Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #28081
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Conrad's Lady" by Leo Frankowski, the 5th book in the "Conrad Stargard" series, and the middle third of the Baen omnibus which is also called "Conrad's Lady". Excellent time-travel story. Highly recommended!
I've started The Cross-Time Engineer (I bought the Radiant Warrior omnibus which has the first 3 novels included) and am enjoying it a lot so far. Thanks again for the recommendation. I do like a good time travel tale.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #28082
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Last night I finished The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton. I loved it! Stunning. 5/5.

A literary ghost story. Stories of people linked by a house and a fairytale across 170 years. Told in an intricately woven pattern, each piece is its own beautiful and very human tale but also an essential part in the mysteries that link all the pieces together. A large cast of diverse characters, wonderfully and deftly portrayed. It is not fast paced, but flows in deceptively gentle currents that sweep you along until the links start to drop into place and the whole remarkable story becomes clear and quite devastating. It does become quite a complex story but it is clearly told and very satisfying. I'm looking forward to revisiting it, as I think that will add even more.
I think you've talked me in to giving it a go

EDIT: Just had a look on Amazon and it's £9.49 for the Kindle edition. Might just wait a bit to see if it comes on offer...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #28083
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I think you've talked me in to giving it a go

EDIT: Just had a look on Amazon and it's £9.49 for the Kindle edition. Might just wait a bit to see if it comes on offer...
I understand. I grabbed it when Kobo had it on special a couple of weeks ago (I won't tell you the price, it will only upset you), now they're asking AUD$25.51! (Was $22 a couple of days ago.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #28084
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2 v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
(Was $22 a couple of days ago.)
Currently $22.97NZ - first time I've seen a book offered at a lower price on Kobo NZ than Kobo AU
stuartjmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #28085
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've started The Cross-Time Engineer (I bought the Radiant Warrior omnibus which has the first 3 novels included) and am enjoying it a lot so far. Thanks again for the recommendation. I do like a good time travel tale.
Pleased to hear you're enjoying it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #28086
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I am glad you are enjoying it. Harry's posts have made me want to reread the series, so it is next after I finish The Frozen Hours by Jeff Shaara. This one an excellent Historical Fiction book about the Marines and the retreat from Chosin Reservoir.
I also see that he has The Shadow of War due out sometime this year, although there isn't a release date posted. This one will be about the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #28087
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am glad you are enjoying it. Harry's posts have made me want to reread the series, so it is next after I finish The Frozen Hours by Jeff Shaara. This one an excellent Historical Fiction book about the Marines and the retreat from Chosin Reservoir.
I also see that he has The Shadow of War due out sometime this year, although there isn't a release date posted. This one will be about the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Apache
I remember reading the first several, but never finished the rest. They were a bit controversial at the time they came out since Conrad's harem was two 14 year old girls, if I recall correctly (it has been close to 20 years since I read them). Of course, during the time period the novels were set, 14 was when girls got married, but the idea did offend some people. He did have a falling out with Baen eventually. I believe that I have all the ones he published with Baen.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #28088
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
I stopped reading the "Jack" Daniels book... it seems like the author is really getting into the torture thing, and I'm just not up for that.

I am instead reading Leviathan Wakes, liked the show on Amazon enough to try the books.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #28089
PurpleStar
Guru
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I finished In a Cottage in a Wood by Cass Green this afternoon. It was ok, just your usual psychological thriller.

Next up I think I'll try a fantasy. Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan. Might take awhile.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #28090
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nearly halfway through Celebrating the Best of Urdu Poetry and taking a break from being reminded my barely passable Hindi is not up to doing justice to high Urdu poetry by giving Dorothy Sayers another go. After the disappointment and distaste of Wimsey's debut, hoping Cloud of Witnesses will be a more enjoyable read.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #28091
stuartjmz
Contrarian

A Goodreads friend recommended Elizabeth von Arnim, so I've grabbed a 12-work set using some of my Kobo Super Points. Now to decide where to start - I see mention of a meeting with a cousin in Adventures in Rügen, and am wondering if it might be Katherine Mansfield.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:56 PM   #28092
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
A Goodreads friend recommended Elizabeth von Arnim, so I've grabbed a 12-work set using some of my Kobo Super Points. Now to decide where to start - I see mention of a meeting with a cousin in Adventures in Rügen, and am wondering if it might be Katherine Mansfield.
I mostly have no use for von Arnim, but I think her Vera is a minor masterpiece.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 AM   #28093
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
Currently reading (and mostly listening to) a Georgette Heyer Regency -- The Foundling. A delightful break from more dark and realistic stuff, and very well read by Phyllida Nash in the Audible version.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #28094
stuartjmz
Contrarian

The painfully tedious Clouds of Witness (two pages discussing a bottle of port that had NOTHING to do with anything, and another two pages of a letter in French, proving only Sayers' mastery of that language, apparently) was my second Wimsey and my second 1-star Wimsey. I need a palate cleanser before giving her another shot at redemption, so it's back to Kim, a copy downloaded from here at mobilereads, aptly enough
Old 02-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #28095
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
The painfully tedious Clouds of Witness (two pages discussing a bottle of port that had NOTHING to do with anything, and another two pages of a letter in French, proving only Sayers' mastery of that language, apparently) was my second Wimsey and my second 1-star Wimsey. I need a palate cleanser before giving her another shot at redemption,
Why bother? There are a lot of books out there and reading time is precious. Two stabs at an author would seem to me to be sufficient.

My own opinion is that Clouds of Witness is markedly better than Whose Body? (which I enjoyed). Sayers continued to improve, but the biggest jump occurred between those two books. I suspect she's just not to your taste. Peter continues to live large and play the silly ass, and while he gets more serious as the series progresses, Sayers also starts to take him more seriously, to the point of getting a little silly herself.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote