Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-23-2021, 04:47 PM   #29641
fjdk
fjdk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roodavis View Post
Alan Lee is a new ePub only Author, so you wont find these books in your public library... If you liked the character development in Robert Parker's Spenser series you will enjoy getting to know Mackenzie August and his side kick Manny, as well as Ronnie, Timothy August and the rest of the characters in Alan Lee's Mackenzie August Mystery series. Plus the second series A Sinatra thriller that feature Manny as the main character. Very entertaining and easy to read.

Available on Kindle only, check him out at: https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/en...SelectorHeader
Thanks for this, I've read the first and almost finished the second...always nice to find a new author! For anyone interested, these are available through kindle unlimited, so if you're working through a trial subscription like me they're free to try.
fjdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #29642
Paperbackstash
Guru
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW3, PW4, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Another one I keep hearing is good and want to read, but I don't have a copy yet so it's easy to put off until a good sale comes.

I really need to stop buying books, but I have to get the next one in Guy Donovan's Dragon Treasure series!
Buying books is addicting, we all understand your last sentence. I was very into the Stand, then got sucked into a paranormal 5-book series that I just finished yesterday (which kept going downhill, yet I couldn't stop myself from reading)... but I need to get back to the Stand now and other genres/ mysteries. Need a break, been reading too much Urban Fantasy this month.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #29643
Number9
Zealot
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Another one I keep hearing is good and want to read, but I don't have a copy yet so it's easy to put off until a good sale comes.
The Stand is a must read, I think. It's my favorite book by Stephen King.
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:17 AM   #29644
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Death Set to Music, first in the Inspector Pel series by Mark Hebden (set in 1960s France). So far, I quite like it!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:56 AM   #29645
mlewis78
Addict
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I started reading Gotham: a History of New York City to 1898 by Edmund G. Burrows and Mike Wallace. I'm reading on kindle, but I have the hardcover. It was sent to me by a member of the former New York Times History Books forum. I got out the hardcover yesterday, and it's intimidating. I doubt that I will read this straight through, at 1200+ pages.

Recently I read Updike's Witches of Eastwick and Penelope Fitgerald's The Bookshop. Didn't care much for either of them.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #29646
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My 2 star review of Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8) by Daniel Silva:-

Spoiler:
Hardly nutritive, Moscow Rules was chosen to be read because of its title. Daniel Silva shines most when there is no super villain at hand. That was the factor that decided whether I'd be bored enough to ditch the book or complete it.

Having done the latter, the thriller delivered its promise by being a low brow one. I'm tempted to pick out a second book in this series, because I don't mind much being dosed with schlocky literature. I prefer shlock to literary books, you see.

Finally I've composed a haiku during reading, and without delay, here it is... Gabriel Allon, And me cannot get along, Wintry waste of time.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #29647
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I finished Prague Winter: A Personal Story of Remembrance and War, 1937-1948 by Madeline Albright yesterday and it was excellent. Part memoir and part history of Czechoslovakia during its existence during WWII and the post-war years, it was excellently told.

ETA: I finished Robert Jackson Bennett's City of Stairs over my morning coffee today. This was part of one of my goals to read books that my wife recommended to me (or things from "her" TBR pile) so we could discuss.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 01-26-2021 at 10:20 AM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #29648
Paperbackstash
Guru
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
The Stand is a must read, I think. It's my favorite book by Stephen King.
I noticed his writing style is simpler than some of his other novels. It's great for this type of story, though. I'm really enjoying rediscovering it so far. It's almost like a first time read since I've forgotten it all.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #29649
Paperbackstash
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I started reading Gotham: a History of New York City to 1898 by Edmund G. Burrows and Mike Wallace. I'm reading on kindle, but I have the hardcover. It was sent to me by a member of the former New York Times History Books forum. I got out the hardcover yesterday, and it's intimidating. I doubt that I will read this straight through, at 1200+ pages.

Recently I read Updike's Witches of Eastwick and Penelope Fitgerald's The Bookshop. Didn't care much for either of them.
Oh, I didn't like the Bookshop either and didn't get the appeal at all. It's one of my most liked negative reviews on Goodreads, which is a little funny. I had to edit out spoilers in it since I accidentally gave too much away with my frustrations.

I loved the movie Witches of Eastwick, but have not read the book. Are they similar?
Old 01-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #29650
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriott. The third in the omnibuses of his stories. I suspect it'll be good, but not as good as the first two omnibuses.
But actually, it was very good. A framing story of his time in the RAF, with reminiscences back to various times in his Veterinary life up until then.

Next up: The Wandering Earth by Cixin Liu. A freebie of just this story, not the collection of stories of the same title.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:10 PM   #29651
mlewis78
Addict
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Oh, I didn't like the Bookshop either and didn't get the appeal at all. It's one of my most liked negative reviews on Goodreads, which is a little funny. I had to edit out spoilers in it since I accidentally gave too much away with my frustrations.

I loved the movie Witches of Eastwick, but have not read the book. Are they similar?
I haven't seen the movie Witches of Eastwick, but on Goodreads I saw some book reviews where they'd seen the movie and liked it but didn't like the book. I would watch the movie if it were included with Amazon Prime or Netflix, but it isn't.

I forgot to mention that in my kindle edition of Witches, the page numbering ended at 187 and from then on every page was 187. When I was at around 100-120, I checked the length of the book and thought, it's only 187 pages, so I will finish, but it's about 300 pages. I stopped for a while after I reached 187 but went back after a few days. The book had too many very unpleasant things happening for me at this time we are going through -- one curse made a woman have thumbtacks and other things appear in her mouth and there was a murder suicide (not part of a curse). Some other things too.

Last edited by mlewis78; 01-26-2021 at 09:16 PM.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #29652
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Wandering Earth by Cixin Liu. A freebie of just this story, not the collection of stories of the same title.
It turns out I had the whole collection as a freebie too, so I've started on that. The Wandering Earth is the first story in the collection, so that's worked out well.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:36 PM   #29653
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; RealMe X2 Pro
Currently halfway through The Mac Faraday Mysteries Box Set by Lauren Carr, the first four in the series. It's almost a Goldilocks cozy series for me so far - not too cozy, just right.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:55 PM   #29654
Elektron
World's Smartest Idiot
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Waiting for the last book in the Revenge of Magic series to be released.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:15 AM   #29655
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; RealMe X2 Pro
My 3.5/5 review for the Mac Faraday Mystery box set. Somehow, it seems extra disappointing when a female author endorses/promotes chauvinist tropes. Now on to Beyond the Aquila Rift: The Best of Alastair Reynolds
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote