners will crack which is another common complaint with hard plastic shells.
  • If I have a complaint it's this ... the cut-out for the charging port is in the right place, however the port is quite close to the top edge of the rubber rim of the shell. The chunky plastic 'collar' behind the metal micro-USB tip of the charging cable will push against this rubber rim. You need a charging cable which attaches very firmly so that it moves the flexible rubber rim out of the way while charging. If the cable fit is too loose the rubber rim can push back against the cable collar and possibly cause a dodgy connection.
All in all I'm very happy with my purchase.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM   #10
Odyssee
Enthusiast
Odyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi NiLuJe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That said, I'm using, as usual, a $5 neoprene sleeve. Absolutely not adapted to the Forma's form factor, but, eh, that was an early purchase, and it was cheap. Does what I need it to (which is essentially ensuring the case gets a fine printing of dust instead of the device, and being able to throw it in a bag without a second thought), though, so I'm happy.

I am the same. I had an Aura One and used a neoprene sleeve.
Which size did you buy for your Forma? My Forma seems to fit in the old sleeve but that is perhaps because overtime it streched a bit.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
I went with the smallest 9.7" one that I could find, which means it's fairly okay as far as width is concerned (not snug, but okay), but it is way taller than the device .

There are probably properly sized ones now, though. And there's always Etsy if not .

Last edited by NiLuJe; Yesterday at 08:55 AM.
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #12
maximus83
Addict
maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, PW4, Android
None. You are likely to enjoy reading with the Forma most if you use it as designed, uncased, because it is light, grippy, and comfortable to hold. One of the very things I love about the Forma is you don't NEED a case to make it super comfortable to hold, and this is a big competitive advantage vs the Kindle Oasis. Which was slippery and uncomfortable for me, no idea what Amazon was thinking there. For transport, as others said, just get a cheap zip cover about the right size to give your Forma some padding and throw it in a backpack.
maximus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:03 AM   #13
droopy
Enthusiast

hi Maximus! I'm considering also getting just a sleeve, something to protect the Forma during transport, when it's in my bag/backpack.
Old Today, 04:49 AM   #14
Odyssee
Enthusiast
Odyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverOdyssee exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I went with the smallest 9.7" one that I could find, which means it's fairly okay as far as width is concerned (not snug, but okay), but it is way taller than the device .

There are probably properly sized ones now, though. And there's always Etsy if not .
Thank you NiLuJe.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:24 AM   #15
droopy
Enthusiast

Quote:

Etsy's nice, but out of my budget.
AliExpress has a 9inch sleeve for about $3
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tabl...953307988.html
as long as it's not too thin, and the stitching is good, looks like I'll be buying that.

Last edited by droopy; Today at 01:27 PM.