Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
christos312
christos312 began at the beginning.

Device: none
A question that i didn't find an answer yet

Hello everyone.

I am interested to buy and ebook reader, i am thinking to buy Sony prs-600 but i want to resolve this little detail before i give money for it.

I am not interested in books like Novels · Dramas or what ever

what i am interested for is some tutorial books that you can find in the internet about programming languages.

Now my question is: Can the PRS-600 recognize these kind of pdf files? i will not buy them from anywhere i will not download them from any library or ebook store whatever is just some pdf files that i found on the Internet and i want to read them on ebook reader because i cannot read at the computer screen.

So if i buy the sony PRS-600 i will can read those kind of files or i will have to download books specifically from some ebook stores??

Thanks in advance
christos312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No 6" device is a good choice for reading large-format PDFs. You really need a larger format screen; the best currently available by far is the iRex DR1000S. If you are in the USA, the Kindle DX is a possible, although significantly poorer, alternative.

There should be many more large-screen devices coming onto the market during 2010.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
christos312

Wow thanks for the fast response...

So what is not good about the 6'' devices is that they cannot display this kind of PDF files?

Is there any converter? That can make the large-format PDF be acceptable at 6'' devices?

Because the iRex DR1000S is a little bit expensive
Old 11-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem lies not with the reader, but with the PDF format. PDF is designed to be a reproduction of a specific-sized printed page; that is a task which is does extremely well.

The issue is that a 6" Reader has a 9x12cm screen. Cut out a piece of paper that size and compare it to a page in one of your books. You'll find that it's a lot smaller.

There's just no good way to reduce the size of a PDF page. Some pages can "reflow" to handle a smaller screen, but it's a "hit and miss" affair and, especially with complex technical layouts, very often just doesn't work at all well.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
christos312

Thank you very much for you response!!!

My question has been answered... at last

Last edited by christos312; 11-27-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Something like a netbook would be a much better choice for reading your technical PDFs.