Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2019, 02:27 AM   #8146
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A number of posts discussing a pirate book site have been deleted from this thread. Please don't name such sites.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #8147
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A number of posts discussing a pirate book site have been deleted from this thread. Please don't name such sites.
Ooops, didn't know it was. Sorry, I guess I should have looked more closely.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #8148
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool pirate book site

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ooops, didn't know it was. Sorry, I guess I should have looked more closely.

Hitch
Sorry about that Harry. A site which looked so professional and that offered 24 hour support did not click my radar. What was it that tipped you off to it being a "pirate book site"?

Again, sorry, I'll be more careful and discrete in the future.

Last edited by alansplace; 02-01-2019 at 04:57 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #8149
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Sorry about that Harry. A site which looked so professional and that offered 24 hour support did not click my radar. What was it that tipped you off to it being a "pirate book site"?

Again, sorry, I'll be more careful and discrete in the future.

Actually, I'm wondering this too. I now can't recall the name, of course, so I can't go investigate, senile old bat that I am...

Hitch
Old 02-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #8150
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool pirate book site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Actually, I'm wondering this too. I now can't recall the name, of course, so I can't go investigate, senile old bat that I am...

Hitch
Now with the help of modern electronics, the internet and me (also a senile old bat) you can go investigate, you senile old bat. (see private)

Old 02-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #8151
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Quite simply put: it was their impossible bundle pricing. No upstart site (they only have 500 eBook titles) can offer all the Game of Thrones audiobooks for $19.99. 11 Harry Potter ebooks for $9.99? 42 John Grisham titles for $29.99?? C'mon... who's even entertaining the notion they're legit?

Never mind the claim of "Compatible with All Devices." Not a single one of the titles I saw are available anywhere without DRM. So how exactly is this 500-title eBook store going to sell you huge bundles of Kindlebooks that are going to be keyed to your Amazon account without running the sale through Amazon (who can't sell bundles of ebooks themselves that cheaply)? The answer is: they're not. They're going to sell you pirated, DRM-free copies of retail ebooks in any format you want.

That site just screamed piracy.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-02-2019 at 01:06 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #8152
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Quite simply put: it was their impossible bundle pricing. No upstart site (they only have 500 eBook titles) can offer all the Game of Thrones audiobooks for $19.99. 11 Harry Potter ebooks for $9.99? 42 John Grisham titles for $29.99?? C'mon... who's even entertaining the notion they're legit?
I agree that they are el-cheapo. And they SEEM utterly crazy, price-wise. I just...they certainly put in a lot of effort to look legit, for a change. I can usually spot Pirate sites at 50 paces. (And yes, Doug, the old "if it looks too good to be true..." can certainly apply.) I only looked at the Dresden bundle, and didn't look around at the others. Just...glance and go.

Quote:
Never mind the claim of "Compatible with All Devices." Not a single one of the titles I saw are available anywhere without DRM. So how exactly is this 500-title eBook store going to sell you huge bundles of Kindlebooks that are going to be keyed to your Amazon account without running the sale through Amazon (who can't sell bundles of ebooks themselves that cheaply)? The answer is: they're not. They're going to sell you pirated, DRM-free copies of retail ebooks in any format you want.

That site just screamed piracy.
Yeah, it's...interesting that nobody has done anything about them. That's not typical, I can tell you most certainly, for RH or the others. They're usually all over these sorts of guys like the proverbial stink on XXXX, ya know? I'll reach out to some industry folks, see what they have to say about 'em.

Anyone know how long they've been sitting there? (I guess that's a dumb question, 'cuz, if you've been buying from them, who's gonna admit it now????)

Hitch
Old 02-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #8153
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD10, Galaxy S9+, Surface Pro 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
In today's "State of The Sanderson 2018" post Brandon Sanderson announced Death (Without Pizza).

(Emphasis added.) More at the source.
"It is a Dresden Files-esque urban fantasy series set in London, starring a necromancer. (With a very Sanderson-style take on necromancy.)"

Ohhh .... ahhhh!
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #8154
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Strand Magazine: There’s Something About Harry

Quote:
There’s Something About Harry: A Look into Jim Butcher’s Character Harry Dresden
Posted on July 27, 2018 by Kurt Anthony Krug
There’s Something About Harry
Jim Butcher talks about the evolution of his character Harry Dresden

New York Times best-selling novelist Jim Butcher hates telling people no.

That’s why he’s written a dozen different short stories for a dozen different anthologies featuring his famous creation Harry Dresden, the protagonist of The Dresden Files, a critically acclaimed series of urban fantasy novels. However, since many fans can’t afford to buy twelve different anthologies, Jim Butcher has collected the short stories in the recently released Brief Cases . . . READ ARTICLE HERE!

Last edited by alansplace; 02-04-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #8155
cc_in_oh
Addict
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Interesting that that Strand cover shows Jo Nesbo - I'm just finishing his Harry Hole series...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #8156
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool twitter traffic . . .

facebook.com/thejimbutcherauthor/posts/10155889821682124 …

Merry Christmas take two, @longshotauthor fans! Try this link instead.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:05 AM   #8157
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dresden Files TV Series

Complete article is HERE!

Last edited by alansplace; 02-15-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #8158
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Why’s Peace Talks Taking So Long?

Old 02-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #8159
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:

Everytime a new post shows up, I am hoping it is something new. Like a new book coming out soon ...

Someday soon. Maybe this year.
DuckieTigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #8160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Everytime a new post shows up, I am hoping it is something new. Like a new book coming out soon ...

Someday soon. Maybe this year.

I'm thinking the new book won't be out until next year sometime.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy